WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Exclamation Will the A.T. ever be limited?

I am new to hiking, but from my perspective it seems the A.T. is heavily overused. I have been looking at pictures of the trail posted by fellow users here and a fair amount of them show damaged lands, garbage, etc.

It seems the A.T. takes a heavy beating from people!. I am planning a thru-hike in 2012, and I am worrying what damage I will see. I really do not want to hike a overused and damaged trail, and what Backpacker magazine has said worries me! ( A few issues ago )

It has forced me to think about the future of the A.T., and possible solutions.

1: Limit the number of people allowed to hike the entire A.T. each year.

1a: Stagger the release of hikers from the start. For example, allow only 20 to leave one day, 10 the next, 0 the third, 20 the next, etc.. which fits with my next suggestion.

2: Require thru-hikers to purchase a National Trail tag of some sort, say starting at $250. ( this will keep many of the crazies and undesirables off the trail as well if strictly enforced )

3: Every 5rd year, close the entire trail for 2 years to all traffic both day and thru hikers, to allow nature to recover itself. This will also allow major repairs to the trails to take place, shelters, water, etc.

I have more ideas I want to share but I am still working on them. I sent the above ideas to my State and Federal representatives for them to consider, and as I get more involved in the A.T. I hope to one day take the trail to the next level, without further damaging the trail.

Also note the National Trail Tag can be 'loaded' up to allow access to all of the National Trails, and you would be able to buy access on a per year basis, or a lifetime access. The only issue with this is that it has to be totally assured legally that 100% of the proceeds from these sales go directly to the benefit of the A.T. and/or the other trails one can load the card up with.

For example, if one pays for a lifetime access to the CDT, those funds can ONLY be used for the direct benefit of the CDT. Nothing else!

What do you all think? I know that these ideas are strange and some directly go against what the A.T. is about, but something needs to be done to save the trail for future generations, and heck, even improve it!

I meant for the title to be 'Should the A.T. ever be limited'

Sorry bout that.

I've seen naive before but you take the cake. Do you realize how impossible it would be either to patrol and close off the National Scenic Trails for 1 day never mind years at a time?

Since your experience is in pictures, why not hike the trail first before making any claims, or suggestions. The ATC and it's maintaining clubs do a remarkable job keeping the trail open and relo-ing the damaged parts

I also find it ironic you want to have a $250 fee but are unwilling to pay $10 but support piracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I've seen naive before but you take the cake. Do you realize how impossible it would be either to patrol and close off the National Scenic Trails for 1 day never mind years at a time?

Since your experience is in pictures, why not hike the trail first before making any claims, or suggestions. The ATC and it's maintaining clubs do a remarkable job keeping the trail open and relo-ing the damaged parts

I also find it ironic you want to have a $250 fee but are unwilling to pay $10 but support piracy.
    That was my thought to Sly.. You beat me to it...
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHiker2011 View Post
    and what Backpacker magazine has said worries me! ( A few issues ago )
    ^ this is your problem, go hike and if you feel so inclined to make a difference join a trail maintaining crew.
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

Images

Well, thats how I feel about it.

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Images

I am new to hiking, but from my perspective it seems the A.T. is heavily overused.
    How would you know if you are new to hiking?

I have been looking at pictures of the trail posted by fellow users here and a fair amount of them show damaged lands, garbage, etc.

It seems the A.T. takes a heavy beating from people!. I am planning a thru-hike in 2012, and I am worrying what damage I will see.
    Don't worry, it's mostly trees.

I really do not want to hike a overused and damaged trail, and what Backpacker magazine has said worries me! ( A few issues ago )
    Backpacker magazine is a left coast publication, in more ways than one. If there were no issues, they'd invent some to write about. They are more into hyping gear than anything else, cause that's what pays the bills.

It has forced me to think about the future of the A.T., and possible solutions.

1: Limit the number of people allowed to hike the entire A.T. each year.
    Somewhere between 70% and maybe even 90% (according to some) don't finish anyway.

1a: Stagger the release of hikers from the start. For example, allow only 20 to leave one day, 10 the next, 0 the third, 20 the next, etc.. which fits with my next suggestion.
    Who is going to enforce that? And how?

2: Require thru-hikers to purchase a National Trail tag of some sort, say starting at $250. ( this will keep many of the crazies and undesirables off the trail as well if strictly enforced )
    Regressive. Besides, most hikers are inherently "crazy" or "undesireable" - or even mweinstones.

3: Every 5rd year, close the entire trail for 2 years to all traffic both day and thru hikers, to allow nature to recover itself. This will also allow major repairs to the trails to take place, shelters, water, etc.

I have more ideas I want to share but I am still working on them. I sent the above ideas to my State and Federal representatives for them to consider, and as I get more involved in the A.T. I hope to one day take the trail to the next level, without further damaging the trail.
    There are parts of the trail that would grow in in one year to the point of barely being able to find it, never mind two. It's a trail. It has to be used to remain a trail.

Also note the National Trail Tag can be 'loaded' up to allow access to all of the National Trails, and you would be able to buy access on a per year basis, or a lifetime access. The only issue with this is that it has to be totally assured legally that 100% of the proceeds from these sales go directly to the benefit of the A.T. and/or the other trails one can load the card up with.

For example, if one pays for a lifetime access to the CDT, those funds can ONLY be used for the direct benefit of the CDT. Nothing else!

What do you all think? I know that these ideas are strange and some directly go against what the A.T. is about, but something needs to be done to save the trail for future generations, and heck, even improve it!
    I think you need to take a hike and rethink a lot of this and also learn a bit more about the legislation and the various governmental jurisdictions along the trail. It isn't anywhere near as politically simple as you seem to think. There are several different federal agencies, 14 states and their agencies, lots more counties and local goverments, all of whom own and have jurisdiction over various parts of the AT. Many of the types of lands it passes through all have different prescribed uses as well.

But beyond the annual Springer fever carnival damage, the AT is just fine. It has survived the popularization of thru-hiking. It's been rerouted in sections, and there are parts that may be rerouted again if impact gets too great. The worst thing would be if politicians got involved trying to "improve it" beyond simply protecting the corridor and surrounding areas from development.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

And what you fail to realize over and over that I PURCHASED the 2011 Companion through the ATC store.

3: Every 5rd year,
    enough said

I know for now it seems hard to enforce, but I am talking 50-100 years out. How well will the trail be then?

One day we will have the technology to implant a tracking tag in all newborn babies, and it will take a few generations to implement but it will be set up so if someone steps on the closed trail that is not supposed to be there, their universal account is charged the fee.

For this to work the word has to get out that the trails are closed, or else the fine based on nextgen GPS tagging is enforced.

I agree that NOW it is hard to enforce, but we can still charge people to walk the trail, and earn valuable cash for our national trails. Sure, until technology catches up it will be impossible to enforce, but at least those who truly care about the trail can pay to walk it.

We charge for National Parks, I do not think this is much of a leap.

Thumbs down

I am just trying to throw ideas out for the future of the A.T.
    Sure, I won't be hiking it until 2012, but I still think it's OK to talk about the trail and it's future even if you did not walk the entire thing yet. In fact, I think not walking the trail yet brings a perspective that people who have walked the trail lose once they walk the trail.

I understand some of my ideas are wild, but it was a wild idea that created the A.T. in the first place.

All I ask is that we be civil to each other in discussion.
    Last edited by Alligator; 01-29-2011 at 14:09. Reason: Quoted posted was removed.

Images

I know for now it seems hard to enforce, but I am talking 50-100 years out. How well will the trail be then?

One day we will have the technology to implant a tracking tag in all newborn babies, and it will take a few generations to implement but it will be set up so if someone steps on the closed trail that is not supposed to be there, their universal account is charged the fee.

For this to work the word has to get out that the trails are closed, or else the fine based on nextgen GPS tagging is enforced.

I agree that NOW it is hard to enforce, but we can still charge people to walk the trail, and earn valuable cash for our national trails. Sure, until technology catches up it will be impossible to enforce, but at least those who truly care about the trail can pay to walk it.

We charge for National Parks, I do not think this is much of a leap.
    I'm about as liberal as a gay mexican at a pro choice rally in San Fransisco but you make me look like John McCain.

WOW! GA-ME 2010 and I didnt see anything that bad that would scare me, "damaged areas" Trail clubs do an amazing job..if ur so worried why don't u pick up a shovel and join a trail club...instead of sitting on ur ass writting to state and fedral people...yea cause they don't have other large isses to tackle. The trail was built for everyone to use...not just people who can shell out ur 250 buck fine, I mean fee.

"next gen GPS"...are u kiddin me? I can't take u serious guy? PLEASE stay in Wisconsin!!

Now I believe the rumors of Wisconsin leading the US in binge drinking..

I wish I could slap the stupid out of u

Not saying that you're misinformed but there is no way to charge for trail access within the GSMNP. The conditions of the park's creation do not allow it without the okay by both Tennessee and North Carolina I believe if at all. It will never have an access fee attached to it.

Beyond that the GSMNP is the most traveled parts of the trail and even that is only two to three months and the way they have managed is by concentrating the impact of people in shelters and campsites. There are numerous ways to control hiker impact.

So again not saying you're misinformed. You just have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

And for the political in this thread microchipping people and keeping track via GPS isn't a liberal or a conservative thing. It's a totalitarian thing.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Hey bro, put down '1984' and pick up 'The Monkey Wrench Gang.'

... assuming you can read...
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Holy mackerel. I musta slept for 2 months, last night.

You really had me going, for a minute. Happy April Fools Day!
    Last edited by Roland; 01-29-2011 at 07:10.
    Roland

This is what happens when the "Green Revolution" infects young minds.

who is this and what have you done with me?!
    matthewski

I'm, uh... I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you're not serious.

I have to believe you're not serious.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++