WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is early August too late for a southbound thru hike?

Hi all,

Earliest we can start is early august and my friend and I want to do a southbound thru hike. We think we could handle 20 miles a day with minimal rest days. We're both experienced hikers, but are reading mixed things on start dates and would like some feedback on whether an early august start date is reasonable.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Doubt you can do 20 mile days in southern ME and northern NH. After Glencliff, sure.

A start in August puts you in cold wintry weather in the south. If you have the gear, go for it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Besides it getting cold halfway through, are there any specific tips for us? You mention gear for instance, but anything different from what southbounders in July would bring?

Images

Default Pennsylvania

Air temperature and water availablity will be better for you than those who pass through earlier.

Plenty of opportunities to observe the raptor migration can be expected. Take the time to visit Hawk Mountain. You will be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Plenty of opportunities to observe the raptor migration can be expected.
    Raptors?

Well, that will really add to the gear I'm bringing.

Images

Default Raptors

http://www.hawkmountain.org

No special gear required. Firearms prohibited.

Not amusing to anyone who knows its history.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-08-2011 at 00:44.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    http://www.hawkmountain.org

No special gear required. Firearms prohibited.

Not amusing to anyone who knows its history.
    I doubt the OP is a bird brain.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I believe it's quite obvious. Still, he may find Hawk Mountain interesting.

Hikers who professed to have little knowledge of birds and visited with me out of curiosity found it to be quite interesting.

Hiking the Appalachian Trail is about more than walking. It's a learning experience. Anyone hiking through Kittattinny Ridge Important Bird Area ought to take the time to learn something about it, but few do.

I was just joking about about the use of the word "raptor" because I love Jurassic park.

But you bring up an interesting point. I know next to nothing about identifying birds and it'd be a shame to walk right past them without a clue what I'm missing.

Do you recommend some books I could read on the subject?

Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz View Post
    ~
    But you bring up an interesting point. I know next to nothing about identifying birds and it'd be a shame to walk right past them without a clue what I'm missing.

Good attitude. I've discovered that learning a bit about my surroundings makes for a more interesting hike. I wish I was more knowledgeable of plants, animals, cloud types, etc.
    Roland

Some things to keep in mind about a late-start SOBO:

1. You will have to walk more miles per day than the average thru-hiker, if you want to complete by Christmas.
    2. As the days get shorter, maintaining high miles per day becomes more challenging.
    3. If you wish to complete by Christmas, you may have to start walking at first light and walk until dark.
    4. You may be setting-up camp, finding a water source, and cooking in the dark.
    5. Hostels will usually have a vacancy.
    6. Some hiker services will be closed for the season.
    7. You will be in the company of many NOBOs through ME and NH. By the time you reach VT, you will have more solitude.
    8. With smaller social circles, there will be less tendency to take extended zero days in town with your friends.
    9. Pack weight is inversely proportional to outdoor temperature. Expect to carry more weight as your trek progresses.
    10. Many hikers say they want solitude. Too much solitude can really challenge one's mental stamina.

Best of Luck!
    Roland

Also much of your hike will be in hunting season so it's advisable to have blaze orange vest and/or cap and/or pack covers. Before you leave, visit the ATC's website for the year's schedules in the respective states.

Images

Default Books, websites and WB threads about birds

I know next to nothing about identifying birds and it'd be a shame to walk right past them without a clue what I'm missing.

I recommend Scott Weidensaul's books for A.T. hikers. Many are available in paperback or you might be able to borrow one or more his books from your local library. Mountains of the Heart may be the best choice were you to read only one of them.

Visit All About Birds to learn more about specific species. WhiteBlaze threads Georgia A.T. birds and Tennessee A.T. birds especially serve to call the attention of A.T. visitors the importance of the A.T. corridor to birds. In fact, much of the A.T. corridor is designated as Important Bird Areas.
    Last edited by emerald; 02-13-2011 at 00:14. Reason: Added links.

Garlic
    Images

A 20 mpd average will be very difficult for a first-time thru hiker. Assuming you can hike those miles on tough trail, and assuming you're self-supported, you'll still need a surprising amount of time just for logistics. You'll spend a lot of half-days in town, at least, for shopping, laundry, gear replacement, keeping up with email, etc, and that makes for a lot of 10-mile or shorter days. You'll need and want a few rest days. Also, your days will start getting noticeably shorter in September. Most of your hiking days will need to be around 25 miles to keep a 20 mpd average, and that's harder to when you start seeing only 10 hours of daylight in the fall.

If you haven't made a long hike before, there is a learning curve on blister and injury prevention, on efficient camping and resupply, on nutrition--all of which may require extra time fixing mistakes and resting.

I was considering an August SOBO start before I did my NOBO thru. I ended up hiking a 20 mpd average and could have finished before Thanksgiving on a SOBO. I don't think it's too late if you can keep a decent pace or don't mind deep winter hiking.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Thanks for the book recommendation, emerald! A professor of mine recommended "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson today, and I think I'll pick that up too.

I'm really big into reading, I plow through books like crazy. So if anyone else has any literature recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

Images

A walk in the woods is a complete waste of time. Not that i don't enjoy wasting time but i considered a walk in the woods very painful to endure.

Doc Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    A walk in the woods is a complete waste of time. Not that i don't enjoy wasting time but i considered a walk in the woods very painful to endure.

Doc Mike
    Would you recommend anything else, then?

Journal Entries
    Images

My trail journals - ?

he he

I liked White Blaze Fever among others

Hiking Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

Besides it getting cold halfway through, are there any specific tips for us? You mention gear for instance, but anything different from what southbounders in July would bring?

Well July starters also need cold weather gear, blaze orange, and dealing with short days as was mentioned. But you will have more of it because of such a late start. I think it will be tough to finish by Christmas. That's only 4 1/2 months. January is the target month, and that means snow and cold and dark nights and loneliness and hunger galore and some stores closed (like NOC's small grocery store, Fontana Dam, and much less shuttlers), etc
    Last edited by Blissful; 02-08-2011 at 21:04.

Hiking Blog

Completing a thru-hike with an early Aug start will be a challenge. I'd go into it with the mind set of just hiking as far as possible until conditions get too crazy.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++