WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Should we stop using 'blazes'?

Blazes we all know guide us while on the trail.

They also defile the purity of nature.

I think we need to come up with a non-invasive way to guide people while they are on the trail. Paint on trees is not natural, and I cannot see how the paint on trees fits in with 'LNT' rules.

Paint on trees clearly leaves a trace of humans.

I have several ideas on how to solve this problem, but I want to hear from everyone here before I write my letter to my Representatives and Senators. I really want to get everyone's input so I can make the letter as good as I can.

If you choose not to engage in civil discussion, save yourself time and do not write hateful or unproductive posts. Not only does it clutter up the thread, but it also wastes your time since I ignore negative posts by nature.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinHiker2011 View Post
    Blazes we all know guide us while on the trail.

They also defile the purity of nature.

I think we need to come up with a non-invasive way to guide people while they are on the trail. Paint on trees is not natural, and I cannot see how the paint on trees fits in with 'LNT' rules.

Paint on trees clearly leaves a trace of humans.

I have several ideas on how to solve this problem, but I want to hear from everyone here before I write my letter to my Representatives and Senators. I really want to get everyone's input so I can make the letter as good as I can.

If you choose not to engage in civil discussion, save yourself time and do not write hateful or unproductive posts. Not only does it clutter up the thread, but it also wastes your time since I ignore negative posts by nature.
    This was much, much better than your usual efforts. I take back much of what I have said about you. This is _really_ good work!

Stick around. Not that you'll fool anybody anymore, but excellent entertainment value.

Images

Blazes are spoiling the water. Animals and bugs are poisoned by them. They choke the life out of trees. Increase trail erosion, although the this may be connected to the hue of the blaze. They are highly radioactive. Causes global warming. Clubs baby seals. Waterboards kittens. Yes, something that is nothing more than arguably a visual blight is worth elevated attention.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'd rather see a little snow white paint on a tree than miss a hard turn on the trail and wander for a while, especially in the dark.
    alifelongpursuit.blogspot.com

Thumbs down

Im not trying to be mean but..... you have wayyyyy to much free time on your hands.

A blaze murdered my entire family.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

I will soon be donating to WhiteBlaze, but until I do I need to make edits with new posts.

I want to revise the title of this thread to read:

" Should we stop using blazes in their current form ".

I want to make it clear that it would be foolish to remove helpful blazes from the trail, but I think I have some ideas and some ways that we can do it that respects LNT ethics and does not tarnish nature and the trail experience by defaming trees with caustic paint.

I apologize for my haste that lead to the original thread title.

Ha! Ha! Thats really funny!!!!!!!!

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I think there is a way to make everybody happy here. Those that want use blazes can continue as before. Those that feel the blazes ruin the natural state of the trail just hike with their eyes closed.

Ok i get the point of the OP, But i think they are missing a part of LNT. Like a blaze is more of a trace than the trail its self. lol

Besides LNT is not the point of a trail. It is a place for us humans to leave a trace in a concentrated area in an effort to protect nature. It is imposible for us to truly LNT, But that shouldn't stop us from trying. In order to have a trail we must at least leave enough trace to see the trail. Whether it is a blaze on a tree or the path below you, a trace must be there so we know not to contaminate a different area.

Administrators & Moderators,

If you weren't convinced this guy was a troll, this thread should erase all doubts. For the good of the membership, please take appropriate action.

Thanks,
    Roland

The original thread title was SO over-the-top, even the OP realized it. Sensing he had blown his cover (based on early replies), he made a plea to Mods to change the title.

The request was accommodated, making the thread appear more moderate than it was originally. That's not exactly the "appropriate action" I had in mind.
    Roland

Images

I guess if all the white blazes are removed then if you come upon a blue blaze you'll then know you are on the wrong trail. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChop View Post
    A blaze murdered my entire family.
    so that's why its called Blood Mountain...

I always thought the blazes were painted on the trees by deer, bears, chipmunks, Bob Peoples, and other woodland creatures. The animals aren't required to abide by the LNT rules.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

There are a lot more things that leave a trace of human presence than blazes. Things such as shelters and privies. Ax an LNT master I see no place that blazes violate LNT principles. The only reasonable argument that could be made for removing blazes would be in Federally Designated Wilderness Areas. This is already being done in a lot of places. As a professional trail builder, I would be interested in hearing your suggestions, but it appears that you simply choose to hold on to your ideas like some sort of classified secret. My bet is that your ideas would be about as reasonable as closing down the trail for a period of time to let it recover. My suggestion? Before you waste your congressmans time with a letter writing campaign based on what appears to be no first hand knowledge, join a trail maintaining club, and spend time working on the trail. Gain the experience necessary to perform search and rescue and help find a lost hiker. Get out and do a 30 day section hike on the AT or any other trail for that matter. By your own admission, you are new to hiking. Gain some experience and understanding of the issues and history as to why things are done. Then come back and present a valid argument. 20 years of internet usage does not qualify as experience. Besides, lets face it, there are a lot more pressing issues that congress has to deal with than a trail.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

LNT has nothing to do with white blazes on trees.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Painted white blazes are things left by humans, in the woods. Painted white blazes on trees do not occur naturally.

Thus, leaving pained blazes on trees leaves a trace of humans in the woods.

Painting trees is as old as the trail. This method is obsolete.

I am thinking of several ways to achieve the same effect, but retain the natural state of things.

Using nature itself to mark the way for example.

Right now we use paint to mark the way because it lasts a long time. The trade off is defaming hundreds if not thousands of trees and rocks along the way.

Use nature, use natural materials to mark the way. The downside of this is that the blazes will need to be replace far more often. This is the price to pay for taking the trail back to nature. The trail has given us so much, to be lazy back to it by painting trees is shameful.

I am a purist when it comes to nature. When I hike in the deep woods, I get very angry when I see signs of people. Garbage, scored rocks, markers, etc.

We need to protect our wild spaces at all costs. I strongly feel if we lose them, we lose ourselves.

Pixie dust is the answer!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Pixie dust is the answer!!!!!!!!!!
    Why do you and many others make jokes about these issues?

Do your really think the A.T. can stay the way it is indefinitely? The excellent efforts of the volunteers are simply not enough to future-proof the trail.

Despite what the general public knows, rules are coming and we will all need to live by them. I am just trying to help ease the transition.

I am trying to challenge deeply set in thoughts about the trail, and I have met resistance at every step. That's ok though, I am used to that.

What I dislike is people questioning my love for the trail, for all trails, and for nature. I intend to one day die on the trail, when I am in my 90's. And when I do, all of my life's efforts in regards to the trail will be around me as I lay on the trail, taking my last breath.

This website if full of trolls.

You really need to practice somewhere else and then come back and try again. You're in the big leagues here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++