WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

Default Billville Winter Warmer - Duncannon, PA - March 4-6

Happy New Year!

I would like to announce the 2nd Annual Billville Winter Warmer! Due to a scheduling conflict, the NEW DATE for the Warmer will be March 4, 5 and 6.

Q: What is a 'Winter Warmer"?

A: The Winter Warmer is just an excuse to get together and hang out with friends who love the AT and hiking. It is rather loosely sponsored by Billville (a sub-group of AT hikers and trail angels) but all are welcome. There are no planned events at the warmer other than socializing in the bar on Friday and Saturday night. Other than that, everything is done on the fly. Options for the weekend are numerous, however, with numerous hiking options in the area. Also, last year, taking the tour of Gettysburg was a highlight of the weekend for me. If you have never been there, I highly suggest making the trip. Do so with Jester and/or Baltimore Jack if you can.

Also, if the conditions are not too bad, we try to organize a shelter-cleaning hike. This is just a short hike into a shelter to look around and clean up whatever might need cleaning.

Q: Where is the Winter Warmer?

A: The Warmer will once again be held at the Doyle Hotel and Bar in downtown Duncannon, PA. There are several rooms available, and the quiet hours start at 2 am. If this is too much, there is a campground just down the street, or the truck stop just outside of town. Last year, we had everyone stay in the Doyle, and it should be that way this year as well, especially if you dont mind curling up on a piece of floor.

The Doyle is kind enough to host this event and they have treated us very well in the past. We are welcome to socialize in the main bar, which has live entertainment, but we also have access to the upstairs bar if we want.

Q: What do I bring to the Warmer?

A: First, bring yourself! Bring your hiking gear and be prepared for snowy and icy conditions. Bring a good size pack, just in case we find a lot of trash at a shelter. Bring your mountain bike, just in case. I'll be bringing mine (and yes, it has studs for ice riding). Bring any photo albums that you would like to share. If you are a future AT hiker, bring your questions. If you are a past AT hiker, bring your answers.

We would like to invite any hikers that are heading down to Springer to stop in at the Doyle on your way south. What a better way to start your AT hike than to hit one of the famous places on the trail and chew the fat with some like-minded people?

Q: Anything else I should know about the Warmer?

A: Well, as always, Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited. Also, if you are planning to attend, please let me know as soon as possible. I will be calling soon to reserve rooms at the Doyle, so if you wait until the last minute (which is OK) to decide, I can't guarentee a space at the inn, so to speak.

If you would like more information, or you would like to confirm your attendance, you can post a reply here or send me a Private Message. I hope to see many of you at the Second Annual Billville Winter Warmer!

chomp

Good date change, I might actually be able to make it. Hey PA people, where is the closest airport? I'll start searching for cheap flights.
    Or if I drive, is there anyone from the southeast wants to carpool?
    My daytime activty might have to be studying, but I will do my best to be there.

Contra dancing??

Images

Default Love the Doyle

I am sooooo there!! Will bring my drum circle.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinHome
    I am sooooo there!! Will bring my drum circle.

Excellent!! I'll bring my drum as well.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Default Let me get this straight........

Chomp:"A: Well, as always, Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited."
    Let me get this straight, you're telling me Contra Dancing is not allowed at the Doyle??? (banana dancing is o.k.)

Now, now, you folks are picking on someone who is not here.

But I know a little trick to get him to pop in if you like. He won't post though.

Actually not picking on anyone, but it is a running joke now. All Billville-sponsored events have been strictly contra dance-free for years.

It's cuz Billville people have an unhealthy hatred towards Warren Doyle who is an avid contra dancer. Every year at the ALDHA Gathering a contra dance takes place.

There is no hatred - we did exactly what Mr Doyle recommended that we do - start our own gathering. The "no contra-dancing" is just a humorous response to Warren telling us to take our toys and go play somewhere else. It also seems really really lame. We also prohibit drum circles, but that is just because we find those annoying and lame.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    Contra dancing??
    When in doubt---Google

Actually Wolf, while I can't speak for the rest of Billville, my own distaste for both contra dancing and drum circles goes back to my college days, and long predates my ever having met the gentleman whose name you mentioned; I'd have a healthy disdain for both pastimes even if I'd never heard of him.

In any case, both activities are singulalrly inappropriate for the Doyle, and in any case, they'd detract from the excellent jukebox.

Default Inappropriate for the Doyle

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Images

In answer to 30seconds question the closest Airport is Harrisburg International or MDT. Nice new terminal for those who haven't been there in the past few months!

AMTRAK also comes into Harrisburg via Pittsburgh and Philly..

Hope to see some of you guys there!
    Regards,
    Ted A. Nichols II
    Lemoyne, PA

Seems like only yetserday when all the red shirts were bought...Ox and Madhatter and I were 'otherworldy' and dancing with the hot tribe dancing girls at Trail fest while the freaky local on his little kids bike was driving around talking about being a sniper in the woods and Lucky Dawg was playin' his music and cornbread and butterbean and...sniff sniff...and we went down the Shennadoah river in 9 canoes and one kayak and, and, and..Im gettin all emotional over here.

Wish I could make it.

tideblazer
    Images

Default no worries

I think if you started a drum circle at the Doyle, the Billville boys would be the last of your worries.

www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Default Billville to the rescue

Wookie...hilarious....You are right. They'd probably be the ones that would have to save you from a few of the "locals" upstairs at the Doyle.
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Default The Winter Warmer

Hey Guys

Would love to come out. But living on the West Coast now and can't afford expensive airfare. Had a blast at the Warmer last year, but am haunted by one single image.

Have a good one folks. I'll be there in spirit.

Images

Just spent a great night at the Doyle this past thursday with Dimples of 03'. Felt I had always missed out as I arrived on a sunday during my thru-hike and the bar was closed. Also I was underage at the time.

This place is wonderful, a little slice of americana. Vickie and Pat are great hosts and they were gracious enough to hang out for quite awhile. There was some quality live entertainment from a man and woman playing guitar/harmonica and Pat even went up to play a little. I believe these folks play each thursday and saturday nights.

The jukebox is jam packed with old favorites, the Yuengling and Troeg was flowing and the rooms were much improved from my recollections of 03'. In short, this is a classic AT stop, whether you're hiking or not. Though I admit I wouldn't have felt so guilty about the Doyle Burger, fries and beers if I had hiked a "20" instead of 20 yards.

Have a great weekend boys, wish I could make it. This place rocks!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

:banana Winter Warmup

Hello all,
    I work (bartend) on Friday night at the Riviera Tavern (stop by!! and have some wings...I'm up to 54 flavors)
    I will be at the Doyle Saturday evening at least. Maybe Saturday during the day if I can get off work but not likely.
    Greg, aka Sheetzie, aka Peace Frog will be there. He's home! Yeah! He came home on the 4th.
    We can do breakfast on Sunday again at our place...new...will be moving in February. A 2 bedroom apt. above the Pub.
    And yes, entertainment by Sue Grace and Mark Lukens at the Doyle on Thursdays and Saturdays.
    I'll make sure I have my camera batteries charged this year.
    Anxious to see all of you.
    Mary

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++