WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Weather forecasting

Does anyone practice weather forecasting skills based on cloud types, wind direction, animal behavior, etc.?

The past few months I've been reading and trying to apply what I've learned by reading various books, primarily "Basic Illustrated Weather Forecasting" by Michael Hodgson.

I did buy an altimeter/barometer as well though I'm trying to avoid using instruments in my predictions.

It's pretty interesting - just wondering if anyone else is into it.

Images

I do, albeit not always successfully. Rain brings noticeable changes well before it gets to you, a slight "heaviness" to the air, a change in wind patterns, increasing humidity, and change in cloud types, and so forth. The air smells different, as well, as it gets closer. Not the usual "going to rain in a couple of minutes', but similar and fainter. Beats being blind-sided, at least quite so much.

Images

when a low is coming in, you'll notice a lot more birds feeding on bugs whose wings get weighted down with more humidity. Seeing the underside of leaves on trees usually signals a coming front as well. Red sky at noght- sailors delight, red sky at morn, sailors be warned.altimeters can be somewhat unreliable as air pressure can change from the bottom of a pass to a summit.When thunderstorms are on the way, you can usually smell the ozone in the air, and if your hair actually raises, there's lightning around.Or just go with "today will be partly to mostly cloudy with a chance opf precipitation.Temperatures will range from the 40s to the 70s depending on your location." in my next life I want to come back as a weatherman.

Journal Entries
    Images

Before a storm, you can feel the wind direction switch, coming from the south or the east, and the increased humidity. There are a few other things one can notice when studying the weather map (when a low pressure system approaches by example) and actual observations outside. Another one (not 100% reliable) a red sunset means a nice day tomorrow, a yellow sunset into clouds means probable precipitations.
    I love trying to come up with my "own" forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Red sky at noght- sailors delight, red sky at morn, sailors be warned.
    That saying must be true out at sea someplace in the world, but it sure the heck doesn't apply to east coast weather!

A more approperate saying would be:

Red sky at night, hikers take fright, red sky at morn, get up and hike.

That is because weather fronts move west to east, so if it is clouding up in the evening, something is moving in. If it is spring time, good chance it will be raining by morning.

In New England during the summer, if the black flys suddenly become pesty in the afternoon, a T storm is coming soon.

And the most important thing to remember, no matter how bleek the morning looks, the sun (almost) always shines at noon
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

According to my local weather we still got some unseasonably cold weather coming and it's still somewhat chilly here for this time of year, but doesn't seem to matter to the birds. For a couple days now there have been tons of them around, especially in the mornings, late afternoon and evenings. Numerous species and they shlt all over the place; it looks like smashed blueberries everywhere.

Also noticed many of my dead plants coming back including a banana tree and I'm starting to feel pollen in my nose.

Just recently the winds seem to come more from the south, southwest as opposed from the northwest. It use to be the nor'easters I hated, but over the last few winters we've been getting more arctic blasts from the northwest. I've learned that these new arctic winds from the northwest are much worse; I'd rather go back to the good ol' nor'easters.

I try this on occasion, with middling success. The biggest problem when I'm hiking is getting good observations. Wind direction can be hard to pin down unless you are on a ridge, and it's often hard to get a good look at the sky.

If you really want to get good at it, try checking ongoing current data at a local airport or educational institution (Weather Bug has a lot of this easily available). After tracking the data for a while, try and make a prediction based on the rules in various books.

Geeky fun,

Cosmo

Journal Entries
    Images

There is a barometer/altimeter built into some Garmins

Otherwise it's ususally stuff like this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2131426_read...t-weather.html
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

If you're able to see the silver underside of leaves (due to wind) rain is generally on it's way. And cows supposedly lay down right before it begins to rain.
    "I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." ~John Muir

Halo around the Moon usually means rain/snow the next day. Also wispy streaks of clouds also mean rain is coming soon or rain just left. Campfire smoke does not float up and away but rather stays low to the ground- low pressure front coming which could lead to rain.

Worked for me
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

Images

Before satellites came along, the Navy spent over $3 million to find that the best pressure, wind, temperature methods for predicting weather were accurate about 45% of the time. The conclusion at that time was if you want to predict the weather, look out the window today, and there is a 50% chance the weather will be the same tomorrow.
    Simple is good.

I just ask myself. Am I wet? If so there's a decent chance it's raining.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Images

I took a meteorology course about two years ago (needed a science elective toward my degree). It's quite fascinating and complex, but it is difficult to predict more than maybe one day out without having access to NWS data. Also, given this area of New England, we have three weather patterns that tend to collide right here, so it makes it even more difficult, especially with the mountains contributing to the mix.

I've come to the conclusion though that unless the forecast is for something really miserable I'll just keep my jacket, hat, etc handy and go about what I'd like to do anyway.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I have a weather rock.

Garlic
    Images

I studied weather seriously when I was a wildland firefighter. Predicting wind changes correctly could help you see you next birthday. So sure, I use that all the time when I'm hiking. I saw some altocirrus clouds one morning in NH, predicted heavy rain later that day, and witnessed my first flash flood. It works.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I usually hike with a Suunto watch that has a built in barometer.
    Of course, it changes with elevation so, predicting better or worse weather while hiking is moot.
    However, once you reach camp, it is a good idea to look at it, memorize the number, and see how it goes (up or down) while you are there and in the morning, you will have a good idea what's going to happen.
    I agree with the underside of the leaves and the ring around the moon.

Everything seems to change with location however (I'm talking thousands of miles)

Here in Thailand, it rains a lot. We tend to look for dark clouds to determine if and when.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Hey 10-K, just a few observations I’ve seen: I have learned that the winds in the mountains are very unreliable to predict weather. At my house the winds always comes up the valley from the south no matter which the prevailing winds are overhead. I do watch clouds and which direction they are coming from. Morning or evening thermal winds get much stronger when the temperatures are going fluctuate greater. Mountain Laurel leaves turn downward and curl up when a cold front is moving in. Tulip Poplar leaves move up past perpendicular when rain is coming. And my favorite, they call off my childrens school when it is going to be 60 and sunny but need bread and milk sales at the Ingles grocery stores.

Images

I pay particular attention to groundhogs here in Pennsylvania's Piedmont where I haven't seen one in months and have faith it must surely mean I can expect hepaticas before the end of March. Little could please me more.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

One that I've known since science class when I was in the 7th grade is that small altocumulus clouds that look like cotton balls means rain within 48 hours. This one almost never fails...

Also...

Smoke rising during fair weather and staying close to the ground indicating rainy weather approaching is another one.

Clouds moving in different directions means a storm is coming.

What I'm having the most trouble with is cloud identification with the various subtypes of cirrus, stratus and cumulus clouds - anyone know a good way to learn those?

I'd like to spend a week each with someone who was good with map and compass, handheld GPS and weather lore..

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Also, given this area of New England, we have three weather patterns that tend to collide right here, so it makes it even more difficult, especially with the mountains contributing to the mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Everything seems to change with location however (I'm talking thousands of miles)

Here in Thailand, it rains a lot. We tend to look for dark clouds to determine if and when.
    Those are two very good points. When I lived in Hawaii, weather was a very boring topic of discussion. Talk about groundhog day Every day was like the last.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++