WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: bothy shelter

Default bothy shelter

Does anybody have a diy diagram on how to build a 2 man bothybag / shelter?
    http://www.moontrail.com/terra-nova-...te-bothy-2.php
    Last edited by surferjeff; 02-10-2011 at 14:16. Reason: adding attachment

Images

An alternative that might be easier to make is a Zarsky sack. It's a fabric tube with one half breathable fabric and half waterproof fabric. Put draw strings to close the two ends. The easiest way to think of it is for a large one, so you have a bunch of people sitting in a long tunnel (cylinder); over everybody's head is the waterproof part and the breathable part underneath. You just sew two rectangles of fabric together on both top and bottom.

Even simpler, if you have an old [two layer] tent, bring just the inner tent, leave the fly and poles at home. If it's raining put the waterproof floor over your heads.

The one time I've used one was in the White Mountains at a temperature of about 0F with moderate wind -- pretty cold outside. 5 or 6 of us got inside and after a few minutes it was quite toasty inside from our body heat. Sit on a sleeping pad and keep your feet on your pack or something so you're not losing lots of heat by contact with the ground.

Lame attempt at a diagram, ignore the dots ............:

_____A_______________
    |....................................|
    |....................................| waterproof
    |________B__________|
    |....................................|
    |....................................| breathable
    |___________________|
    C

Sew a side of rectangle of fabric together at B. Sew the other sides together: Side A of the waterproof rectangle to side C of the breathable rectangle. You want to have a draw cord in the two verticle sides in the diagram.
    Last edited by Snowleopard; 02-10-2011 at 15:05. Reason: Bad formatting of diagram.

Thanks for the sugestion. I need to put pencil to paper to get my head around what you described, but it sounds functional. I'm working on making a complete DIY UL set-up, but want this to be kept in my jeep for any day hiking.

Images

Default surfer jeff

whats up jeff--i grew up in VB--went to FC. check out my gallery for some good VB surfing photos!
    Welcome to Whiteblaze! And remember, the mountains are just a three & a half hour drive up 64!!

Checked out the pics, ironically I live in Chix Beach about 3 blocks from where those pics where taken and have surfed infront of Alexander's during storms, including the one that washed the restaurant out to sea. I have some great pics of it that I'll post if you haven't been back in a while.

++ New Posts ++