WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Sections of the AT Taken for Granted

So, in your opinion what are the best sections of the AT that are typically taken for granted? Personally, I think the Hudson Highlands and parts of CT are overlooked. A lot of people I know think that since there aren't any towering mountains here like in NH or NC there's not much special about these places. Any other areas you guys consider important, but the majority of people fail to notice?
    "I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." ~John Muir

Images

I always hear about big sections of VA as being "mind numbing" and "boring". I've never been on the AT in VA at all, but i just cant see any part of a trail being "boring" or "mind numbing" at all.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Every state has its own uniqueness, and personally I loved Virginia--but then I loved something about every state I went through. I made a list as I hiked the trail last year of all the places I'd like to come back and see again--there's more than 70 places on my list. Sounds like another thru-hike might be in the cards. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ontiora View Post
    So, in your opinion what are the best sections of the AT that are typically taken for granted? Personally, I think the Hudson Highlands and parts of CT are overlooked. A lot of people I know think that since there aren't any towering mountains here like in NH or NC there's not much special about these places. Any other areas you guys consider important, but the majority of people fail to notice?
    I totally agree about CT. Not only in how nice it was, but also how hard it was. CT really beat me up. It never goes up that high, but for most of it the trail never really flattens out at all... just goes up and down and up and down. And then, just when you've had enough, you're treated to 5 flat miles walking along a river. Wonderful.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Croft View Post
    I made a list as I hiked the trail last year of all the places I'd like to come back and see again--there's more than 70 places on my list.
    How about sharing that list with us?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default Virginia

Like other posters, my first thought was also Virginia, specifically the portion west of I-81. This 180 miles has a more remote feel with only one Trail town (Pearisburg) and lots of nice views and points of interest. Examples: Chestnut Knob, Angels Rest, Rice Field Shelter, Wind Rock, Keffer Oak, Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob. It's a nice blend of challenge interspersed with easier portions. Typically you might hike a 1,000-1,500' ascent but then walk along a ridgeline for a few or many miles, not constant up and down like GA, NY west of the Hudson, and much of CT.

I've had good memories & experiences of all my hiking here, some of which was in the dead of winter in sometimes-deep snow.

Images

The rollercoaster in Virginia is often overlooked because of all the cursing hikers do for all the PUD's in that stretch.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

southern new jersey.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

How I'm feeling dictates what I take for granted. If I'm in Zombie Hiker Mode and feel like screaming I'm so bored with walking then I could be hiking through Eden and miss it.

If I'm feeling one with nature the most ordinary section of trail can look beautiful to me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Croft View Post
    Every state has its own uniqueness, and personally I loved Virginia--but then I loved something about every state I went through. I made a list as I hiked the trail last year of all the places I'd like to come back and see again--there's more than 70 places on my list. Sounds like another thru-hike might be in the cards. lol
    Loved your journal, Croft - really well written, colorful and engaging. Did you get a chance to do the parts of PA you jumped past?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sickmont View Post
    I always hear about big sections of VA as being "mind numbing" and "boring". I've never been on the AT in VA at all, but i just cant see any part of a trail being "boring" or "mind numbing" at all.
    I can understand why people feel that way when thru hiking VA--it's 535 miles--of VA. It sounds monotonous: but contraire, kind sir! VA is full of wonderful places--from the stunning scenery & beauty of the highlands and Mt Rodgers area, to the dark hollows, ice cold springs, the stunning views afforded every three miles (so it seems), the tame black bear that still runs when it hears you.
    History, cow pastures, fence stiles, sheepish tourists on BRP/SNP, deep dark green woods, green tunnels (which have never offended me), miniscule electric orange Salamanders you come across on trail, southern hospitality at it's finest (as we are the northern most Southern state--the most refined & classy), all the trail magic partaken by the best Virginian Trail Angels, and most of all: the best trail community I've had the pleasure of knowing.

I've had the opportunity to thru hike all of my home state--and every step I took was filed with excitement, content, & love in knowing that home was all around me!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Like other posters, my first thought was also Virginia, specifically the portion west of I-81 .... I've had good memories & experiences of all my hiking here, some of which was in the dead of winter in sometimes-deep snow.
    Well said, Cookerhiker! There is something wonderful in those woods out there I cannot place my finger on.

And I often hiked the section you maintained in central SNP...I always wanted to say THANK YOU for keeping it so lovely!

How is life in KY?

Well thank you! I miss it! Still having SNP withdrawl pains.

KY: nice community in historic Lexington, close to Daniel Boone NF, the Sheltowee Trace, Red River Gorge, home is walking distance to independent shops & cafes & UK ..............but too far from the AT. Closest point is Davenport Gap, 4 hours drive.

I don't take any of it for granted but I do agree that there are stretches like in CT that are tougher than they appear. I realize tough is a relative term and lots of sections are easier or tougher based on when you hike them.

Every year I take my girls on the trail somewhere just for short day hikes. I would never take them to PA - not because of the rocks but because it's like once you get up on that ridge you keep seeing the same farm day after day after day. It all looks alike after awhile.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    southern new jersey.
    Southern NJ???

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan85 View Post
    Southern NJ???
    I dunno about southern Jersey, but the AT through northern Jersey was great.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Southern NJ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I dunno about southern Jersey, but the AT through northern Jersey was great.
    A couple of years ago there was a thread on this very subject. I guess those who characterize DWG as "southern" Jersey also believe Springer is southern Georgia.

Images

Southern NJ???
    Lebanon state forest was fun to hike and camp in. And, as a bonus, there was always cool tankers and fighters(Air Guard) from McGuire buzzing overhead as well.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

yeah....sorry...was typing with one hand and wanted to make a point. the first 30 or so miles to is it carver's gap? 20 miles south of the high point? that stuff's great.

My "northern New Jersey" is north of manhattan.

culver's gap. geeze. my head isn't working yet. too early here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++