WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help! Need empty beer bottles!

Hey y'all,

I'm working on a project for a Boy Scout troop and need some empty aluminum 16oz Bud/Bud Light bottles. They aren't available in my area and I'd be willing to pay the shipping for some empty bottles if anyone out there can buy these and drink the beer for me! Thanks!

Images

They have to be Bud Light?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

You can't get Bud in Rome?
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Journal Entries
    Images

I had a case but must have tossed it, you can consider some of these new caffiene drinks, mountain dew bottles, and check out your outlets....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hopefully it's not for making alcohol stoves. The BSA prohibits homemade stoves (http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/...GSS/gss07.aspx). They don't prohibit commercially made liquid fueled stoves, but they are not recommended.

I wish they would allow it, because that would be a fun skill to teach the scouts. But like a lot of things, I'm sure its all about the liability.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Uh oh, guess I won't suggest that as a project. We can get Bud here, just not in the 16oz aluminum bottles. I hadn't thought about the other options - had just seen several videos on youtube that were pretty clear on how to make the stoves with the A-B bottles.

Images

use venom energy drink bottles. Works well and takes about 5 minutes to make. Can PM me if any info needed.

Doc Mike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RevLee View Post
    Hopefully it's not for making alcohol stoves. The BSA prohibits homemade stoves (http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/...GSS/gss07.aspx). They don't prohibit commercially made liquid fueled stoves, but they are not recommended.

I wish they would allow it, because that would be a fun skill to teach the scouts. But like a lot of things, I'm sure its all about the liability.

That is more ridiculous than drinking Bud Lite. BSA not allowing something like that makes me want to move to Canada, utter rubbish I tell you.
    -milkman

got soul?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    use venom energy drink bottles. Works well and takes about 5 minutes to make. Can PM me if any info needed.

Doc Mike
    Are these made into the Zelph stoves?
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Images

No more like a white box stove. See my gallery.

Doc Mike

Journal Entries
    Images

Those aluminum bottles are used in outdoor situations where glass bottles are a safety concern. Normally they are less available in the winter when there's less outdoor activity.
    Larger liquor outlets will likely have at least a few four packs stashed somewhere, but finding emptys is a real trick in the cold weather.
    I had to buy them full and drink Budweiser for a few days to get enough for my camp stove project. I normally don't drink more than one beer when I do, so it's taking a while to get enough.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post

Doc Mike
    I can't find these around here. All I find is Rock Star, Monster, and Amp.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DBCFlash View Post
    I had to buy them full and drink Budweiser for a few days to get enough for my camp stove project. I normally don't drink more than one beer when I do, so it's taking a while to get enough.
    That much Bud in one sitting would make me gag. And give me a migraine to boot. But i never EVER refuse free beer....no matter what the brand is.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by awestberry View Post
    Uh oh, guess I won't suggest that as a project. We can get Bud here, just not in the 16oz aluminum bottles. I hadn't thought about the other options - had just seen several videos on youtube that were pretty clear on how to make the stoves with the A-B bottles.
    It's still OK to make the stoves as a project, as far as I know. They just aren't allowed to be used on BSA events (meetings/hikes/etc). I say still do the project... it's a great thing for the boys to learn how to do, and how to think out of the box.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

FWIW Pepsi produced a Super Bowl commemerative bottle - WalMart and Krogers in this neck of the woods sells them. Check locally and you may have a non beer product that the boys can empty themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    It's still OK to make the stoves as a project, as far as I know. They just aren't allowed to be used on BSA events (meetings/hikes/etc). I say still do the project... it's a great thing for the boys to learn how to do, and how to think out of the box.
    I 100% agree.

I helped my son's troop make a Supercat stove a few years ago. No buildings were burned down or family pets harmed to the best of my knowledge.

It was cool to see a few of them and their dads use them at non-troop hike a few months later.

It's all about teaching them to respect the stove, the quirks of using alcohol for a fuel and to THINK before doing.

Regards,
    Greg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by awestberry View Post
    Hey y'all,

I'm working on a project for a Boy Scout troop and need some empty aluminum 16oz Bud/Bud Light bottles. They aren't available in my area and I'd be willing to pay the shipping for some empty bottles if anyone out there can buy these and drink the beer for me! Thanks!
    i cant believe i am about to say this, but buy the beer and pour it out, or is it against some kind of principal....but of course using beer bottles for a boy scout project might open up a whole new can of worms

Images

why can't you just sand the paint off them ? then no one will know what kind of bottle it was

Images

"Prohibited Chemical-Fueled Equipment—Equipment that is handcrafted, homemade, modified, or installed beyond the manufacturer’s stated design limitations or use. Examples include alcohol-burning “can” stoves, smudge pots, improperly installed heaters, and propane burners with their regulators removed."

the terrorists have won.

I was shocked to find that in the GSS as well.
    Apparently, it is OK to have scouts sleep on a portaledge on a sheer rock face, but not to use any sort of can stove that they make themselves.
    Welcome to the new America. Land of the molly-coddled, and home of the litigious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++