WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Birch Gap Sites -Smokies

Can any one camp here? I know you have to reserve shelters in the smokies if not thru-hiking. I'll be hiking the southern end (Newfound Gap to Fontana) might use this as a nights stop.
    Martha (Lead Dog)

Images

I thought i read somewhere that there was no "reserving" of shelters at all.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Dog View Post
    Can any one camp here? I know you have to reserve shelters in the smokies if not thru-hiking. I'll be hiking the southern end (Newfound Gap to Fontana) might use this as a nights stop.
    The Birches is a reservation only campsite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmont View Post
    I thought i read somewhere that there was no "reserving" of shelters at all.
    What people are referring to when they say this is you can't show up at a shelter on the AT ahead of others and say "I'm holding 4 spots in this shelter for my buddies."

In the Smokies, a hiker cannot camp at a shelter without getting a reservation from the Backcountry Reservations Office. The exception for this is a thru-hiker does not need a reservation for a shelter, but is also not guaranteed space inside the shelter either. A thru-hiker may have to camp within sight of the shelter. And a thru-hiker cannot get to a shelter in the Smokies and hold it for another thru-hiker behind them that is planning to stay there. Any non-thru-hiker at a shelter in the Smokies has a real reservation through the Backcountry Office.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

This is one of the 'reservation only' sites so self-registration isnt an option here. There used to be a shelter here and it tends to be cold and damp.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

++ New Posts ++