WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HELP have a wierd pack fitting problem

Has anyone had this problem? I went to my local outfitter today and spent at least an hour trying on packs. Men's and women's. The problem with each one was once I was all measured and pack was strapped on, the shoulder straps rubbed my inner arm as I swung them forward simulating trecking pole movements. How painful would that get?
    I was stunned that Osprey, Gregory, Golite and Kelty all did this. Either the padding was too bulky or the buckle landed below the armpit right at breast level once tightened. The sternum stap was snug and all other straps and hipbelt cinched perfectly.
    My sales person said that only packs over 60L have different sized straps to change out. The gentleman fitting me has been doing this for almost 10yrs for this outfitter who has been doing business for over 50yrs in that location. I'm a woman, aprox 40lbs overweight. My arms are fleshy but not the size of a big man's so what gives?

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by skooch View Post
    Has anyone had this problem? I went to my local outfitter today and spent at least an hour trying on packs. Men's and women's. The problem with each one was once I was all measured and pack was strapped on, the shoulder straps rubbed my inner arm as I swung them forward simulating trecking pole movements. How painful would that get?
    I was stunned that Osprey, Gregory, Golite and Kelty all did this. Either the padding was too bulky or the buckle landed below the armpit right at breast level once tightened. The sternum stap was snug and all other straps and hipbelt cinched perfectly.
    My sales person said that only packs over 60L have different sized straps to change out. The gentleman fitting me has been doing this for almost 10yrs for this outfitter who has been doing business for over 50yrs in that location. I'm a woman, aprox 40lbs overweight. My arms are fleshy but not the size of a big man's so what gives?
    I have no clue..I carry a Gregory pack (own 3 Gregorys actually) and never had this problem with the sternum strap tightened up Gregory G pack, Whitney and Denali Pro

Does anyone know if the shoulder straps are cut differently in women's packs than men's? If so, this might solve the problem. I know the hipbelts are.

Yeah, I know what you mean...

The problem is one of geometry and how the straps attach at the top and sides and you just have to keep trying on packs until one works. You want the padding to end before it goes under your arm or you want it to continue under your arm--but you do not want the plastic slider to touch your arm. Most packs come in many torso sizes and you might want to try some sizes that you had ruled out just by measurement. Also, some of the packs made for kids might fit you well.

That said, Granite Gear will keep trading out belts and shoulder straps until you find the set up that works for you--for the price of postage.

Deuter also makes many sizes with interchangable parts. The SL series might work for you.

You just have to keep mix and matching unless you want to look for a custom made pack. Lots of people here will know about makers and what to ask for.

Some companies use different straps on their womens packs than the mens. I know Deuter does this and now ULA has the ability to choose strap shape on your pack. The womens Deuter packs are designated SL
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks Grayfox, My outfitter did say he was getting some new Deuters in next week. I'll try to find someone in my area who sells Granite Gear also. I'm trying men's and women's around 50L.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Gregory also has gender specific packs and different torso sizes...they also have interchangeable, shoulder straps and hip belts ,,,,normally you would expect to use the same shoulder strap size that matches the torso size but this may not always be the case..you may need to try different shoulder strap sizes

Images

Have you carried a pack recently? You might be reacting to your skin telling you "there's new something clinging to me in places where nothing should be". Maybe a sensation that will moderate over time. Did you try an external frame pack on with similar results. They do ride differently and most have pins and multiple adjustments to give verticle and lateral positionings of the straps. I shop at what I beleive is the same outfitter on US 19 and it is a very knowledgeable gear store. When I switched form external to internal, it felt different at first. I choose not to latch the sternum strap and walk with two poles. It all feels natural after a few days and miles.

Osprey have men and women specific packs.
    This is a comment about that from them :
    Women's fit back length shorter, volume between the shoulder straps is smaller, shoulder harness more contoured around chest, and hipbelt more 'conical' in shape

I tried the women's version of the Aether 60 (the Ariel) I could not tell much difference but it fitted my wife better than mine.
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    Have you carried a pack recently? You might be reacting to your skin telling you "there's new something clinging to me in places where nothing should be". Maybe a sensation that will moderate over time. Did you try an external frame pack on with similar results. They do ride differently and most have pins and multiple adjustments to give verticle and lateral positionings of the straps. I shop at what I beleive is the same outfitter on US 19 and it is a very knowledgeable gear store. When I switched form external to internal, it felt different at first. I choose not to latch the sternum strap and walk with two poles. It all feels natural after a few days and miles.
    yes it is the same store. My salesperson is awesome and you've probably seen him on the expert videos on youtube. So that's why I was surprised today. He only offered changeable straps for the huge packs. This spot on my inner bicep area would chafe I'm sure. It felt like a bump then rub but I was sleeveless. Maybe I'll try again next friday wearing my campshirt when I attend their thru-hiker's clinic next Friday evening. Are you going?

Images

Couple of things there skootch... First Cheifypoo has a point you are new to backpacking after not having camped since you were a kid. you might need only get used to having a pack festooned to your back before you feel comfortable. It might take a few times wearing it, but soon it will feel natural.
    The second thing is that you mentioned you are overweight. I do see a lot of overweight women and they all seem to have the same loose, fatty skin hanging on their upper arms.
    You can get a long sleeve t-shirt with mild compression (Champion makes them and they are inexpensive at Target) cut the sleeve shorter (but keep it longer than short sleeve shirt) and see if that helps to 1, compress the skin a little, and 2, serve to take up the chafing, so your skin doesn't feel it.

Sadly, in the long run, even if you lose weight, you might always have saggy skin there, some muscle toning will help, but I wouldn't count on that too much.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Toolshed; 02-05-2011 at 10:37.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Osprey have men and women specific packs.
    This is a comment about that from them :
    Women's fit back length shorter, volume between the shoulder straps is smaller, shoulder harness more contoured around chest, and hipbelt more 'conical' in shape

I tried the women's version of the Aether 60 (the Ariel) I could not tell much difference but it fitted my wife better than mine.
    Franco
    shoulder harness more contoured sounds great. maybe not as thick would help too but all the rage seems to be thick and wide padding. I don't believe my "girls" are in the way by the way. That would be a problem for some I imagine.

Images

My only advice to you would be to say, don't settle for a pack you are unhappy with. If it's a problem in the store just imagine how you're gonna feel 3 or 4 days day the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Couplea things there skootch... First Cheifypoo has apoitn you are new to backpakcing after not having campied since you were a kid. you might need only get used to having a pack festooned to your back before you feel comfortable. It might take a few times wearing it, but soon it will feel natural.
    The second thing is that you mentioned you are overweight. I do see a lot of overweight women and they all seem to have the same loose, fatty skin hanging on their upper arms.
    You can get a long sleeve t-shirt with mild compression (Champion makes them and they are inexpensive at Target) cut the sleeve shorter (but keep it longer than short sleeve shirt) and see if that helps to 1, compress the skin a litte, and 2, serve to take up the chafing, so your skin doesn't feel it.

Sadly, in the long run, even if you lose weight, you might always have saggy skin there, some muscle toning will help, but I wouldn't count on that too much.
    Good luck
    Thanks for trying to help while assuming that I have big, flabby arms that you doubt will respond to exercise. My comment was to compare my arms to the much larger arms of men who manage to find straps that do not get in the way.

Images

Most men, and all women, knew that was coming. Surprisingly, it took 7 min.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    Most men, and all women, knew that was coming. Surprisingly, it took 7 min.
    Wow I did not. Up until now all threads I've started for help have been kind and informative. How much of a piece of my mind can I give on this forum? Really, that's not a rhetorical question.

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

Skooch - the packs are fine, your guns are too large - lay off the barbells.

I don't know how helpful this will be, but i can tell you that although my Osprey Aether 60 felt great in the store, it was a bit uncomfortable for the first half day or so that I wore it loaded on the trail, then it was and has been just fine for many miles since. Just kind of a wearing-in and getting-used-to-it period. Whether that'll be true in your case or with your pack, I can't say... But just an observation.

Images

I think you'll find that if you get "out there" with a pack, things that rub in the store turn out to be just fine, but then other things rub that you had no idea would be an issue. Buy the best pack you can at a store that will let you return it. Get out and hike and then, and only then, will you know what is an issue and what isn't.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hike smarter, not harder.

Don't overestimate your packfitter, and get a second opinion.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++