WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Guys
    Why go through the expense and effort of re-inventing the universe when the individually sliced, packaged , cryo-vac product that you seek is readily available in almost any supermarket , anywhere USA

Images

It's not all that bad right out of the can with a little catsup. But better cooked in a skillet, with a little onion, a couple of eggs poached on top, and some cheese melted all over. Take that, you arteries!

ive done it on the trail - in the can

All this talk is making me hungry..

Canned corned beef must be a staple in some Latin American countries because I used to see it i large quantities all the time in Latin grocery stores, and it was really cheap until 10-12 years ago. Now it's considerably more than Spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Portie View Post
    Canned corned beef must be a staple in some Latin American countries because I used to see it i large quantities all the time in Latin grocery stores, and it was really cheap until 10-12 years ago. Now it's considerably more than Spam.
    There was an extreme shortage back in 2011 after the U.S. Department of Agriculture discovered high levels of an anti-parasitic drug used for animals in batches produced at a packing plant in Brazil, where most of the product is produced.

And as usual in the food business the price rose during the shortage and then when the supply returned to normal the prices stayed high.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries

I have used canned spam, corned beef, and also ham (plus some other things) on backpacks. I liked the spam the least, though that was only once and perhaps I got a bad one. Both the ham and corned beef have a much more mushy quality when canned so a different texture then what one may be expecting, and usually very salty too, though I have had some canned hams that were not that salty. But after that is said and done it was 'good' taste wise, and I would consider regularly again at resupplies. Yes the can weight sucks, though all in all it is a good concentration of to me vital nutrients that really works well for me. I may try spam again, I suspect I will, hoping for a better outcome then last time.

This is a great first night out dinner, when you can have a nice fire. it is helpful to premake these, but they can be made in the field. Break up a can of corned beef. Take some pizza dough flatten out small round pieces of dough. Place a portion of the beef in the dough and fold it over.....like a small calzone. Wrap in foil and place near the coals.....Mmmmmmmm!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Surplusman View Post
    Corned beef is just an excuse to use Worcestershire sauce. The more the better. As for being nasty, I think Spam tops the list. Heart attack in a can. But I stay away from both of these things for health reasons.
    What happened to a cheap steak and A1? an awesome steak with au Jus?
    Do you get the feeling that Pork Shoulder can be upgraded? Watch Bobby Flay.. it is not heart attack in the can...

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Chipped beef is something I am familiar with making me very sick, the sodium and nitrate is off the scale... IF this is something you like and cant tolerate the salt... Washing it is one answer, cutting up a potato and adding it to the pot will soak up some of the salt. Then discard that potato. Its right up there with using half the Ramen packet.

haven't changed my mind on that old post.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRing View Post
    This is a great first night out dinner, when you can have a nice fire. it is helpful to premake these, but they can be made in the field. Break up a can of corned beef. Take some pizza dough flatten out small round pieces of dough. Place a portion of the beef in the dough and fold it over.....like a small calzone. Wrap in foil and place near the coals.....Mmmmmmmm!
    interesting... but strange... block cheese and Pepperoni have major unrefrigerated shelf life and you can make a real calzone.. take it up a notch.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by BigRing View Post
    Use a can of Pilbury Grand Bisquits, use half for your calzones, flatten them out, then use whatever meat you choose, some ketchup and cheese. The other half just bake them up to use for meals the next day, while eating supper. Not much work or waste to carry out.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++