Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67
  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It's good for my BF because he's got a ton of money and the stress of his job is going to kill him. He could retire and hike forever. Me? Not so much. I'm a 5-figure thousandaire. So it's bad I'm obsessed because I should work hard and save up money for my future. It's good he's obsessed because he needs to get out there and start living.
    Yeah, I am pretty broke as well, but I have considered hiking on food stamps and dumpster diving. I am really good at repairing gear, so about all I would need to buy would be food and soap, fuel, pretty much. I do hate how money gets in the way of people's dreams. I do enjoy learning at school, but the idea of living on the AT will never leave me. I don't want to one day be like, "I wish I would have just dropped out of college and lived on the AT for at least a couple of years." The thing is, I know it would really make me happy.

    I think about it constantly.

  2. #22

    Default

    Yeah, money gets in the way of living, that is for sure. I have never tried dumpster diving. I have never seen anything good sitting in a dumpster. I find good stuff on the curbs sometimes, but not food. I'm learning about edible plants and mushrooms and hope to get a fishing pole (for ocean fishing--I live near the sea.) With a campershell, I could live a lot simpler. But honestly, I can't do anything like that kind of simple living when I have a boyfriend who is a millionaire.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah, money gets in the way of living, that is for sure. I have never tried dumpster diving. I have never seen anything good sitting in a dumpster. I find good stuff on the curbs sometimes, but not food. I'm learning about edible plants and mushrooms and hope to get a fishing pole (for ocean fishing--I live near the sea.) With a campershell, I could live a lot simpler. But honestly, I can't do anything like that kind of simple living when I have a boyfriend who is a millionaire.
    Well, there are plenty of edible items in some dumpsters behind food stores. Be careful, don't get stuff like bulging cans, ect. My consideration for town meals would be to stop in one of these restaurants and ask to wash dishes or something in exchange for a meal. Check in at Dollar General and ask about expired stock, ect. I would have money, but I would try to stretch it as far as possible to live this dream, food stamps would only be a last ditch option. I do have massive student loans, but I doubt they could exactly force me to pay them back. The damage they can do only applies if you live a "square" society existence, as in credit rating, home loans, ect.

    If he is a millionaire, you could live on that the rest of your life. I would do that if I was rich, just spend the rest of my life hiking and living outdoors, but I am not going to let money get in the way of my dreams. If college doesn't work out this semester, I think I am done. I'll live on the FT during the wintertime. I would rather do this and fail miserably than to always wonder if I could have.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-03-2009
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I do have massive student loans, but I doubt they could exactly force me to pay them back.
    I assure you they will eventually.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    I assure you they will eventually.
    They can basically ruin your credit rating, no small thing, but if you are broke and don't own anything, it's not exactly like being sued is going to do anything. This is not a first option anyways, I plan on staying in school, but living on the AT is something I have been thinking about for years, especially since my thru.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-03-2009
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    They can basically ruin your credit rating, no small thing, but if you are broke and don't own anything, it's not exactly like being sued is going to do anything. This is not a first option anyways, I plan on staying in school, but living on the AT is something I have been thinking about for years, especially since my thru.
    Student loans are different. They will garnish your wages forever til they are paid. There is no statute of limitations and they are non bankruptable. Period.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

  7. #27

    Default

    Yeah, you can't out of student loans like you can out of other debt. Even bankruptcy doesn't let you off the hook for student loans.

    I collected a big bag of edible greens today. I saw two four-point bucks today, too. Maybe I should get a gun.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    Student loans are different. They will garnish your wages forever til they are paid. There is no statute of limitations and they are non bankruptable. Period.
    They can garnish a max of 15% of your paycheck. I won't work some crap job and slave away for 10 years to pay it off. If I can get a good job and pay it off, no problem. I won't be a slave to money, though. My sister worked a crap job for 6 years to pay her loans off, she hated it, ended up with ulcers and back problems, ect. I don't even know if she even ever paid it off, they tack on all kinds of fees until it is a huge, bloated, unpayable sum.

  9. #29

    Default

    I should probably succinctly rephrase what I mean in regard to student loans. I would default before I work at McDonald's or some other crap job for 10 years to pay it off. I would work a crap job that paid really well for a year or so to pay it off. I cannot imagine throwing away 10+ years of my life just for money, though. That goes so completely against who I am as a person, as anti consumer, minimalist, ect.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-03-2009
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I would default before I work at McDonald's or some other crap job for 10 years to pay it off.
    Yea I don't think you get it. There is no defaulting. None. Nada. Zip.

    And while I truly admire your goals for getting out there and living a free lifestyle it is people with attitudes like your own that have helped get us into the trouble this nation is in now. I said "helped" not "are totally responsible".

    The concept that people can think that "Hey someone loaned me $ so I could accomplish a goal but it is ok if i totally screw that person because it might be annoying to make the payments" kind of pisses me off.

    It is immature to say the least.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

  11. #31
    Registered User Sickmont's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-04-2011
    Location
    Bradenton, Florida, United States
    Age
    49
    Posts
    382
    Images
    3

    Default

    The easiest way to avoid the student loan repayment hassle is not to get them in the first place, i.e. don't got to school. Apparently a college degree doesnt mean a whole lot these days when it comes to employment.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    Yea I don't think you get it. There is no defaulting. None. Nada. Zip.

    Basically just not paying it off is defaulting. I will make an effort, if I can find a good job, but I won't get stressed out over money. That can cause all kinds of health conditions, ulcers, high blood pressure, ect.

    And while I truly admire your goals for getting out there and living a free lifestyle it is people with attitudes like your own that have helped get us into the trouble this nation is in now. I said "helped" not "are totally responsible".

    Nah, those are the people that buy huge houses they can't afford, a boat, useless materialistic crap.

    The concept that people can think that "Hey someone loaned me $ so I could accomplish a goal but it is ok if i totally screw that person because it might be annoying to make the payments" kind of pisses me off.

    I am not talking about "annoying" to pay it off. I mean literally throwing away 10 years or more of your life. I'll kill myself before I ever become a slave. Freedom or death.

    It is immature to say the least.

    Not at all, it is actually quite mature to finally be able to break the chains of society's brainwashing that money means everything. Also, with the actual unemployment rate close to 22%, good luck finding a decent job.

    Free your mind from society's brainwashing. People are conditioned from preschool to think, act, and do a certain way. I have been literally deprogramming myself for close to 20 years now, and I realize that the vast majority of what we are taught is pointless BS, or even harmful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmont View Post
    The easiest way to avoid the student loan repayment hassle is not to get them in the first place, i.e. don't got to school. Apparently a college degree doesnt mean a whole lot these days when it comes to employment.
    I did consider this carefully before I took out student loans. The whole industry is an evil racket, with huge interest rates and all kinds of fees tacked on. Read over the website www.studentloanjustice.org if you want some idea of this. Loan companies try to get people in default so they can make all kinds of extra money off them. With today's crappy economy, good luck getting a good job after college and trying to pay loans off.

  13. #33

    Default

    Think education does not matter?
    http://www.chartoftheday.com/20110204.htm?T

    Anyway, I predict a painful day of reckoning sometime in your future, Trailbender. Good luck.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-03-2009
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    148

    Default

    You have just proven my point. Thank you.

    Not paying it off in no way clears you of your responsibility. Stress is part of life. YOU TOOK THE LOAN!

    I agree the people who bought houses they couldn't afford are EQUALLY responsible as you. You took a loan for school you couldn't afford. Absolutely no difference between you and these people. The sad thing is that I truly believe that the vast majority of the people in the real estate debacle truly had good intentions of paying off their debt. You have made it clear you have never really had those intentions. If you did you would find a job and pay the loan AT ALL COSTS. Instead you would rather goof off on the AT and disguise it as "...quite mature to break the chains of society's brain washing..." Wowww that is delusional and arrogant.

    The fact that you claim you would commit suicide before acting in a responsible manner amazes me.

    SB is right. I just hope you don't kill yourself when the day of reckoning comes. That would be the definition of childish, selfish and immature.
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    You have just proven my point. Thank you.

    Not paying it off in no way clears you of your responsibility. Stress is part of life. YOU TOOK THE LOAN!

    I agree the people who bought houses they couldn't afford are EQUALLY responsible as you. You took a loan for school you couldn't afford. Absolutely no difference between you and these people. The sad thing is that I truly believe that the vast majority of the people in the real estate debacle truly had good intentions of paying off their debt. You have made it clear you have never really had those intentions. If you did you would find a job and pay the loan AT ALL COSTS. Instead you would rather goof off on the AT and disguise it as "...quite mature to break the chains of society's brain washing..." Wowww that is delusional and arrogant.

    The fact that you claim you would commit suicide before acting in a responsible manner amazes me.

    SB is right. I just hope you don't kill yourself when the day of reckoning comes. That would be the definition of childish, selfish and immature.
    Totally went over your head. The fact that society's brainwashing is so pervasive that you would call someone who actually sees the truth delusional. It would be irresponsible to be a slave for years to pay off a debt. There will be no day of reckoning. The most they can do is garnish 15% of your wages and take your income tax returns.

    I had no intention of leaving school when I started, so that argument doesn't work, either. I still plan on graduating, but the idea of living on the trail grows stronger every day.

    Pay the loan at all costs? What costs? Wasting a decade of my life? Having health problems from going to a job I hate, every day, year after year? How is that freedom? Our forefathers fought and died to ensure freedom for us, and I served a tour in Iraq. I won't throw that away for some green paper. Next time you want to call someone childish and immature, make sure of their history, not even mentioning what someone else thinks of a person does not make them that.

    I think what I originally said still stands, one day, you gotta realize you need to live your dream. I was truly happy on my thru hike, everything since then has seemed boring and meaningless.

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Think education does not matter?
    http://www.chartoftheday.com/20110204.htm?T

    Anyway, I predict a painful day of reckoning sometime in your future, Trailbender. Good luck.
    Your prediction will prove hollow and incorrect.

  17. #37
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT 560 miles 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    58
    Posts
    8,436

    Default

    Why would anyone want to live on the AT?

    I'll take the nice warm house, cars and cushy lifestyle I earned during my brainwashing years over living on a trail anyday.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-03-2009
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    The fact that society's brainwashing is so pervasive that you would call someone who actually sees the truth delusional.
    First and foremost, thank you for your service.

    Just because you don't think you are delusional doesn't obscure the fact that you are... but enough of that.

    I assure you that our forefathers didn't fight the revolutionary war so you could shirk your responsibilites. It was a tax matter more than anything else. Do your research.

    It would be irresponsible to pay off a debt you agreed too? Signed the papers for? I mean really? Wow. Again, this is why we are in trouble today.

    You mentioned Food Stamps in a previous post. What you are essentially saying is that you would like me to support your lifestyle because you don't want to work to pay off your loan. To be a "slave" as it were. You want to goof off and be self-centered (you really are the definition of self-centered) and live exactly how you want to on other peoples dime. Wow. The fact you can self-rightously justify all this goes to your delusions.

    The fact is I'm jealous. I want to do that too. But i don't.... BECAUSE IT WOULD BE WRONG!!!!
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awol1970 View Post
    First and foremost, thank you for your service.

    Just because you don't think you are delusional doesn't obscure the fact that you are... but enough of that.

    Not delusional if I recognise the truth. Do some research on the Federal Reserve and what money is. It is basically created out of thin air. Also, we are "programmed" in a thousand ways in society, not all of them bad, it is just the nature of large groups of people.


    I assure you that our forefathers didn't fight the revolutionary war so you could shirk your responsibilites. It was a tax matter more than anything else. Do your research.

    I know why the Revolutionary War was fought, it was over taxes, but freedom is a big part of that.

    It would be irresponsible to pay off a debt you agreed too? Signed the papers for? I mean really? Wow. Again, this is why we are in trouble today.


    I did not say it would be irresponsible to pay the debt off. I said it would be irresponsible to try to pay it off if it involved wasting a decade of life and involving health risks? What if I had such a massive loan that it took 50 years, hypothetically, to pay it off? How would that be any different than being a slave? I expected to graduate college, get a good job, and be able to pay that debt off easily. If I could get a job as a Geologist, paying that debt off would be no big deal. Working at McDonald's, it would be a big deal. Things change, plans fall through, things don't work out. Worse case, if I didn't graduate, why would I pay for a degree I didn't get.

    You mentioned Food Stamps in a previous post. What you are essentially saying is that you would like me to support your lifestyle because you don't want to work to pay off your loan. To be a "slave" as it were. You want to goof off and be self-centered (you really are the definition of self-centered) and live exactly how you want to on other peoples dime. Wow. The fact you can self-rightously justify all this goes to your delusions.

    Any debt I ever owed to society has been paid many times over. I have also paid enough into taxes to "earn" food stamps, as it were. I am self centered because I consider my happiness to be my highest goal. If that is the case, I gladly accept the title.

    The fact is I'm jealous. I want to do that too. But i don't.... BECAUSE IT WOULD BE WRONG!!!!

    Right and wrong are largely matters of interpretation and opinion.
    We can argue this for 40 pages and not change each other's mind. We each have different interpretations of situations. You have to be adaptive to life, different things happen, situations change for better or worse. I originally started college with the full intent of graduating. I got the loans with the idea of being able to pay them off easily once I graduated and got a job. I still plan on graduating and getting a job, I was merely voicing things holding me back. With the economy steadily worsening, getting a job might not even be as easy as it seems. Even McDonald's or something. Kind of hard to pay off a loan if you have no money, and eating healthy food is more important than paying off a loan.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-03-2009
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    148

    Default

    I'll quit writing posts pointing out your flawed thinking when you quit writing posts with flawed thinking.

    Did you actually write "Worst case, if I didn't graduate, why would I pay for a degree I didn't get?"

    Did you actually write "I have paid enough in taxes to "earn" food stamps."?

    I can't believe I am the only one chiming in on this...
    "some editing should be done in parentheses for clarity where spelling prevents reading."---matthewski

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •