WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: The Big Storm

Default The Big Storm

How is everyone holding up in the big storm of '11? The towns nearest the trail (in the Harrisburg, PA area) got lots of Ice and some lost power. Man, I hope there isn't a lot of trees down on the trail because of Ice.

We got about 18 inches in SW Michigan. All in just 12 hours.

Journal Entries
    Images

Almost a continuous two weeks off here.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

A skim coat of ice Tuesday morning, rain today, and then sunshine and 45. It completely missed Frederick MD.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

No ice up here. Just dry, powdery snow. The Northern Whites are a winter wonderland.
    Roland

The storm was big, but it turned out to be a bust, not much impact, at least from what I've heard.

Big bust? Judging by the pics my friends in Chicago, Wisconsin, and Michigan posted I would say it was quite the storm. Lots of people near me lost power but I somehow managed to escape.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Big bust? Judging by the pics my friends in Chicago, Wisconsin, and Michigan posted I would say it was quite the storm. Lots of people near me lost power but I somehow managed to escape.
    I could be wrong, just something I heard on the weather channel.

Default Global warming and collapsing roofs....

Up here in Providence we have had 42 inches of global warming in the last 6 weeks. There has been a lot of roof collapses from the accumulated snow. I read that 1 inch of rainfall on a 2,000 square foot roof equals 1,250 gallons of water. That water weighs 10,375 pounds, or 5.2 tons. Since rain runs off...no problem. Now consider that 1 inch of rain is equal to about 10 inches of snow. The snow doesn't run off, but stays on the roof. You now have that 5.2 tons overhead. That is a load of 5.19 pounds per square foot. 20 inches of snow = 10.38 per square foot...see where I'm going with this? Get those snow rakes working!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

I'm in Wind Gap, PA and it's all ICE since last Tuesday. Never lost power. We had a dusting of snow overnight. Today miserable sleety rain. No hiking this weekend . However, the mountains do look beautiful!
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't mind taking a break - but when you have the big three - rain, snow,ice - with cold & wind.... Ugh.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++