WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default We'll pay gas money for ride for 2 from DC area to Atlanta March 20 or 21

My fiance and I are trying to find a ride down to the Atlanta transit station with other hikers on or around March 20, 2011, from anywhere within 3 hours of Washington, DC, to start a thru-hike. We would need room for the two of us (we don't take up much space!) and our rather large backpacks (we are not ultra-lighters.) We are a couple in our early 50's, extremely congenial and obliging, and could pay all your gas money. Thanks!

Images

Have you thought of taking the train? There is Amtrak from DC to Atlanta for about $135.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

I am doing a section hike from Springer to Franklin. I wll be taking the train from DC to Gainesville on March 23 630pm arriving at 7am March 24. Price is $100. Check www.amtrak.com

-pfann

We can afford to fly or take the train, but we prefer to ride and possibly help someone else afford the trip. There's nothing like being able to bring all your gear along, including your white gas.

Journal Entries

you pay the gas i will get the rental. i planned on starting 21 March but am willing to shift a day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    you pay the gas i will get the rental. i planned on starting 21 March but am willing to shift a day or so.
    A one-way rental is a good idea! We didn't think of that. It'd be great to ride with another hiker. If this works out, we also can shift a day, no problem. Where in VA are you? And were you thinking of driving down on Sunday, March 20th to be in Atlanta that night? Looks to be about an 11 hour drive.

Right now we have another tentative offer from a friend of mine in Blacksburg who may need to take her son to visit a college in Atlanta around that time, but nothing is definite yet. She is not sure whether they will be going or not.

Are we allowed to share emails on this thread?

A one way rental to where? The cost of gas looks reasonable but the one way rental looks rather expensive and you'll still need a shuttle from the drop off point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    A one way rental to where? The cost of gas looks reasonable but the one way rental looks rather expensive and you'll still need a shuttle from the drop off point.
    We are lucky, we don't have problems with the money, just the logistics. The rental would be from your starting point to Atlanta, and if you can end up at Atlanta's transit station (where there must be rental car facilities), you can get a shuttle easily from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Freethinker View Post
    We are lucky, we don't have problems with the money, just the logistics. The rental would be from your starting point to Atlanta, and if you can end up at Atlanta's transit station (where there must be rental car facilities), you can get a shuttle easily from there.
    If you're willing to pay for the price of a rental and gas, I'm tempted to come down and get you and deliver you to FS42 (Springer) or Amicalola Falls myself. I'll PM you what's going on.

:banana

We have ended up with a ride.

Thanks! See everyone out there!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freethinker View Post
    ...Are we allowed to share emails on this thread?
    Just a point of information. The best way to contact other Whiteblazers directly is to use the private message function. You can find it on the Home page. That way you don't have to post your email address (or phone #, etc.) in a public forum.

Enjoy your hike!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

++ New Posts ++