WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Canned Corned Beef ?

Just finished the thread regarding Spam,I agree ,Spam is good.I think I read somewhere that corned beef has much higher protein content,does anyone eat canned corned beef on the trail ? You could make "singles" with a vacuum bagger ,would vac bagging be safe ?

Images

My GOD NO!!! Have much experience with that stuff through Great War reenacting and I cannot believe that people actually eat it. It is God aweful nasty.

The benefit with Spam singles is the easy packaging. I dont see too many folks carrying a 12 ounce can of corned beef, and if attempting to creat singles by vacum bagging I believe that you would lose the preservation of the can.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Corned Beef and Potatoes

1 package au gratin potatoes (cheese mix included)
    1 canned corned beef (small)
    dry onion flakes (to taste)
    1/4 cup dry carrots and/or other vegetables (as preferred)
    1/3 cup non-fat dry milk
    butter or butter flavor (optional)
    other spices (optional)

Bring water to a boil. Add potatoes, dry onions and vegetables. When mixture is cooked to preference, drain any excess water (well away from camp area ) leaving about 1/3 cup of water in the pot with the mixture. Add dry milk and cheese sauce mixture; stir well. Add corned beef in bite size pieces. Return to heat, stirring continuously until corn beef is fully heated and everything is well mixed. Add other spices, butter or butter flavor as desired.

Also works with Spam or other substitute for the corned beef.
    halftime

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    My GOD NO!!! Have much experience with that stuff through Great War reenacting and I cannot believe that people actually eat it. It is God aweful nasty.

The benefit with Spam singles is the easy packaging. I dont see too many folks carrying a 12 ounce can of corned beef, and if attempting to creat singles by vacum bagging I believe that you would lose the preservation of the can.
    What?

You can create two dried corned beef dried FBC packs from one can and reduce the ounces by a third. Add a little sea salt and chinese soy packet for re hydration. Should be lighter than a spam single and more nutritious.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    What?

You can create two dried corned beef dried FBC packs from one can and reduce the ounces by a third. Add a little sea salt and chinese soy packet for re hydration. Should be lighter than a spam single and more nutritious.
    Sorry, I didnt think about dehydrating. Only saw his question about vacum packing and assumed he was asking about it straight from the can.

But I am sorry WOO... what you are describing is still the most god awefull concoction known to man.

On the other hand, I wonder how Amour roast beef and gravy would work out.

Journal Entries
    Images

Corned beef with Worcestershire? Instead? Wow..
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Canned corned beef is absolutely delicious.

Up next we will have a thread on cried chipped beef

It was so salty even my never full 13 year old said no...lol!

http://blog.trailcooking.com/2010/11...-be-like-this/
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

Ummmm... you do know to soak dried beef first right? I mean that is something I learned when I was a child way back in the 1970s...

Ummmm... you do know to soak dried beef first right? I mean that is something I learned when I was a child way back in the 1970s...
    The only reason I did the recipe that way is I was following a recipe in a vintage trail cookbook (I collect them, around 100 now in my library). Anyhow, said recipe was from the 70's if I remember and no, didn't call for soaking.

While soaking does help remove the salt the dried chipped beef is also considerable different these days than what I remember as a kid. It is flexible - of which it wasn't back then. Highly, highly preserved.

BTW, even scarier is the jar - it talks about how you can take the sheets of chipped beef and spread them with cream cheese for appetizers. Y-U-C-K....
    Trail Cooking

Oops...sorry, the book was from 1992! Anyhow, same point.
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Corned beef with Worcestershire? Instead? Wow..
    Corned beef is just an excuse to use Worcestershire sauce. The more the better. As for being nasty, I think Spam tops the list. Heart attack in a can. But I stay away from both of these things for health reasons.

Bring back Maconochie Stew!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by halftime View Post
    Corned Beef and Potatoes
    I love that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    The only reason I did the recipe that way is I was following a recipe in a vintage trail cookbook (I collect them, around 100 now in my library).
    That must be a pretty cool collection. What are some of your favorite old books?

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    That must be a pretty cool collection. What are some of your favorite old books?
    Of all of them I'd say my favorite is Supermarket Backpacker by Harriet Barker - she would have been a cool lady to have met! After reading all of the books (and I do actually read them from front to back) I can tell you that her ideas were the base of many a BP magazine article/recipe over the years. She was way ahead of her time really! (When I was pregnant last year and just sitting around I read every copy of BP magazine online via the Google scans...boy that was a LOT of reading. Wow.)
    Trail Cooking

PS: I have a list of all the books up on my blog, under "Trail Library". I do have more books I need to add though...sigh!
    Trail Cooking

Images

Been searching for some of those. You wouldn't believe what some of those are worth! Might want to check your insurance riders.....

I have a shopping list always with me - just in case I wander by a used book store The list is still around 50 deep. Some I doubt I will ever find a copy of though. For example there was a booklet put out by REI way back in the day on cooking when backpacking. The way I find some of them is the referenced books in the back of books - the "for more information see these books". You know it is rare when you can not find anything out there, except for an ISBN # scanned into Google Books online.

Ah well! But oddly I luck out often at library book sales since often people donate whole houses worth of books to them (they raise money for programs out here that way in our county - and the library system is the 2nd biggest in the US. Woo-hoo!)
    Trail Cooking

Images

MMMMMM! Corned Beef! I may have to do some research and create my own CB freezer bag recipe.

I am salivating just thinking about it.....

Is it lunchtime yet?
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++