WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHiker2011 View Post
    I am not just talking out my ass about the trail.
    Someone else's, perhaps?

I will become a contributing member at some point soon so I can edit out or delete my above personal comment.

wisconsonhiker2011 reminds me of a young me.

in my zygote days.
    matthewski

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

SNP
    GSMNP
    C&O
    BRP
    Harpers Ferry
    Overmountain Trail
    Good guess but no cigar.
    no OVT. DWG.
    Mount Rogers National Recreation Area is considered one of the six.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwanger View Post
    Wow... Hypothetical future dystopian Appalachian Trail theories... While they stem from a real concern, why don't we focus our energy not on insane hypothetical future solutions, but on encouraging the cleaning and care taking of the trail today.

"2: Require thru-hikers to purchase a National Trail tag of some sort, say starting at $250. ( this will keep many of the crazies and undesirables off the trail as well if strictly enforced )"
    - Honestly this idea disgusts me.... I don't know what else to say about it...Hey let's charge unreasonable amounts of money for people to use the "Peoples Trail", because the poor are crazy and undesirable of course... Imagine what the enforcement of this would mean... Fail

I do not see how charging $250 to thru-hikers is so bad, simply because they seem to find the money to thru-hike which costs thousands based on estimates I find here on this site, and on others. I am sure they can afford it, and should be glad to pay that money that will go directly to the trail, every single penny.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

I do not see how charging $250 to thru-hikers is so bad, simply because they seem to find the money to thru-hike which costs thousands based on estimates I find here on this site, and on others. I am sure they can afford it, and should be glad to pay that money that will go directly to the trail, every single penny.
    Somewhere I read on here that a guy thru hiked the AT with less than a hundred bucks...

Images

I would not pay $250 to hike the trail the beauty of it is how it is free to walk it. Volunteering to do some trail work is more up my alley, I will probally walk to Katahdin again but i will not pay just to get on the dang trail since just buying food for myself was hard enough by New England.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AUhiker90 View Post
    I would not pay $250 to hike the trail the beauty of it is how it is free to walk it. Volunteering to do some trail work is more up my alley, I will probally walk to Katahdin again but i will not pay just to get on the dang trail since just buying food for myself was hard enough by New England.
    I believe this guy (WisconsinHiker2011) can't get it through his head that every body isn't rich and the less wealthy are undesirable even in the woods. I think he's sorta snotty myself...

Images

just a newb

If people are hung up on the $250 amount, I suggest an alternative is to sign up and be legally committed to do 500 hours of community service.

Even someone with no money can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    wisconsonhiker2011 reminds me of a young me.

in my zygote days.
    Ah, the good ole' days! Why I can remember, at least through one atom, when I was part of the big bang.

If people are hung up on the $250 amount, I suggest an alternative is to sign up and be legally committed to do 500 hours of community service.

Even someone with no money can do that.
    Guess what, I contribute money every year to the AT. Not only in contributions to the ATC but through my taxes as well. Adding an additional fee would create an elitist atmosphere and could endanger the trail's existence. I live in Colorado so your alternative is ludicrous.

Besides, if I got stopped and questioned about your proposed "thru-hiking" fee, I would just say I'm day hiking with a training pack.

(Is it just me, or am I seeing a burgeoning Minnesota Smith here?)

Unhappy

So your admitting you would choose to lie, instead of supporting the A.T. with extra money, or by doing community service?

Wonderful.

I see I have a LOT of work to do, as does my group.

So your [sic] admitting you would choose to lie, instead of supporting the A.T. with extra money, or by doing community service?

Wonderful.

I see I have a LOT of work to do, as does my group.
    Trolling can be an art form. Even garden variety pot-stirring can be an unobjectionable activity. But incompetent mucking about just makes us all feel dirty, and I'm sure you're feeling, at least, unfulfilled at this point from your failed misadventure here.

How about you just declare mission accomplished, or even victory, and move on?

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    Trolling can be an art form. Even garden variety pot-stirring can be an unobjectionable activity. But incompetent mucking about just makes us all feel dirty, and I'm sure you're feeling, at least, unfulfilled at this point from your failed misadventure here.

How about you just declare mission accomplished, or even victory, and move on?
    I am sorry to disappoint you, but I am quite serious when I post here, and what I post here. None of my posts are what you claim they are, and I am sorry that you feel that way.

I am quite serious when I post here
    No, you are not. Don't be insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    No, you are not. Don't be insulting.

I think that what upsets you is the fact I bring new ideas to the forum, and you do not like that.

If this is the case, nothing I say to you will ever change your mind. Fine, you dislike me and my ideas. That really is OK with me.

All I ask is that you be civil in threads and do not try to disrupt them. That only makes you look bad I am afraid friend.

I am sorry that you are upset, but I am not making you upset. You are choosing to be upset.

Images

Typical American trait: throw money at it and it will be fixed.

Oh, @ $10.00 an hour = 25 hours.

I think that what upsets you is the fact I bring new ideas to the forum, and you do not like that.

If this is the case, nothing I say to you will ever change your mind. Fine, you dislike me and my ideas. That really is OK with me.

All I ask is that you be civil in threads and do not try to disrupt them. That only makes you look bad I am afraid friend.

I am sorry that you are upset, but I am not making you upset. You are choosing to be upset.
    WH- While I think that the heart of what you were getting at in your OP has merit, the fact remains that most people, not all, but most, have more experience with on the trail issues than you do. I would like to know what experience it is that you have that you feel makes you qualified to make some of the assertions and suggestions that you have put forth. This is a serious question and I am asking for a serious reply, not simply something posted as the result of a defense mechanism.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    WH- While I think that the heart of what you were getting at in your OP has merit, the fact remains that most people, not all, but most, have more experience with on the trail issues than you do. I would like to know what experience it is that you have that you feel makes you qualified to make some of the assertions and suggestions that you have put forth. This is a serious question and I am asking for a serious reply, not simply something posted as the result of a defense mechanism.
    I am a A.T. historian, I am a United States historian, I have a greatly above average I.Q., I am a member of MENSA, I hold a masters in mathematics, a bachelors in statistics, and I am a very successful businessman. I am a three time graduate from the University of Madison.

Everything I have done in my life I have learned, overcome, and mastered. I have now set my sights on moving to physical hiking after studying the history, culture, and realities of hiking.

Hiking is not nearly as complex as many make it out to be. I have studied from the outside for years, and have a unique perspective that choosing to wait to take part in the physical aspect of hiking gives you. Once you start to hike and fall in love with the activity, your perspective becomes clouded, one sided, and rigid.

It is that very reason I have not chosen to actually hike yet in any long distance endeavors. 2012 will be the year I start and complete my first thru-hike of the A.T. I will then do the A.T. in reverse in 2013. In 2014 and 2015 I will move to the more difficult trails, the PCT and the CDT, after completing the beginner A.T. in both directions.

I have planned everything out in my life, and have always accomplished what I set out to do. It is this determination that has given me the freedom to hike when I choose to. Only a mastery of business has given me the financial freedom to do this.

The bottom line is that I know how government works, top to bottom. I know where technology is going - it is my business to know. I come from a family that is intimate with government for over 100 years. I can and intend to be a very helpful individual and beneficial individual to the A.T.

To dismiss me simply because I have yet to actually walk the trail is foolish. I am well aware that my confidence is often seen as arrogance, but that I am used to.

People do not dismiss candidates for President simply because they have not bee President. In fact, they vote for them.

I am here, I am helpful, and I have money. Lots of money that will be flowing into the coffers of dozens of A.T. organizations.

What I want people to understand the most - I deeply care about our National Trails, and that includes the A.T. I understand the history of them that only a select few do, and I only want to better all the trails.

They must not only be preserved and maintained, but also future-proofed.

I hope that answers your question, restless.

- Michael N. III

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
++ New Posts ++