WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    You can just send the cash to me.

In return I'll wear a peice of masking tape with your Dad's name on it across my forehead as I section hike this Spring.
    I agree with most the post as this is a very-self gratifying thread. BUT.... This isnt a bad idea....If you really want to do some good with 50 grand use a little bit every year as a hiking scholarship. There are lots of deserving people who would love to thru hike but dont have the funds. you could give 3,000/year to a deserving individual to attempt a thru hike that you fund as they go up to that 3,000.

Just my .02 cents if you want some input....

family name: mud
    thing you'll never hike with us in?: mud
    stuff your slinging?:mud
    foundation your argument is built on?:mud
    matthewski

Default Visions

It's funny but I've had "visionary" moments myself.

I've looked with dread at a future in which the AT is lost in a world of corporate sponsorship.

I've fantasized writing a short story entitled The Last White Blaze in which our intrepid hiker of 100 years hence hears a rumor that there was once an Appalachian Trail between Georgia and Maine marked by white blazes. At an antique market, he finds an old guidebook and uses it to try and find a blaze. But alas it's hard to navigate because the place names are now WalMart Mountain and Gates Gap and Comcast Ridge and Coca-Cola River, and because where the trail corridor should be is unrecognizable with all the condos, fast food restaurants, and sprawl.

Of course this was all fiction - depressing but it wouldn't really happen, right. The AT won't go the way of sports stadiums and public events and (coming soon) highways and public schools with "naming rights," would it? Would it?

Correction:

The thread title should say

" My family and I are going to donate $50,000. Who should get it? "

I am going to donate soon so I can edit this myself, but until then forgive me for these corrections!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Moss View Post
    I agree with most the post as this is a very-self gratifying thread. BUT.... This isnt a bad idea....If you really want to do some good with 50 grand use a little bit every year as a hiking scholarship. There are lots of deserving people who would love to thru hike but dont have the funds. you could give 3,000/year to a deserving individual to attempt a thru hike that you fund as they go up to that 3,000.

Just my .02 cents if you want some input....
    Thank you! I never even considered this at all. I was so focused on groups, I forgot about deserving individuals. I need to bring this up with father.

I will be back at 4PM CST!

- Mike N. III

Images

I think you are a pretty good influence on whiteblaze without the donation. Forgive the small minds that try to look good by degrading others. I just don't try to look good

It will be hard to keep the family name out of the press if it is on the name of one of the AT's finest shelters, but I don't think it is needed now, and I don't think you have to prove yourself to this bunch.

I would look into the financial needs of the Iron Masters Mansion (as a hostel) and the AT museum in Pine Grove Furnace.
    Rambler

He likes astronomy, computers, cats, nature and walking/hiking. His trail name is "Perfection" and he hasn't even hiked any portion of the AT?

Maybe he should save the 50K for the addition to the AT Hall of Fame museum they'll need just for him.

This HAS to be a practical joke.

please wake up moderators. everybody hit the mark this post botton....now!
    matthewski

just pm'd the mods. your in truuuublllle! oooh....
    matthewski

Answering in the hypothetical abstract: if someone asked me where/how to donate $50 K to the AT knowing their interest was in land protection, I'd recommend meeting with ATC management - Dave Startzell, Royce Gibson, and Bob Almand (ATC Chair). It is entirely understandable that a gift of this magnitude warrants attention at the senior management level. A well-planned meeting will best achieve the donor's objective by informing him/her of the options and considerations.

The ATC knows which portions of the Trail Corridor are the most threatened and can assist the donor in determining what organization (local club, land trust, etc) is the most effective means for achieving everyone's goal. I'd say there's an element of strategizing here too. You'd want to keep publicity nil so that if we're talking about land acquisition, the seller doesn't perceive ATC having a windfall to spend. In other words, discretion is advisory. I've seen this with the Nature Conservancy when their so-called "conservation buyers" are kept anonymous until deals are consumated.

And you may want to think about leveraging e.g. using the pledge as a challenge grant to see if others are willing to match.

I'm sure there's other considerations as well. The ATC can guide you through this.

Images

This guy is a troll. If you were going to donate $50,000 you research it yourself. You don't go on a message board asking people who you should donate it to. Especially if you value your privacy like Mike N the third says he does. And why donate money towards a trail you don't seem to like?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    This guy is a troll. And why donate money towards a trail you don't seem to like?
    Aint a troll, more like a tool
    "I drank what?" Socrates

I'd buy $50,000 worth of land adjoining the AT corridor and not give it to anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    just pm'd the mods. your in truuuublllle! oooh....
    Shhhh, c'mon man you gotta suck up more if you want some of that cheddar.

Images

OK, thread is closing down.

Note to Wisconsinhiker: If you want to have serious discussions, you can post in the Straight Forward forum. All off-topic posts will be deleted.

To the rest of you: No one is forcing you to either read or post on any subjects whatsoever. Exercise some self-restraint, why don't you? If someone keeps causing you heartburn, put them on Ignore.

I'm at work and am not thrilled about using my lunch break dealing with this nonsense.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++