WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Questions about a Section Hike: NY to ME Summer 2011

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on WB, the knowledge that I have taken from this site will certainly allow me to start my hike smoothly. Just wanted to thank everyone who replies on this site. Your knowlege and insight is definitely appreciated!

I am a junior in college from NY looking to take the entire summer (Late June - Late August) to hike the northern section of the AT. I do have a few lingering questions regarding the the type of sleeping bag I should take with me on my hike.

I should mention that I plan on starting at Bear Mountain, NY in late June and walking north all summer until I reach Katadin.

I've been constantly told that down bags are superior to synthetic. I'm prepared to spend about $200 on a down bag if I need to. However, I'm not sure what season bag I should have. Reading about the climate from NH and ME in the late summer, it seems like I might need a 30 - 35 deg bag. I'm told that it can even snow at high altitudes in the Whites and Maine throughout July & August...but I hate sweating on those humid nights during the summer, and I would much rather take a 40 deg bag because of the weight and cost. I will be using an ultralight hammock as well to conserve weight.

What are your thoughts about a good bag for this section? Can I stick with 40 deg down and not worry about freezing on cold nights?

Also, by leaving Bear Mountain in late June, what are the chances of getting swarmed by black flies and other insects this time of year?

I'm sure this trip will be a great learning experience! I'm really looking forward to testing myself and my abilities. Plus: if all goes well on this hike, I'm contemplating hiking the PCT when I graduate from college next year.

Thanks again!

Images

Hi Surfman:

Welcome! I think you should be mostly OK as to black flies. Some others here will tell you that a bug net is still a good thing to carry. You can always ditch it whenever you see fit.

One Connecticut tip from a local: If you can plan your hike so that you are able to stay overnight at Riga Shelter, just north of Lion's Head in Salisbury, CT, you will give yourself the opportunity to wake up to a spectacular sunrise view. That shelter/campsite is smaller than Brassie Brook, a couple miles north, but famous in this area for that sunrise view.

A CT resupply tip. Most of what's right near the trail in CT and Mass, until you get to Dalton in NW Mass, is high end and pricey. If you can get a ride to Canaan, CT, about four miles east of the trail on Rt 44, the prices are more reasonable. There's a big Stop and Shop there just past downtown. Also a good Subway as you enter town (I can't recommend the chinese joint next to the Subway, though ).
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Surf!man View Post
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post on WB, the knowledge that I have taken from this site will certainly allow me to start my hike smoothly. Just wanted to thank everyone who replies on this site. Your knowlege and insight is definitely appreciated!

I am a junior in college from NY looking to take the entire summer (Late June - Late August) to hike the northern section of the AT. I do have a few lingering questions regarding the the type of sleeping bag I should take with me on my hike.

I should mention that I plan on starting at Bear Mountain, NY in late June and walking north all summer until I reach Katadin.

I've been constantly told that down bags are superior to synthetic. I'm prepared to spend about $200 on a down bag if I need to. However, I'm not sure what season bag I should have. Reading about the climate from NH and ME in the late summer, it seems like I might need a 30 - 35 deg bag. I'm told that it can even snow at high altitudes in the Whites and Maine throughout July & August...but I hate sweating on those humid nights during the summer, and I would much rather take a 40 deg bag because of the weight and cost. I will be using an ultralight hammock as well to conserve weight.

What are your thoughts about a good bag for this section? Can I stick with 40 deg down and not worry about freezing on cold nights?

Also, by leaving Bear Mountain in late June, what are the chances of getting swarmed by black flies and other insects this time of year?

I'm sure this trip will be a great learning experience! I'm really looking forward to testing myself and my abilities. Plus: if all goes well on this hike, I'm contemplating hiking the PCT when I graduate from college next year.

Thanks again!
    Welcome to WB and I hope your hike goes well.

Late June starting at Bear Mountain, black flies should not be a problem. By the time you reach their territory, their season will be over. You will have mosquitos though. I don't know anything about hammocks but you certainly need some sort of covering overnight since evening and nightime are when they're at their worst.

Re. sleeping bag, how about your 40 degree down bag plus a liner? I hiked the Long Trail in VT mid-August to mid-September with a 45 degree down bag and bought a liner late in the hike. It's a Sea-to-Summit wicking liner which added 15 degrees when used it my last night on the trail. It really worked!

After the LT, I joined a friend at Baxter SP in Maine; I was sufficiently warm sleeping at Katahdin Stream CG on a night in the low 30s.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Your gonna need a warmer bag than 40 degrees esp with the Whites. I'd go with 25 degree personally, but depends if you sleep cold or not. 30 degree could suffice

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Take a bag rated in the 20 to 30 degree range and down if you can.
    This one often gets good reviews here and elsewhere.
    You've heard right about snow and cold temperatures in the mountains of New England.

I hiked from Harpers Ferry to Williamsburg, MA without a sleeping bag, just a silk liner and was fine. After that I used a 30 degree down bag and was toasty. I went through Maine in September so overnight temps were chillier (several nights in the lower 30's) than they would probably be in August; however, if you're a cold sleeper, you may want to go with a 20 degree.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Take a bag rated in the 20 to 30 degree range and down if you can.
    This one often gets good reviews here and elsewhere.
    You've heard right about snow and cold temperatures in the mountains of New England.
    That's a nice bag. I've been thinking about upgrading and it's nice to see they also have it in a long.

Just posted this somewhere else but last year I did a section hike in the Whites in July and on July 1st it was below freezing temps and it snowed. When I summitted on July 6th it was 67 degrees and absolutely zero wind at the top. Mt Moosiluake was freezing cold and I have no idea how hard the wind was blowing. Crazy huh?

I would get a colder rated bag.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

++ New Posts ++