WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
    I will be carrying 1 soft cover at all times. Silence is okay. A world without books is just insane. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is my first. I will leave them in hiker boxes along the way.
    I'm starting with the sequel, Lila.
    This is an adventure.

Kindle with anything and everything I could possibly want to read on it. Until my "book" runs out of batteries, stupid future.

I would like to recommend almost anything by hiker poet naturalist buddhist beatnik Gary Snyder. His compilation No Nature (it's the opposite of that) is terrific and very appropriate for being out in the woods. He won I think the Pulitzer Prize for poetry for his book Turtle Island back in the 70s.

I'm not bringing any books, thereby forcing myself to write something so interesting that even I'll want to read it.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy View Post
    Download the kindle app onto your cell phone and you can carry as many book as you want.
    We don't have a cell phone. But I'm sure many people will utilize that.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Default Books, Movies and more

I'm taking my iPod touch. I have many books & movies & games on it. I'm also taking a device that let's it run off of common store batteries. So, I'll be able to watch, read or play games with just by taking some extra batteries. That is, when I'm not exhausted to the point where I just want to eat and then sleep.

If you want a good chuckle and have coffee shoot out your nose at times grab a copy of
    "The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind and Almost Found Myself on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Dan White

Images

"And the Hippos were boiled in their Tanks" by William S. Burroughs and Jack Kerouac
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sickmont View Post
    "And the Hippos were boiled in their Tanks" by William S. Burroughs and Jack Kerouac
    And I thought desolation angels was obscure!Dharma Bums is still my favorite kerouac though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Dharma Bums is still my favorite kerouac though.
    Mine too.

Did you hear about the movie? It looks like its going to be On the road and Dharma bums combined.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Mine too.

Did you hear about the movie? It looks like its going to be On the road and Dharma bums combined.
    Hmmm......interesting cast. Definitely will have to check it out fo sure.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Images

Some thirty+ years ago these books defined my lack of direction for the course of my life.I've read both so many times I've lost count.

I'm brining a paperback and will have my husband send new ones as needed...I have a stack set aside. I'll be leaving them in the boxes if anyone is looking for a good read.

Hike On!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Mine too.

I just watched fear and loathing in las vegas last night, and was reminded of On the Road. If they do make a movie, I can imagine it would be somewhat similar.

I'm bringing the official 'Thru Hikers companion' and some other book, i don't know what....just some novel that interests me. I would survive without one but its kind of a little escape from just hiking and camping day after day. I read pretty fast so i will just get a new one from hiker boxes or something when available. I consider it a luxury item on the trail. I wont die without a book to read , its just something i enjoy.

I'm going with the original ultralight literature: poetry. I took all my favorite poems/psalms/old songs and photocopied them in teeny print on one sheet of paper so that I can memorize them when I get bored walking.

Now by the path I climbed, I journey back.
    The oaks have grown; I have been long away.
    Talking with me your memory and your lack
    I now descend into a milder day;
    Stripped of your love, unburdened of my hope,
    Descend the path I mounted from the plain;
    Yet steeper than I fancied seems the slope
    And stonier, now that I go down again.
    Warm falls the dusk; the clanking of a bell
    Faintly ascends upon this heavier air;
    I do recall those grassy pastures well:
    In early spring they drove the cattle there.

And close at hand should be a shelter, too,
    From which the mountain peaks are not in view.

Images

When I was section hiking a few years ago I decided to take the opportunity to read one of the classics. I chose Moby-Dick which I had never read, but always wanted to. Man, was that book heavy(in more ways than one). I bought the smallest version I could find and it still weighed over a pound. I also had to think when reading it. It's very dense writing and at the end of a long hot day I found that I didn't really want to think. I was in near ecstasy when I found an old Clive Cussler paperback in a shelter in Conneticut. I had read it before, but it was just the thing I needed: a quick, easy, entertaining story that was relaxing to read.

Having learned my lesson, this year I will bring some kind of fluff book; quick, easy entertainment. Don't know what yet, I think Carl Hiaasen has a recent book I haven't read and I just found out some guy wrote a sixth book in the hitchhikers trilogy so maybe I'll check that out. I also have a storage unit filled with several hundred books that I haven't read in many many years. I have no space for bookshelves in my present dwelling so the vast majority of my library is stored away and I don't even remember most of what I have. I'm planning to rumage through those boxes and pick out some old paperbacks to re-read along the trail. Maybe some Jules Verne or old Rick Boyer mysteries. I'm planning to include a paperback with each maildrop.
    Mobilis in Mobili

I'll start with a copy of The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham and The Spell of the Yukon (which is book of Poetry) by Robert Service. Both will go into Hiker Boxes at some point and I'll probably have a buddy send me the books from Bruce Canton's Civil War Trilogy. One week and counting to Amicalola Falls !

Mill-Haus

I'll be starting with Thoreau's Walden, or Life in the Woods, and then I'll pick up anything good I can get my hands on along the way.

That ought to get you to sleep. I've tried to read Walden about half a dozen times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++