WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

lol howcome? Let's see. I probably can read stuff most people opt out of :P I'm big on philosophy and have been thinking about which text to bring. Perhaps something psychological and anthropological like Ernest Becker. Learning about epicurus would be interesting, too. Anything existential, because that's where I am these days I've really enjoyed kierkegaard and nietzsche up until now, but Thoreau's Walden speaks to me for obvious reasons. I hope I enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    That ought to get you to sleep. I've tried to read Walden about half a dozen times.

I usually don't carry a book, but it is nice to find a good novel in a shelter when you need something to kill time with.

But I just bought a Kindle, so copious amount of reading material will not be a problem this year. The only down side of this is not being able to hand off a novel to someone else to enjoy.

So far, I've loaded the Kindle with a bunch of free Si-Fi novels from Baen books. I think I might download some of the top 100 pre1923 classics too.

BTW, if you find a book in a shelter and decide to use some of it to start a fire, please use the first chapters, not the last. Its a real bummer to start reading a book, only to find out the ending is missing!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I like reading short stories while I'm on the trail... that way I can read one each night instead of starting a novel one night then rushing all day so I can get to camp and continue the story.

Jack London for adventure, Kurt Vonnegut for philosophy, and Woody Allen for humor.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Journal Entries

I read The People's History of The United States by Howard Zinn and i also read Cormac McCarthy The Road during my hike
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Angry Booo Book Burners!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    BTW, if you find a book in a shelter and decide to use some of it to start a fire, please use the first chapters, not the last. Its a real bummer to start reading a book, only to find out the ending is missing!
    BTW: Unless you are in danger of hypothermia or death by some other calamity, keep your pyro hands off the books! I know at least 1 hiker that will take off heads for burning books.

I recently found a very small but full version of the Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov. I love this guy's work, but have only read one of the foundation books. This will give me a chance to get to the others. Sadly, it does not contain the prequel or the last book in the 'trilogy' just the middle three as he originally intended.

A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES By John Kennedy Toole

No matter how many times I read this book it always makes me laugh. If I'm feeling down the first few chapters will bring me out of it.
    THE LONGER YOU LIVE THE OLDER YOU GET

I enjoyed trading paperbacks up the trail on my hike. I never knew what I was going to get. Some were good, some were awful. Often I chose my book based on whether it was lighter than another book.

For a really big and heavy book like Don Quixote I'd suggest tearing the book up and carrying only parts. Mail the rest forward.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I have enjoyed John Wyndham novels in the past on backpacking trips. They seem go along with the surroundings and circumstances, plus it's the sci-fi genre that I love. Others I might recommend are the great Nevil Shute novels, and any anthologies of travel stories, like There Is No Toilet Paper on the Road Less Traveled, or Alaska Stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
    I recently found a very small but full version of the Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov. I love this guy's work, but have only read one of the foundation books. This will give me a chance to get to the others. Sadly, it does not contain the prequel or the last book in the 'trilogy' just the middle three as he originally intended.
    I don't know if it's fair to say he only originally intended there to be three. I read them way back before he started writing more of them in the 80s (and did read some of those, maybe all). They stand just fine on their own, but it's not like Lord of the Rings where it's pretty clearly meant to be one complete story. There's a lot left hanging at the end of the trilogy, it isn't one of those cases where anyone should be upset about him "cashing in" or the like, like some other series I could name.

Anyway, seems like a great choice to me, enjoy!

Default books

One of my neighbors has published a book about hiking the LT. www.cuckooandme.com

Images

My public library has ebooks online so I have been downloading some to my mp3 to listen at night when I am snuggle in my bag on the FT. Minimal weight.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Journal Entries

Strange things are done in the night sun by the men who mole for gold.
    I have Robert W. Service on my DriodX
    Be alive when you die

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    i also read Cormac McCarthy The Road during my hike
    That's a hell of a book to read while hiking.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

I don't have a lot of time or spare light for reading, but all during my thru last year I listened to audiobooks. Bill Bryson on Shakespeare, some kids books, paranormal chick lit, classics.. And they weigh nothing!

R.L. Stein is a must.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trainhopper View Post
    R.L. Stein is a must.
    need to read the cover first.... its R L Stine

student of the wilderness
    Images

I plan on reading some Muir, Abbey and Emerson. Also the book Ishmael (daniel quinn) too...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++