WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you carry a sword on the AT?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    Anyone that can succeed in chasing down wild squirrels with a sword... Needs to talk to the next U.S. Olympic track team. Decent-sized dogs are generally faster than virtually all people, and it's rare that they can catch up to squirrels.

Anyone that voluntarily takes on a loose healthy adult bear with a sword instead of a high-powered firearm needs psychiatric attention.
    The key words are 'wild squirrels', squirrels along the AT are used to hikers and if you sing to them you can get close enough to them to wack 'em before they get away, and the chipmunks aren't near as challenging. But you don't really need a sword, Leki poles work fine. Now the bears are too fast to run down and are generally too smart to fall for some trick to get them within reach of a sword.

Youngblood

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat
    My Squire carries my sword.
    Does he also carry two coconuts to bang together to make the noise of a galloping horse?

For the few of you who haven't seen Monty Python: Search for the Holy Grail - stop what you are doing and go rent it.

Default Am I missing something?

I'm planning my gear list for my upcoming thru-hike and this post caught my attention. Why on earth would you need a sword on the AT?

This is just one of dozens of useless posts. You gotta wade thru the BS to get to the good stuff.

i bring a sherpa. he carries my sword and my pack. if we see a bear my sherpa has been paid an extra 25 cents per day to throw himself at the bear. a financial sacrifice i am willing to make for my safety. the sword will come in handy if we get lost and i get hungry.

This is what I carry:
    Last edited by veteran; 12-15-2006 at 18:48.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    ...these bushy-tailed rodents ... scrounging for their nuts.
    I hope I'm not reincarnated as a squirrel.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    This is just one of dozens of useless posts. You gotta wade thru the BS to get to the good stuff.
    Don't listen to Lwolf, he is trying to get you killed.Everyone has a sword on the AT because of Bears and Trolls. We even shaved one of those Trolls, taught him how to walk upright and talk. Now he is a web master. Amazing what you can teach a troll.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default Of course, some never learn

just check out any of MinnesotaSmith's posts. I especially liked his deleted post on beards, ask him if he'll share it with you. If you're hiking anywhere near him, whatever you do, don't drop your sword.

OK, that was a flame, and I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. I'll go hike it off.

Marcus

Default I chase down rabbits in New Mexico.

Thank you L. Wolf, for all of your support. this is a useless post, hardly.

but, okay maybe not as usefull as lithium batteries, anyways in response to whether or not a person could catch a squirrel. It is totally plausable. Think about this, a squirrels legs are like three inches long, and they have a stride (bound) of like two feet the most. a human being has a running stride of like four feet. in a full out sprint, one could easily beat a squirrel. and in an open field i could catch one. and eat it.
    also, i have done so. the trick is you have to wait for like around late october, early november when the squirrels get fat and slow.
    this is also when the squirrels will taste the best.

Images

Default A+ creative mind

A+ creative mind

Images

Is you serious?

I have thought about it, (for about 0.0000001 second) but my sword (with sheath) weighs in at 3 Lbs 1 Oz, a bit heavy I do believe. It is a real sword, not what I call a "wall hanger" usually made of zinc, good for show, but , , , , ,

If I did, I may get one like Rock showed. Altho a friend of mine sells one that looks similar when closed, but pulls out to reveal 2 swords. Mine would break thru them, but great fun against someone unarmed wouldn't it

BTW: if I sharpen mine, it voids the life time warranty and then my director won't let me use it in (stage) combat, soooo, , ,

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

So what you gonna do with that cute, little, short striding squirrel when you catch him and he eats you instead?
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Who needs a sword when you have a air rifle?

Just get someone in the eye, and your good to go. A bit heavy though, the need to be 8-12 lbs for increased accuracy (weights you down, gets you to stop moving) And a bit expensive to be taking a a six month trek that i will get hurt on (1800 for a good one) God i miss competative shooting....

Pink

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    Who needs a sword when you have a air rifle?
    All kinds of lightweight weaponery to choose from, besides a 3 pound sword.

1. You could use a sling shot as the wilderness will supply you with sufficient ammo.

2. A blow gun

3. I you are real good a boomerang

4. Throwing stars

5. A 155mm self-propelled howitzer, don't need to pack it in, just drive it in.
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Am I odd for the walking stick I invented?

I had 4 inch knife blade that used to be attached to a bone handle. It was laying around for years. So, I took a 6 foot walking stick, cut 7 inches off of the end, split the end of the long piece 2 inches, mounted the blade in it. I beveled the end at the blade with my Dremel. Affixed the blade with two screws and wrapped it with a leather strap. Then, I split the short piece halfway to dig out a sheath on the cap. I hollowed it with the dremel to match the bevel and wrapped it with a leather strap.

So, I had a walking stick that converted into a ready spear. Unfortunately, the top kept coming off and I eventually broke the blade throwing it at a tree.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

I never carried a sword but one dark day in the middle of the night I wished I had. I met a hiker called the Black Knight...fortunately, I only suffered a flesh wound.

FB

"OH YEAH! WADE THRU THIS!!"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless
    . . . A bit heavy though, the need to be 8-12 lbs for increased accuracy (weights you down, gets you to stop moving) . . .
    A bit heavy, you say? Nay, Nay, Nay! Just think of all the food you won't have to carry.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback
    I never carried a sword but one dark day in the middle of the night I wished I had. I met a hiker called the Black Knight...fortunately, I only suffered a flesh wound.

FB

"OH YEAH! WADE THRU THIS!!"
    You reminded me of an old rhyme, (not Monty Python)

One dark day in the middle of the night,
    two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    draw their swords and shot each other.
    A deaf policeman, heard the noise,
    came and shot the two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true,
    ask the blind man, he saw it too.

Sorry, had to get it out of the system.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++