Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ERNMAN View Post
    Thanks Chief , I usually use that as a rule of thumb anyways...
    After researching this ,I find that the ocala forest has had their fair share of troubles in the past.I will be doing this section the first week of March and it is posted that these gatherings go from Feb. to March 3...
    Im all for everyone having a good timebut my concerns are the meth labs and the rifff raff that goes along with this... Has anyone recently encountered any problems or has been threathened by any way...Also does anyone see a problem with me doing this section solo...Im abig strong person,but just don t need the headaches...im doing this to relax ,not bring back the bar fighting era of our youths...lol
    People dissapear in the forest, people get murdered and Big Foot lives there, but, this happens everywhere. Just be yourswlf and be aware.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

I hike the ONF alone almost every week. I've never had a problem but I do not camp near roads or near any housing area's. A couple of weeks ago I came into a clearing and was looking a some young dudes standing near an old dodge van. One of them yelled "Hey mister, you seen any hippies?" I yelled back "what do they look like?" He says " kind of dirty, baggy cloths and long hair." I laughed and said "kinda like you then." he laughed and said "yea" . I don't think it ever occured to this guy that I was his age in the 60's. "Hippies my eye!"
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

ERNMAN

maybe you could join me for a day or so ...

Quote Originally Posted by ERNMAN View Post
    maybe you could join me for a day or so ...
    I will assume you are asking me since I said I hike in the Forest every week. I might be able to meet up with you and hike some but here is my situation. During the week I do contract work for the State of Florida. Computer and network related fixes etc. Some days I have all day to hike and some days I only have a couple of hours. So I end up doing a lot of day hikes. The problem is I never know until the day before and sometimes the day of my work what my schedule is going to be. Let me know when you are starting and where and I'll do my best to meet you and do a little of the trail with you.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

One of these days i have got to get up there to do some hiking. I get tired of all the scrub palms and the lack of shade and tree canopy down this way.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

ERNMAN

Heading out this weekend...Possibly Sun. or Mon. If anyones interested send me a ppm with a phone # and I will get in touch....Thanks all for your Thoughts and generosities... E

Images

ERNMAN is on the trail headed north from Clearwater Lake trail head in the morning. I dropped him off this afternoon.

Mike

How far? to Buckman?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

He is going to the HWY 19 bridge just before the locks, about 65 miles. I will pick him up on Friday.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mmais68569 View Post
    He is going to the HWY 19 bridge just before the locks, about 65 miles. I will pick him up on Friday.

Mike
    We gonna get a trail report?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    We gonna get a trail report?
    What do you want to know? Lots of sand, palmettos and pine trees with a few bears thrown in and a panther or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    What do you want to know? Lots of sand, palmettos and pine trees with a few bears thrown in and a panther or two.
    I have been on about every inch of Ocala. Some ancestors even homesteaded there more than a century ago. I would like to know how a visitor enjoyed it. Perhaps someone on a first visit would see more than sand and pine trees, I know I do.
    Would you mind documenting any panther sightings on the Forest for me? I'm a big fan of their preservation and have never heard of any verified north of Lake Okeechobee in recent history.
    True you may be lucky to see a bear or two since Florida stopped allowing hunting of them on Ocala. I have seen them several times.

Images

I saw a black panther near Wacahoota about 25 years ago. The locals knew about him and said he lived in an abandoned house. Two of my boys saw Big Foot near Buck Lake and I have seen several bears in ONF and Etoniah Creek State Forest. Also, eagles, otters and bobcats. Lots of wildlife in FL.

Ok, maybe the black panther is Bigfoot's pet.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    I hike the ONF alone almost every week. I've never had a problem but I do not camp near roads or near any housing area's. A couple of weeks ago I came into a clearing and was looking a some young dudes standing near an old dodge van. One of them yelled "Hey mister, you seen any hippies?" I yelled back "what do they look like?" He says " kind of dirty, baggy cloths and long hair." I laughed and said "kinda like you then." he laughed and said "yea" . I don't think it ever occured to this guy that I was his age in the 60's. "Hippies my eye!"
    Only in Florida...

Being from Ocala, I hiked a small part of it around Hopkin's Praire. Do you have a favorite part in the forest? Somewhere I should check out on my second hike?
    "Hike your own hike."

Images

I would recommend Clearwater Lake Trail Head to Hopkins Prairie.
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++