WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Registered for 50M

Ok, I just registered for my first 50 mile race. I'm running the Nashville Ultra in October. It's not a trail run - only 20% of the course is on trails but I figure it'll be a good race to test the waters.

Also registered to run the 50K again that I just ran last month.

Other races I plan on are the Iron Mt. Trail run and the Mountain Masters run and a handful of half marathons.

Anyone else got anything on the board?

I'm doing a half marathon the week before I leave for my thru hike. Good luck to you in the ultra distances. I ran 20 marathons during my illustrious career.. The last one was 2008 Boston. That will be the last one unless I take leave of my senses again.

litefoot 2000

Default 2011 schedule

Mine is:
    March 26, Papa John's 10-miler, Louisville
    April 9, 5k Krispy Kreme Challenge, Lexington
    April 30, KY Derby Half Marathon, Louisville
    Sept. 26, State to State Half Marathon, Oxford, Ohio
    Oct. 23, Iron Horse Half Marathon, Versailles, KY
    Nov 6, New York City Marathon (pending my application being accepted).

I'm also going to do a half marathon in late November or December, somewhere in Florida.

Is the Krispy Kreme Challenge the one where you run a certain distance, eat a dozen donuts and run back?

I read about it - it has grown exponentially since it started I understand. (pun intended.. )

Images

Oh, 50 mile - thought at first a 50 meter race .... was thinking "whats so great about that?"

The donuts thing would make me puke for sure - more power to you!

That's awesome, good luck! I hope to be able to run that distance in the future. I'm running my first running race next weekend - a trail half marathon in Miami, FL.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Is the Krispy Kreme Challenge the one where you run a certain distance, eat a dozen donuts and run back?

I read about it - it has grown exponentially since it started I understand. (pun intended.. )
    The Krispy Kreme Challenge started in N. Carolina but has spread to other places, too.
    http://krispykremechallenge.com/NCWeekend

The one in my city is sponsored by the UK Habitat for Humanity group.

It's a 5k -- run half of it, stop and eat a dozen donuts, run back. Puke buckets are kindly provided on the return section, but if you puke before finishing a dozen, you're DQ'd. If you're wondering about the "nutrition," so to speak, it's about 2,400 calories, a couple hundred grams of sugar, untold amounts of fat and additives. Insulin shock is a race risk.

It's maybe the only race where I stand a reasonable chance of medaling in the Open division and kicking the crap out of young, skinny, in-shape runners.

Ultras are a dream right now, but working my way up to it. Just started running again this past year.

I have two 5 milers in March, one in april, Warrior dash in may, and half marathon in June. Looking at two 10 milers and another half marathon in the fall. Everything is on trail, except the one in april which is the shamrock shuffle in Chicago. That one should be interesting, as its 40k people, compared to the hundreds I am used to on the trail runs.

Good luck on your 50's 10-K.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Ok, I just registered for my first 50 mile race. I'm running the Nashville Ultra in October. It's not a trail run - only 20% of the course is on trails but I figure it'll be a good race to test the waters.

Also registered to run the 50K again that I just ran last month.

Other races I plan on are the Iron Mt. Trail run and the Mountain Masters run and a handful of half marathons.

Anyone else got anything on the board?
    Did you ever do the Bridge and Trestle 17-Miler in Damascus? It started at the pool and went up the Virginia Creeper to White Top, crossing over 30 bridges and trestles. Todd Eastin put it on, and he gave hand-made trivets to the finishers. It has not been held in several years. I think I did it three or four times. The scenery was unbelieveable, but it was railroad grade for the entire distance.

litefoot 2000

Quote Originally Posted by inabag View Post
    Ultras are a dream right now, but working my way up to it. Just started running again this past year.

I have two 5 milers in March, one in april, Warrior dash in may, and half marathon in June. Looking at two 10 milers and another half marathon in the fall. Everything is on trail, except the one in april which is the shamrock shuffle in Chicago. That one should be interesting, as its 40k people, compared to the hundreds I am used to on the trail runs.

Good luck on your 50's 10-K.

Thanks! I've just discovered trail running in the past year and love it. It's a LOT easier on my aging joints than running on the street for sure.

I ran a 50km trail race last month and 2 days later I was more or less back to normal. Running a regular marathon on the street it's 2 weeks before I even feel good enough to run again.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hope it goes well.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

march 12 Gate river run 15k
    two weeks later okeefenokee swamp run 10k in waycross ga.

Images

Good luck 10-K!

I'm hoping to do the Vermont 100 Mile this summer. I DNF'd there back in 2005, and it's payback time. I might do a couple of other trail races to prepare, but don't have anything fixed yet.

Images

Hey 10-K why don't you try this one, it's next week and nothing but fun!
    http://www.blackmountainmarathon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ashevillian View Post
    Hey 10-K why don't you try this one, it's next week and nothing but fun!
    http://www.blackmountainmarathon.com/
    I'm done for a while......

In the past 3 months I've ran a 2 half marathons, a 16 mile trail run, a street marathon and a 50km trail run.

Oh, and hiked the Foothills Trail (76 miles) in 3 days.

Images

Yeah, I was going to registar but I got a paper cut yesterday and decided to bow out.

I just started running after taking more than a year to try and recover from hiking the PCT. My hope is to run in the 40 mile Santa Barbara Red Rock run. Used to be called the 9 Trails. I'm not really a runner, though, so it may never happen. I just really miss the rush of feeling super in shape that hiking the PCT gave me and training to run an ultra seems to be like the easiest way to get that rush without quitting my day job.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

ran once. quit. 15 years i ran. loved the adiction. the salt. the freedom. never got past 22 mi. one day i stopped like forrest gump. dont know why. bothers me sometimes. loved to be efficient. ahh the ease of running well. those moments, you know the ones. like sex almost. miss runnin. dont ever stop guys.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I just really miss the rush of feeling super in shape that hiking the PCT gave me and training to run an ultra seems to be like the easiest way to get that rush without quitting my day job.
    One of the nice things about trail running is that I can spend a lot of time in the woods but still be at home at night too.

This past summer when the days were longer I'd have my wife drop me off at an AT trailhead 20-30 miles from home and I'd spend the day running back home. Pretty cool.

You might consider trying the Strolling Jim 40 mile ultra in Wartrace, TN on 5/7/11. I've never run that one but it gets good reviews from other runners. It's the 33rd year for the race so they should have all the details dialed in. It would be a natural step up in distance from your 50K to the 50 mile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++