WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default posting pictures and choosing avatars

Two questions for you guys.

1. How do I post pictures (not just links to them) in a post? I read the instructions in the FAQ ([img]value[/img]) but it still only posted a link to the image. It's already hosted online, I'd just like to know how to make it appear in my actual post.

2. Can I use a custom Avatar? When I go into my CP and click on the avatar tab, it only gives me the options of the WB avatars. Nothing against them, I'd just like to use one of my own.

Thanks for your help!

-howie

Quote Originally Posted by hungryhowie
    Two questions for you guys.

1. How do I post pictures (not just links to them) in a post? I read the instructions in the FAQ ([img]value[/img]) but it still only posted a link to the image. It's already hosted online, I'd just like to know how to make it appear in my actual post.

2. Can I use a custom Avatar? When I go into my CP and click on the avatar tab, it only gives me the options of the WB avatars. Nothing against them, I'd just like to use one of my own.

Thanks for your help!

-howie

The little yellow picture with mountains below the font selection. Click it and enter URL. The above example is a thumbnail from my My Pictures. If what you want is a picture that is in with other pictures or text, right click the picture, select properties and copy the URL. This is what I did with the thumbnail. May be other or better ways to do it. Not all threads have this feature enabled.

Don't think you can have a custom avatar.

edited to add last sentence, and for clarity

Images

I'll give it a try......

I used [ img]http://www.ellingtonfire.org/images/incidents/2005/tsunami6.JPG[/img] to make this image show up. I added a space between the first bracket and the 'img' so the server wouldn't show the image again.

Works as I thought it would. What code are you using to put up your images? Can you post the url of the image you're trying to post? Maybe one of us can try it out.

(BTW: that's me with the beard)

Default You look different, Dharma

Gee, Dharma, you are dressed a little different than when I met you on the trail last year. Keep up the good work.

Images

Hey Old Fhart!
    I pretty much live at my firehouse. It was a great way to transition back into the world, not needing to pay rent right away.

Hey y'know all that gear I'm wearing in the picture weighs MORE than my pack did?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default wow

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma
    Hey Old Fhart!
    I pretty much live at my firehouse. It was a great way to transition back into the world, not needing to pay rent right away.

Hey y'know all that gear I'm wearing in the picture weighs MORE than my pack did?
    Dharma, no way I would have know that was YOU!! Your cute but I like the skirt better... Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Journal Entries
    Images

wbdent Well. Let me explain something about posting pictures in a message. We thought we had turn that function off in all the forums except the homemade gear forums. But as I can see by this forum we missed this one. LOL. In order to have a picture posted in a message the picture already has to exist on the internet somewhere that is accessible.<O</O

wbdent A little insight as to why we removed this option from the forums (except this one). Lets us this forum as an example. Let’s use Dharma’s post for example with the firefighters in it. Let’s also make it as if it were about making a homemade stove. If he was explaining something in detail and he used the picture as reference and the users needed to see the picture to understand what he was talking about then the picture would be a much needed item. Ok now let us say that the picture was removed from the web sight that it was linked to and not replaced somewhere else on the web. That means that the picture would not show up in the post anymore. So users could not see a picture that would help them make the stove.<O</O

wbdent This has happened in the past many times and it happens on other webs forums that I am on also. It can be very annoying to be reading a post the see the broken graphic symbol because the image does not exist anymore.

wbdent Another reason is if we started letting pictures and images in posts on the forums and everyone started doing it don’t you think it would get annoying if everyone had a picture in their signature. A small picture in their signature would not be bad. But not everyone abides by the rules and you always get some that have to be annoying and press their luck. When the site started we kept this in mind and knew that the site had a lost of potential and that is would someday become successful and be big. So we had to set limits ahead of time to things that we would allow and would not. That way later on down the road if we removed some of these things then everyone would not freak out and go spastic. We are very lucky now with the price we are getting with our server. But bandwidth was an issue at one time along with other things. Since we are non-profit we have to be careful with what we have. We live off donations and when there are no donations then it comes out of our own pockets. But we have been lucky for some time now and have been getting enough in donations to not have to pull out of our own pockets. But there may come a time then the donations may stop so we have to be prepared for that too.
    <O
    wbdent Boy did all this make sense or did I get off subject. LOL.<O</O
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    ... Boy did all this make sense or did I get off subject. LOL
    Well... a picture might help explain it.

Yeah, attroll, a picture's worth a thousand words

Ok, I understand how photos and graphics could be used inappropriately (i.e. large graphics in signatures), but we could create guidelines as to how these things can be used for the betterment of all. Just as graphics can have their place in the homemade gear forum, it seems like they would be a nice touch in other forums. And as they must already exist on the internet, they place no additional demand on WB's bandwidth. So even if all of the donations suddenly ceased, there would be no worry about the images costing WB more money.

I agree that deadlinks caused by graphics that no longer exist can sometimes be annoying, particularly when you are searching for a graphic to help explain something, but is it really better to prohibit the use of direct linking to prevent those instances?

I'm just playing the devil's advocate here, my life's not really ruined by this or anything. I was just surprised that this function would be disabled.

So, about those avatars...am I to guess that custom ones are out? I'd just like to use a thumbnail of one of my photographs.

Thanks again!

Well, here's a try to see if it works in this forum...
    devil's den, talladega national forest, alabama
    click on the small one to get a big one

-howie

++ New Posts ++