WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Winging It!

Wormhole?.

My plan is NOBO on 4/13/11. I learned when down hill skiing no matter what you thought you were going to do on that mogul run it all changed after the first bump. Just point the skis down hill and go.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

As I began section-hiking in '96 I tried to plan every day and every night. Even made SPREADSHEETS!!! Never followed a one. Things happen to throw you off those plans painstakingly made at home. Eventually I wised up and did away with schedules.

By the time I was in New England (finishing 2003, skipping '02) I just guesstimated how long it would take to get from town to town. Packed enough supplies and food for that and a little extra for a cushion. You might call that winging it. Very few predetermined campsites or daily mileage needs. I tried to tent within a quarter-mile of a shelter every other night, but hardly ever stayed IN a shelter. Camping "wherever" (usually alone) on the alternate nights gave me the freedom I sought to not have rigid plans.

I think most long-distance hikers learn it's more prudent to "wing it" after awhile. It can also be more enjoyable.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Wormhole?.
    Stargate....

Images

I think that is the best plan! Hike...stop in town for food and rest, hike... repeat from GA to ME

I had never been back packing before I started my hike as a south bounder. The only planning I did was buying gear and saving up some money. I didn't even know how to get to katahdin but my friends drove me and we eventually ended up in Millinocket, ME. It was probably one of the best decisions I ever made. There was no stress put on the trip because I had no expectations for myself. It also made every moment a surprise because I didn't know what was coming next.

This thread is similar to my thread "The Mental Game: Day by Day"...

Most of these responses just reinforce that you should take it day by day and see how it goes! Just hike.. that's it!

And yea, I'll def agree with Bronk: leave the rat race at home!

Images

I gotta say: this thread has helped me on my planned (!) thru in 2012. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle resupply, etc. but there are a lot of good ideas here. That's what I like about WB.

The Mental Game thread helped as well.

My only problem is the finish has to be before 15-20 Aug 2012 so I can get back to work.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

i haven't thru hiked just yet, but i would imagine that the more you plan something like the AT, the more your going to miss and not enjoy. i'm heading down march 1st and all i know is that some point in time i will be reaching Katadhin. and thats about as far as ive thought

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzz View Post
    Wow, im surprised by the responses. I figured more people would have a plan. Now that its all settled im glad I dont have to make a plan!
    Me as well...

I'm starting on March 2nd and have a pretty solid itinerary planned with a handful of maildrops. I know that times will slip and the plan will change but i felt the need to have a plan as a guide.

I cribbed off of a 12 mi/day and a 15 mi/day plan that i found on this site, and modified and made it my own. I know it's going to change but i love the fact that as scheduled i'm going to be doing about 14 mi/day in the overall, however i start very slow - nothing over 15 miles for the first month - and then it ramps up....

anyway we will see. I'm getting nervous and anxious. I have 7 more days until i'm unemployed and i begin heading to Georgia...

hope to see some of you out there - Tigger

Journal Entries

now you've all made me parnoid that i've planned too much.
    damn you white blaze!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    My only problem is the finish has to be before 15-20 Aug 2012 so I can get back to work.
    That is a huge problem as that's about the only way to have a bad plan. Thinking about a deadline for thousands of miles is horrible, much like thinking about death for your entire life.

Images

Its really the easiest thing logistically ive done buy food walk a ways and then buy some more food, super simple.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    That is a huge problem as that's about the only way to have a bad plan. Thinking about a deadline for thousands of miles is horrible, much like thinking about death for your entire life.
    I don't see it as a HUGE problem, just another goal on top of the goal to reach Katahdin.

Besides, I constantly think about death. I'm trying to decide just how to die penniless so my boys will have to figure out how to shove me into the ground on THEIR dime! I figure a thru hike will help!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I recently finished planning my 2011 thru. I took the spreadsheet off the main page here and adapted it to my purposes. I realize that it probably won't last past Neel's Gap if that but it was nice going through my AT Guide and looking through the various towns and sort of seeing the trail in my mind as best I could. It took me eight or nine hours and was more of a way with familiarizing myself with the towns and locations of the trail than it was a way of actually planning things. I doubt I'll even carry a copy with me but it was good to be able to add up hostel and hotel stays and things of that nature. I viewed it as more of a virtual hike than a plan. Just something to help get my mind around it.

I think the only real way to plan for something like the AT is to have hiked it before.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Images

Dont confuse planning with preparation. Be prepared.and remember"life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    Always prepare for the worst, but always expect the best.

Crocatoeahh on the trail mlkelley's Avatar

The only plan I made was a reservation at the Hiker Hostel. Didn't even have a guide book 'till Neels Gap. IMHO, plans might be needed to build a house, but not hike a trail. YMMV

Images

Don't listen to these people, you need a detailed plan and itinerary so that you can make sure to always have a supply of dried cuttlefish and can scout in advance for restaurants with flaccid fries.

Images

Bacon! One must have maps to find Bacon in the wild!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Sickmont View Post
    Bacon! One must have maps to find Bacon in the wild!
    I'm leaving all my gear at home and just carrying a pig and a skillet through the trail. That way if I need shelter or water, I can barter the gear for some bacon. Yea it may be tough, but hey, I'll have a whole bunch of bacon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++