WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

OK.Will any outfitters in Damascus shuttle us back to the truck stop the next morning?
    -208 Crew

Quote Originally Posted by 208AT View Post
    OK.Will any outfitters in Damascus shuttle us back to the truck stop the next morning?
    Have you considered driving to Damascus and getting a shuttle to your starting point? Then you can walk towards your car(s).
    Roland

Yeah,we have,and we're just deciding what the best way is.Do you know what trailhead Adkins is?Mt.Rogers Outfitters in Damascus had a list of where they will shuttle to,but I don't know what Adkins trailhead is.
    -208 Crew

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The AT trailhead in Atkins is on route 11. Is that what you're asking?
    Roland

Yeah,I figured it out.The outfitters that would shuttle us needed a trailhead,but i found it,and its route 11
    -208 Crew

Images

Drive to Damascus. Get the shuttle to Atkins. Better (safer) parking, better place to get the shuttle, you can pick up any last-minute items at the outfitter, and it's a much better place to finish the hike. Pizza, beer, ice cream, coffee, everything you need to motivate your group....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

OK,thanks.Do you think that we should stay at the Mt.Rogers Hostel,or drive a little farther and find a different hotel?
    -208 Crew

I learned from experience that it's far preferable to shuttle to your starting point and get back when you get back, than to hike to a prearranged shuttle at a set time and have to worry about making it on time for your whole hike.

Yeah,I'm planning on doing that,after talking to a number of people about shuttling.
    -208 Crew

About the hostel, when exactly are you coming to the town of Damascus? If it's a dead period in between waves of hikers then yes stay at the hostel(if you don't have too many), if not get a hotel.

You could also try contacting some of the scout troops in this area. There are ALWAYS scouts on the trail during the summer. The area you'll be hiking also has many church groups hiking due to a youth group hiking retreat around white top laurel creek. Either the guides or the local troops should be able to help.

Images

Plenty of hotels in Abingdon, VA, which is maybe 20 miles from Damascus, right on the interstate. Probably easier than trying to fit a large group in one of the hostels in Damascus.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The first week of June,and the website says that you can't make reservations from March-June,so I'm guessing that thats the big thru hiker season.And our group is 8,and the hostel hold 10 total,so I don't know how good of a guarantee we'll have.
    -208 Crew

Quote Originally Posted by 208AT View Post
    The first week of June,and the website says that you can't make reservations from March-June,so I'm guessing that thats the big thru hiker season.And our group is 8,and the hostel hold 10 total,so I don't know how good of a guarantee we'll have.

stay in Abingdon at Exit 19 or exit 17, exit 17 has a lot more fast food options, but exit 19 has bellas pizza.

Are there any others in Damascus?Because we really don't want to go anywhere after we get in.
    -208 Crew

I liked Atkins. You could get the hiker burger at the Barn to celebrate finishing and its a pretty area tucked between farmland. That's an amazing section, enjoy!
    AT2015 GA-ME

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++