WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Heard this crazy story about Bigelow Mountain

On my thru-hike in 2008 I was told this story by a local/former thru hiker that there was a rock outcropping on the West Peak of Bigelow Mountain, and if you climbed down off the front of the rock outcropping there was a plaque to Myron Avery with his actual pickaxe set into to plaque. The individual who told me this story was very specific in his description and he was definitely not talking about the obvious plaque that can be found on Avery Peak. He said you would essentially need to climb down the face of the overlook, and it would be in a spot where very few would ever find it. Aparently Avery can be seen carrying his pickaxe in many photos.

When I arrived at the spot I found a rock outcropping as described, and climbed down a little bit but didn't find anything. Has anybody seen this or even heard of this story? It's possible my leg has been pulled but the story really intrigued me, enough to where if I were headed up to Maine I would head there to look some more.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

I lived at the base of Avery Peak in Carrabassett Valley in '95-'96 and this is the first I heard of it.
    Doesn't mean it ain't true.
    Just not common knowledge methinks.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Don't know about the axe, but are you the Powder River that stopped at Pierce Pond, had pancakes and signed the logbook?

Just curious - I remember that name from when I was there looking at the comments from previous hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Don't know about the axe, but are you the Powder River that stopped at Pierce Pond, had pancakes and signed the logbook?

Just curious - I remember that name from when I was there looking at the comments from previous hikers.
    Sure am. That was one of the best breakfasts of my life. Tim is good people.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I lived at the base of Avery Peak in Carrabassett Valley in '95-'96 and this is the first I heard of it.
    Doesn't mean it ain't true.
    Just not common knowledge methinks.
    This was how the story was presented. Something like a secret memorial dedicated to him by colleagues and family either at the completion of the Appalachian Trail or after his death. It was kept a secret so nobody would steal the axe. But that's also a watertight way to present a story designed to pull people's legs - it could never be true yet I could spend a life time looking for it hidden in those cliffs somewhere, and nobody's heard of it because it's a secret!
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Default Heard this crazy story about Bigelow Mountain

I'm certain I heard that story too.

Wait a secy... Come to think of it, I heard it from a hiker named Power River in 2008!!
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

what if your the undoing of such a memorial?
    matthewski

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    what if your the undoing of such a memorial?
    I doubt if the story is true. It doesn't sound like Avery. Plus Bigelow was not where Avery concentrated his efforts in Maine. Katahdin would be far more llikely.

this is wrong to talk about. your verging on conspiracy to commite grave robbing.memorials are important. the family dosnt wanna ever hear this.
    matthewski

Images

Most people who would lead others on a snipe hunt couldn't identify a snipe if one walked right up to them.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-04-2011 at 01:19.

whats a snipe?
    matthewski

whats a snipe?
    http://www.navyformoms.com/group/shi...hat-is-a-snipe

Short fat little birds................ hardly ever found on cliff faces!

Quote Originally Posted by Powder River View Post
    On my thru-hike in 2008 I was told this story by a local/former thru hiker that there was a rock outcropping on the West Peak of Bigelow Mountain, and if you climbed down off the front of the rock outcropping there was a plaque to Myron Avery with his actual pickaxe set into to plaque. The individual who told me this story was very specific in his description and he was definitely not talking about the obvious plaque that can be found on Avery Peak. He said you would essentially need to climb down the face of the overlook, and it would be in a spot where very few would ever find it. Aparently Avery can be seen carrying his pickaxe in many photos.

When I arrived at the spot I found a rock outcropping as described, and climbed down a little bit but didn't find anything. Has anybody seen this or even heard of this story? It's possible my leg has been pulled but the story really intrigued me, enough to where if I were headed up to Maine I would head there to look some more.
    Its just below the entrance to the Yeti cave,
    most people don't get past it.
    WALK ON

whats a snipe?
    If you need to ask, you need to be taken on a hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder River View Post
    On my thru-hike in 2008 I was told this story by a local/former thru hiker that there was a rock outcropping on the West Peak of Bigelow Mountain, and if you climbed down off the front of the rock outcropping there was a plaque to Myron Avery with his actual pickaxe set into to plaque.
    Avery never used a pick-axe. There's no 'secret memorial'.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Too bad if is isn't true, it's a cool story and a large part of the Trail's mystique revolves around legends and lore.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Images

What's a snipe?
    A bird with a long nose that probes in muck for worms. Some people do actually hunt and shoot them, but it's about as pointless as popping timberdoodles. They're much more fun to watch.

All About Birds | Wilson's Snipe

Maybe Powder River is the one pulling somebody's leg...

Images

What about off to the right of the Fire Warden's stairs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++