WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Unicoi Gap Choice Hiawassee or Helen

At Unicoi Gap you want to go into town for resupply, lodging, ect. We at Hiawassee Budget Inn offer a free ride to Unicoi the same as Dicks Creek Gap in March and April. We leave with the guest at 8:30 and arrive at Unicoi about 9am and Dicks Creek about 9:30 Some even like to slack pack from Unicoi to Dicks Creek, We can arrange this too.

Now at Hiawassee Budget Inn we have internet, coin laundry and free washing powder, except mail drops free, we offer tenting with a shower, we are pet friendly, small outfitter with the basics, and the shuttle too. If you need a ride in 706-896-4121
    Last edited by Ron Haven; 02-11-2011 at 01:33.

where is this at place at in Hiawassee? when I came thru Dicks Gap I stayed at cloud9. I went into Helen also but didn't care for it.

Last year when I stayed in Helen, I got a SERIOUS case of bed bugs. I'm pretty sure it was at the Super 8. It's definitely going to be Hiawassee for me this year.

Ron...I hope you got rid of that crazy old shuttle driver from last year. See you in Hiawassee and Franklin later next month.

El Sordo
    Images

Cloud 9 is closed. As Ron said, you can easily shuttle into Hiawassee from either Unicoi or Dicks Creek. Each gap is roughly 10 miles from Hiawassee. There is also a slack packing possibility from gap to gap if you're feeling ambitious.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Default pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    At Unicoi Gap you want to go into town for resupply, lodging, ect. We at Hiawassee Budget Inn offer a free ride to Unicoi the same as Dicks Creek Gap in March and April. We leave with the guest at 8:30 and arrive at Unicoi about 9am and Dicks Creek about 9:30...
    Do you keep some sort of regular schedule in the afternoon for pickup, or is that all as notified?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    Ron...I hope you got rid of that crazy old shuttle driver from last year. See you in Hiawassee and Franklin later next month.
    Be glad to see you Digger...!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Do you keep some sort of regular schedule in the afternoon for pickup, or is that all as notified?
    If you need a ride in to Hiawassee Inn I will get you here.Just call us at 706-896-4121 We are also in your guide books.
    Last edited by Ron Haven; 02-11-2011 at 20:10.

Images

Helen or Hiawasee ... Helen or Hiawasee ...? Hhhmmm ... Let me see ...
    Hiawassee AND Ron Haven. That's not really a choice. You better go to Hiawassee.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Hiawassee was a better choice than Helen even before Ron.

With Ron in town Hiawassee is a no brainer.

At Unicoi Gap you want to go into town for resupply, lodging, ect. We at Hiawassee Budget Inn offer a free ride to Unicoi the same as Dicks Creek Gap in March and April. We leave with the guest at 8:30 and arrive at Unicoi about 9am and Dicks Creek about 9:30 Some even like to slack pack from Unicoi to Dicks Creek, We can arrange this too.

Now at Hiawassee Budget Inn we have internet, coin laundry and free washing powder, except mail drops free, we offer tenting with a shower, we are pet friendly, small outfitter with the basics, and the shuttle too. If you need a ride in 706-896-4121
    I believe you meant "accept" mail drops free.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Hiawassee was a better choice than Helen even before Ron.

With Ron in town Hiawassee is a no brainer.
    That be the pure truth.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

I like to stop at both Helen and Hiawassee... Helendorf and the Irish Pub for St. Patricks, then Hiawassee Inn several days later. No rush, stop and enjoy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    That be the pure truth.
    Friends, thanks, I have always tried to make sure hikers get the most for their money because many are on a tight budget. In todays economy this can make a big difference. I am trying to do the same thing in Hiawassee as I have been doing for years in Franklin.

Friends, thanks, I have always tried to make sure hikers get the most for their money because many are on a tight budget. In todays economy this can make a big difference. I am trying to do the same thing in Hiawassee as I have been doing for years in Franklin.
    I've been to your Budget Inn when I was in Franklin but where is the Budget Inn in Hiawassee? It is said cloud 9 was closed and that is where I stayed on my last northbound hike. That tall skinny man with the little red car was running shuttles up to Dicks Gap.

I haven't met Ron yet, but have continued to hear nice things about him. I have stayed at the Hiawassee Inn, and met other hikers there at the time (last spring). I'm NOBO again when it gets a little warmer, and hope to meet "the Man" my next trip out.

El Sordo
    Images

Ron bought the Hiawassee Inn and is in the process of renaming it. Cloud 9 went out of business at least two years ago and was offered for sale by the bank the last I knew.
    There are several shuttle operations in Hiawassee. Rons guests get a free shuttle from Unicoi and Dicks Creek during March and April. I believe the Blueberry Patch also offers free shuttles for their guests. Folks electing to stay elsewhere will have to pay for shuttles, but they generally shouldn't be too burdensome. Hiawassee is about 10 blocks long so getting around town really doesn't present a challenge for a hiker.

There are two grocery stores in Hiawassee, the Hiawassee Inn has fuel available as does the Buckhead House. There's also a hardware store in town as well as a post office and a storefront shipping operation if you want to send stuff home.

The small hospital has a fully staffed E.R. if you find yourself in need of medical care. There's also a masseuse or two in town that'll bring a portable table to your room if that's your need.

The guy with the red pickup is still in the area, but everything I've heard about him has been at least twice removed from the original source. YMMV.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    There are several shuttle operations in Hiawassee. The guy with the red pickup is still in the area, but everything I've heard about him has been at least twice removed from the original source. YMMV.
    generoll, this is correct. If hikers need shuttles we keep phone numbers of area shuttlers that don't do the hikers wrong.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    I haven't met Ron yet, but have continued to hear nice things about him. I have stayed at the Hiawassee Inn, and met other hikers there at the time (last spring). I'm NOBO again when it gets a little warmer, and hope to meet "the Man" my next trip out.
    March and April it is easy to find me. I am at Budget Inn or Sapphire Inn in Franklin most of the day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Oz View Post
    I've been to your Budget Inn when I was in Franklin but where is the Budget Inn in Hiawassee? It is said cloud 9 was closed and that is where I stayed on my last northbound hike. That tall skinny man with the little red car was running shuttles up to Dicks Gap.
    Come into Hiawassee and as you pass Zacksby Chicken & Dairy Queen Hia Budget Inn is on the left. Also if you have mail drops in Hiawassee going to Franklin, save your money on shipping. I go to Hiawassee everyday and I will be glad to take them to Franklin free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++