WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Down Jacket

Question Down Jacket

Departure date will be the the first or second week of March. I'm considering bringing a down jacket for camp. I was wondering, between the WM Hooded Flash Jacket (9oz) and the WM Fight Jacket (11.5oz) which one would you bring? I think the Meltdown (17oz) would be overkill.

It's true, my pack is full of FEAR! But I'm hoping with experience to throw some of that fear out as my hike progresses.

Thanks for the help

I always love a jacket with a hood attached they just feel warmer to me.

The hooded one has a little tougher skin than the other.

I have always liked a dedicated fleece hat combined with a high collared down jacket -- I find it easier to see, hear, and talk with people at a campsite without an attached hood getting in the way. This is strictly a personal preference on my part. As you have already seen, some people absolutely love their hooded down jackets.

If you're just sitting around it can get cold. Especially on damp March / April evenings and mornings. I recently upgraded to a Marmot Zeus down jacket for my Spring and Fall backpacking -- nice fit, high collar, and very warm for its 14 oz.

George

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If the lighter one will be warm for you, I'd go with that.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I don't know how cold it gets in Austin, but it probably never gets as damp as it does on the AT. I would plan on a few nights between 5 and 15 degrees. Figure on what you might need based on that. These temps. are probably as low as you'll see, given your departure date, but I wouldn't put any money on it.
    Remember, you can layer a bunch of clothing also, and use your sleeping bag as a wrap around your shoulders as well.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

YOu might want to check out down "sweaters", which are basically the same thing as a down jacket (with a zipper, pockets, etc.), but a little less bulk and weight than some down jackets. I have a old Marmot down sweater (can't find the link) that is plenty warm for me, and I typically get very cold, very easily. I also wear my down sweater inside my sleeping bag if the night is especially cold.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

Get the Flash Jacket it looks baller and if you layer with your rain jacket and a fleece you will be fine.

I'd go with the heaviest one you can find, within reason. I use WM Flight down pants and the Flight jacket would be a perfect choice. For long term winter camping I use a Feathered Friends parka but it's way too heavy for most of you guys, but I'm dang glad I had it on my last two winter trips.

Quote Originally Posted by George in VA View Post
    I recently upgraded to a Marmot Zeus down jacket for my Spring and Fall backpacking -- nice fit, high collar, and very warm for its 14 oz.

George
    On sale now, at Campmor....

http://www.campmor.com/marmot-mens-zeus-jacket.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Goose View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! A nice down or synthetic jacket was one of the few remaining things I needed to complete my list..

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Goose View Post
    Thanks - might pick this up for DH - I just ordered the Marmot Venus for my camp coat, has great reviews and seems to the women's version of the Zeus . . .
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

An attached hood makes a jacket much warmer.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Thanks for all the great responses. You guys have really been a big help in helping this wannabe hiker plan his thru hike. Thanks.

I see a few of you think a hood is an important part of the down jacket. Thanks for the feed back. How do you feel about hand warmer pockets? necessary or not? Would you opt for an Epic shell fabric or a Pertex Quantum one? The Quantum is not as durable nor is it as water resistant but I have heard good things about it as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    An attached hood makes a jacket much warmer.
    A good down hood is a lifesaver in severe cold. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by BHESS View Post
    I see a few of you think a hood is an important part of the down jacket. Thanks for the feed back. How do you feel about hand warmer pockets? necessary or not? Would you opt for an Epic shell fabric or a Pertex Quantum one? The Quantum is not as durable nor is it as water resistant but I have heard good things about it as well.

Thanks
    My parka uses an eVent shell---highly recommended. When you get caught in a series of blizzards and have to pull 5 or 6 zero days in a tent, a good down jacket is needed.

That's a cold but beautiful looking picture. Thanks for sharing. The coat I'm looking at has a hood, no pockets and uses the Pertex Quantum as its shell. I worry it might not be durable or water resistant enough for the AT. I plan on using my rain jacket as an outer shell but still..........

Hooded flight would be my choice.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I wouldn't worry about waterproof. You have a shell.
    If I was choosing I would go with the hooded Flash.
    It would have to be a lot colder than the temperatures you will typically face for me to be able to hike even in the Flash. At camp I just get in mybag if it gets too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    I wouldn't worry about waterproof. You have a shell.
    If I was choosing I would go with the hooded Flash.
    It would have to be a lot colder than the temperatures you will typically face for me to be able to hike even in the Flash. At camp I just get in mybag if it gets too cold.
    This can get rough when you pull into camp at 4pm and stay in your bag until 8am the next day. 16 hours in a bag? Most current winter backpackers do not like to carry the extra weight in clothing needed to stay comfortable in camp and I've seen it happen over and over again. Scrimping on clothing is probably the biggest mistake ULers make. Even Ryan Jordan on his Arctic Quest had to put his foam sleeping pad around his torso to stay warm on occasion. Why not just carry a few extra pounds?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++