WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Marcus

Default Does anyone brush their teeth on the AT?

What do you do in terms of dental hygene? is it okay to not brush one's teeth for like five months? or must one carry along brush and paste?
    also, what about flossing? should one floss their teeth while hiking the AT? does anyone floss anyways? here is a theory of mine, anyone who is going to hike the AT has bad, or shall i say low standards of hygene, i mean anyone who flosses everyday and watches all those nightly news special reports on germs in public bathrooms would not last anymore than three days on a trail. well, that's what i think, does anyone floss regularly?
    and what about mouth wash on the AT, like Lysterine.
    Most pocket knives come witha tooth pick, would that be sufficient?

here's a suggestion anyways, if someone was to bring along a toothbrush, cut the handle down, to like two inches, or maybe three inches if neccesary. but two and a half inches would be the average length to cut it down to.

Images

i carry a small travel size tooth paste and folding tooth brush, neo

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Most of the thru-hikers I saw (including myself) in 2003 brushed their teeth every day on the trail.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I always brush. I just don't wake up right until I do. I have a small tube of travel pate and a toothbrush with a slightly trimmed down handle.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

I'm waiting for a dentist to reply and reem you. ha! I'd imagine getting a cavity on the Trail would really stink, let alone the pain of trying to find a dentist willing to come that close to a hiker.

A long shower and a good tooth-brushing feels really nice after a week of hiking.

Of course I brush my teeth. And I don't understand taking the time or effort to cut down the handle. I want something to hold onto when reaching for the back molars.

I brought floss, but dumped it when I wasn't bothering to use it. Off trail I floss 2-3x/wk.

Images

I have a zip lock that is just long enough to put the toothpaste in, and the toothbrush was a little long. I can still reach my back teeth, but now the brush and the tooth paste fit in the ziplock. That is about the only reason for cutting it shorter. If I wanted to save weight I would drill holes in the handle
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

I'd brush. You will likely save yourself some trouble later down the road with cavities or worse. A small travel size tube of paste and a small brush will do.

Floss 1x, brush 4x daily. Floss also makes good strong thread for emergency sewing. Oh, and Tom's of Maine toothpaste.

Instead of dealing with the weight of toothpast and a toothbrush, I hired a Sherpa to carry a Dental Hygenist that would give morning and evening cleanings. Most refreshing I must say.

I generally use my lightsaber to get those nasty bits of couscous.

I leave my teeth at home.
    Singletrack

Images

Default Yep, twice a day.

We always brush and floss our teeth on the trail. Don't remember where but I found a toothbrush with a hollow handle that is used to store the toothpaste. For me, it held enough for a 10 day backpacking trip brushing twice a day. YMMV.
    Uncle Wayne

I'm with the Sarge on this. No matter how grotty, filthy and greasy you might feel at times on a hike (or at work for that matter), you can always get an amazing psychological boost by cleaning your teeth and mouth. As a pleasant bonus, your teeth will stay in your head, and you will at least moderate your dragon breath syndrome.

BRUSH YOUR TEETH.

Cheers,

PKH

We brush twice a day on the trail and carry floss to use if needed. Floss also makes great thread in an emergency! Most brush their teeth. I think more people brush their teeth than bathe on the trail!
    Anita
    kncats other half

Yup, that is correct. I see folks brushing once or twice daily, although a few use dental gum. I can't recall ever seeing anyone floss on the trail, although that might be more welcome than seeing them use their cell phone.

But bathing with a bandana for a quick sponge bath every other day may be among the best strategies to prevent Lyme Disease and other tick borne infections.

I always brush my teeth. I carry a two-piece travel toothbrush like the ones that can be found at most drugstores. I had one that stored the toothpaste in the handle, but found that the toothpaste would dry up between hikes and make the contraption unusable. I also carry floss, which I use irregularly.

I remember a time when stores sold tooth powder (instead of tooth paste). I think that would be great for the trail, but I haven't seen it in years.

I've always wondered about the environmental and aesthetical effect of spitting out the toothpaste. Do folks figure it's harmless and will disappear quickly? Do you just swallow it? I can't find any mention of this issue on the Leave No Trace web site.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default tooth powder...

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer
    I remember a time when stores sold tooth powder (instead of tooth paste). I think that would be great for the trail, but I haven't seen it in years.

Try looking in a Health Food Store. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've used Dental Dots during section hikes in place of toothbrush and paste to save weight, but they're a little hard to use and the end result doesn't feel as good. I don't bother to floss when I'm out for 7-10 days.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

Default dental Hi-gene

i take a small "travel toothbrush" & paste (available @ Wal-Mart & other fine retailers!) very lite & well worth the 1 oz
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++