WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: External frame

Default External frame

So I have a 10 year old Jansport Rainer external pack it's a beast. but I love it. I bought it 10 years ago in WY on a road trip, on a whim someday I would muster up the guts to hike the AT...well I have mustered. I'm just concerns I will be the laughing stock newbee with the giant external. does anyone else use them any more? in all my reading they seem to be a faux pas. Help I don't I can afford a new bag.

Your bag will be fine as long as it is in good condition. I, as well as others have jumped off of the internal frame bandwagon (I like to think it was a fad! lol) and returned to external frames. They ride better, carry better and are more comfortable.
    Enjoy your hike.

geek

I used a large North Face external from 1980 to 2003 and it was my constant companion to around 8,000 bag nights. Sure, it wore out in places but was easily repaired. Externals are great for a number of reasons, but the main consideration is personal COMFORT and load capacity. It sounds as if your Jansport is comfy and beloved, so go ahead and use it. Don't worry about the Tiny Pack Boys, they'll be standing around shivering while you're pulling out the warm clothing you need from your pack.

don't worry what other people think!! hike your own hike!! I to am old school so to say external frame. To me they just ride better and fit better for me. I am 5'11 210lbs large frame, external frames just are better for me.
    Hike your own hike and enjoy, life is to short!!1
    ZEUS307
    "Sleep well an night, safe and sound, knowing that there are Warriors willing to go into harms way, do violence, to protect your country and your way of life" U.S. ARMY RANGERS

Images

I agree with Geek...

It sounds like you are fond of and comfortable with your Jansport external. If it is still in good shape and it still carries well, don't worry about the small stuff people say and feeling on the outside. If it works for you go for it! They carry better and carry more with better access and feel like they are carrying less....HYOH!
    "May Your Feet Be Light and Your Gait Be Long"... Hobbler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Your bag will be fine as long as it is in good condition. I, as well as others have jumped off of the internal frame bandwagon (I like to think it was a fad! lol) and returned to external frames. They ride better, carry better and are more comfortable.
    Enjoy your hike.

geek
    GEEK, i've never cheated on my external
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 02-02-2011 at 13:03.

Quote Originally Posted by dropsofskywater View Post
    So I have a 10 year old Jansport Rainer external pack it's a beast. but I love it. I bought it 10 years ago in WY on a road trip, on a whim someday I would muster up the guts to hike the AT...well I have mustered. I'm just concerns I will be the laughing stock newbee with the giant external. does anyone else use them any more? in all my reading they seem to be a faux pas. Help I don't I can afford a new bag.
    a good riding external is a GREAT pack for the APPALACHIAN TRAIL
    your not alone WELCOME TO WB
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 02-02-2011 at 13:01.

YEAH!! great, thank you for all the feed back! I will wear my external with pride!

got my dana design k2 shortbed in the mail today
    its in really nice condition

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default 1976

Quote Originally Posted by dropsofskywater View Post
    YEAH!! great, thank you for all the feed back! I will wear my external with pride!
    Please not this one - it has too much pride

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Red-Whit...item4cf4e1e90d

Images

Default Pride of '76

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post

No worries about that one getting stolen !

i loved rangeley! but i don't live there.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post

well... it *is* only $19... it'd fit in well with the $300 challenge, haha.
    "i ain't got a dime
    but what i got is mine
    i ain't rich,
    but Lord, i'm free."

++ New Posts ++