WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Does it bother you when people bath in a stream

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    2,000 Miler - (2002 - 2007) Sorcerer's Avatar

Default Bathing/soap/etc

Soap near the water sources is bad. All soap including CampSuds, Dr. Bonners, Ivory, etc. Very tiny amounts in the drinking water can cause you to have the "green apple splatters". It is an old Boy Scout trick if you want to get even with somebody, just put a drop or two of soap in their water. It can make somebody very uncomfortable on the trail. Treating the water doesn't take soap out of it and I'm not 100% sure a filter can take it out either.

Now, as far as rinsing off in the stream there is no real problem. Bacteria that might be on your body is easily killed by treating or removed by filtering. You should treat all backcountry water sources. Seems like I saw that on a sign once..............

Boiling doesn't get rid of the soap either...

My understanding was that while most soaps are indeed biodegradable- only so in soil, not water

Journal Entries
    Images

I think it is repulsive and inconsiderate to bathe with soap in the stream. I myself get wet, take a bucket of water and move off 100 feet at least. wash up, rinse off and return for additional buckets of water if I need to rinse off (at least 100 feet away). After all that, its time to really get dunked. But I always do this NOT at a spot where folks are getting drinking water, nor small springs, etc. if you know what I mean. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

just don`t pee in the stream,like you do in your pool
    you are what you eat: Fast! Cheap! and Easy!

on my thru hike,a female hiker decided to bath in front of me,I didnt complain and enjoyed the views.We knew each other for a few miles.

I have two questions: Is there a "soap" or some plant product that is okay for streams, like yucca, etc? We know there's a bunch that aren't but is there something else?

Isn't skinny dipping being slowly phased out? Thru the years we all use to skinny dip freely, but recently a friend of mine was actually arrested for the heinous act and he was even informed that he might be placed on some offender watch list, just for skinnydipping. First we have the Tent Police, now comes the Arse Agents.

So, when I go into the water nowadays, I wear my nylon backpacking underwear, even if I'm smack dab in the middle of nowhere, cuz you just never know . . . . .

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

In bygone years, Dinos skinny-dipped. Today Dinos sometimes swim. Bathing is something to be done away from the water IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    In bygone years, Dinos skinny-dipped. Today Dinos sometimes swim. Bathing is something to be done away from the water IMO.
    Sometimes skinnydipping still happens. Maine is so big!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Wicked Lobstah View Post
    I'm carrying a collapsible bucket on my upcoming thru. It weighs under 4 oz and holds 2.6 gallons. Its called the Kitchen Sink form Sea to Summit and its great for gathering water, wahing dishes, bathing, etc.

http://www.seatosummitusa.com/access.html

Peterawk
    You can get a platypus bag with a hose on it-I have one.
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Sometimes skinnydipping still happens. Maine is so big!!
    If I wasn't afraid the sight of massive quantities of Dino hide would traumatize you youngsters for life, I would still be skinny dipping.
    The real reason is I don't move fast enough to yank on some clothes if somebody shows up these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    If I wasn't afraid the sight of massive quantities of Dino hide would traumatize you youngsters for life, I would still be skinny dipping.
    The real reason is I don't move fast enough to yank on some clothes if somebody shows up these days.
    When I'm near the end of my days I hope I can still do it joyfully, to never feel too old. Live is life!! Hoping you find an irresistible body of water soon.

swim every chance you get but soap doesn't belong in the wilds.

geek

As in "dessert" not "desert"

I seldom filter my water, and I don't mind people washing off in a stream, although I don't do it myself.

Why? The moose do it, the bears do it, the deer do it, etc. and so on. There's all sorts of stuff in the water that you'd rather not know about. The plain fact is, bacteria and virii are everywhere, human generated or not, and to pretend otherwise is naive and a bit childish.

You are more likely to get sick from shaking hands with an immigrant just off an airplane than you are to get sick from drinking untreated water in the backcountry. Are we more interested in reality, or in the quaint ideas of LNTers?

Nuttin' better than a good bubble bath in the swimming hole after all those hot miles on the trail. No soap for me, just a couple of good farts does the trick.

Please keep the soap out of the water. I'm a practical guy who sees little harm in a quick dip, but get out and away from the stream if you feel you need to soap up. Just seems like a common sense thing to do.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    I seldom filter my water, and I don't mind people washing off in a stream, although I don't do it myself.

Why? The moose do it, the bears do it, the deer do it, etc. and so on. There's all sorts of stuff in the water that you'd rather not know about. The plain fact is, bacteria and virii are everywhere, human generated or not, and to pretend otherwise is naive and a bit childish.

You are more likely to get sick from shaking hands with an immigrant just off an airplane than you are to get sick from drinking untreated water in the backcountry. Are we more interested in reality, or in the quaint ideas of LNTers?
    Yup. I always found it funny that people are so worried about this subject. A bear crapping upsream while catching his dinner - no one really thinks about that but some one washing up and all hell is raised, ass back wards thinking by humans as usual.

Also the big companies dumping chemiclas into streams - even if 100 miles upstream - will still be worse for you then a few thousand thru- hikers dipping in the streams to wipe sweat off the ol' sweaty butt crack.

It makes sense to try to keep our world's waterways as clean as possible considering the current state of things....that said, rinsing your natural oils off in a stream should not be considered "dirty." Soap may actually be beneficial for some hikers to drink.

Note that we are talking about a stream which may have all sorts of things in it, versus a spring which will not be as exposed to as much, but may still be less than pure.

I have filtered, treated, and drank it straight. Never been sick on the trail. Not from water anyway.

I don't use soap either, but I've wondered if using a little wood ash might be a way to cut the grease when washing your hair, or clothing. Just a light dusting, then dive in and rinse well. You would want to be careful not to get it in your eyes though, as it turns to lye as it rinses out. Too much ash would be just as bad for the stream as soap though. I would try just a little left over from a Kelly Kettle or hobbo stove. Not everytime either. I've never done it, but it seems it might be fun in a neolithic kind of way. Then there are clays and stuff also, but I think that is better left undisturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I don't use soap either, but I've wondered if using a little wood ash might be a way to cut the grease when washing your hair, or clothing. Just a light dusting, then dive in and rinse well. You would want to be careful not to get it in your eyes though, as it turns to lye as it rinses out. Too much ash would be just as bad for the stream as soap though. I would try just a little left over from a Kelly Kettle or hobbo stove. Not everytime either. I've never done it, but it seems it might be fun in a neolithic kind of way. Then there are clays and stuff also, but I think that is better left undisturbed.
    A little off subject, but your post reminded me of a stone age hike I did about 15 years ago from my tipi 8 miles to another nearby ridge overlook. I wore only some neolithic fleece, i.e. my body was completely covered in a paste of thick wood ash mixed with water, an old tradition with the wandering monks of India who are often seen covered in ash. I wanted to see if I stayed warmer than with bare skin and I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    A little off subject, but your post reminded me of a stone age hike I did about 15 years ago from my tipi 8 miles to another nearby ridge overlook. I wore only some neolithic fleece, i.e. my body was completely covered in a paste of thick wood ash mixed with water, an old tradition with the wandering monks of India who are often seen covered in ash. I wanted to see if I stayed warmer than with bare skin and I did.

When does your autobio come out?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++