WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default down or synthetic insulation layer

Should I go with a down or a synthetic insulation layer? I think I prefer the synthetic as per the usual get down wet it loses its insulation. Any advantages for the down besides weight to warmth ratio.

Probably will be going with the Montbell Thermawrap.

Images

Down compresses much more than synthetic and down bags tend to last much longer. I'd go with down. Its not hard to keep your sleeping bag dry.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Down compresses much more than synthetic and down bags tend to last much longer. I'd go with down. Its not hard to keep your sleeping bag dry.
    I agree..I wish I had bought a down bag when I could have afforded one..now I'm stuck with polar guard for a while... I had the same.."gotta keep the goose dry" mentality....soo..bottom line..keep it dry and use the goose

He's talking about an insulation layer, not a bag. I agree with down for a bag (but I use a synthetic Ray-Way quilt), but for the insulation layer, go with what's in your comfort zone. You probably won't be hiking in your insulation layer anyway, so think break time and camp time when you consider choices.

Images

For clothing? Doesn't matter as much, a jacket is smaller than a sleeping bag anyway. I prefer down just on general principles, but I have used a nice synthetic pullover (Patagonia Micropuff) too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Section Hiked GA-ME 99-01, Thru-hiked GA-ME, 04 Shadowman's Avatar

Keep in mind you may want to wash the item be it shirt or sleeping bag. I washed my sleeping bag at least 3 or 4 times on a thru hike and the fleece shirt almost every time I did laundry. Down (if one follows directions) is not always so simple as to throw in a wash machine with your other clothes.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

[QUOTE=Rocket Jones;1109343]He's talking about an insulation layer, not a bag.

Thanks for pointing that out....I totally misread that....duh me... Yep, probably not hiking in insulation layer...For winter (which is when I prefer to be out) I have goose down jacket and polar guard pants but only for lounging around camp when it's some kinda cold...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Keep in mind you may want to wash the item be it shirt or sleeping bag. I washed my sleeping bag at least 3 or 4 times on a thru hike and the fleece shirt almost every time I did laundry. Down (if one follows directions) is not always so simple as to throw in a wash machine with your other clothes.

To properly wash, dry and retreat a down bag is not only expensive but time consuming. It takes upward of 3 hours or more to prep, wash(inside out) using special soap that won't strip the down of it's oils, double rinse. Then to prep for drying, including spray on treatment for the shell. Then to dry(outside out) on low heat for what seems to be an eternity. Also, the same instructions for washing down clothing it roughly the same. The most important thing is not to use regular detergent, but the specialty milder stuff made for down goods. I also make it a point to never wash my bag in a home sized washer/dryer and I usually wash after 25 - 45 nights of use depending on how nasty it has gotten.

Also, when washing down ALWAYS use the biggest FRONT-LOADING washer/dryer to keep from destroying the bag or clothing. Has to do with the partitions being torn by a top loading washer spindle.

Delicate cycle, cold water, Woolite, by itself in a home size washing machine. I washed my down bag once a month at laundromats while I was on the trail and it came home in as pristine condition as when I bought it. Although it DID take forever to dry on low heat setting the first time. After that, I tumble dried it for 30 minutes, then line dried it in the sun. Took the same amount of time but the sun drying was cheaper.

I would probably give my home washer a try, if it was a front-loader. I have washed my bag by hand in the tub, however, time consuming and doesn't do as good of a job. Then line dried. Pretty good when time is not a factor.

I have a Thermawrap and a down (Marmot) jacket, the Venus with sewn thru construction - the down is a bit warmer, the Thermawrap bulkier, about the same all things considered. When it's raining throw on poncho/rain jacket over it. Don't get any insulation wet - down or synthetic, wet is miserable and cold, no bones about it, keep it dry, endstop.

Quote Originally Posted by flatfeet View Post
    Should I go with a down or a synthetic insulation layer? I think I prefer the synthetic as per the usual get down wet it loses its insulation. Any advantages for the down besides weight to warmth ratio.

Probably will be going with the Montbell Thermawrap.
    after Googleing your reference, I see you refer to the insulation layer that is worn.

It depends. Weight is a consideration. Synthetic weighs more but stays warm when wet. On the AT, usually you only wear you insulation while in camp. While hiking it is just too warm no matter the material.

If you keep the down in a plastic bag in your pack, it stays dry so you can stay warm.

With that said, I hiked in 2006 with all synthetic except my socks. I had a base layer of a synthetic t-shirt. My next layer was synthetic long underwear but got rid of that by Mountain Crossings.
    My next layer was a 100 Fleece full zip followed by a waterproof jacket shell.

I survived down to 5* with this set up but you may experience different results.

A trip last winter to a winter hang, I had the same get up, including the long johns in a hammock and survived to -5*.

Synthetic is heavier but warm when wet. Down is better in the ounce per warmth category but risks getting wet and ineffective.

=Keep a down jacket in a plastic bag until you need it. Its lighter and you only need it a couple of hours a day typically.

++ New Posts ++