WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Just bumping this up. Need to know who is in for what so I can put in for days off. Shlep did not mean to high jack your thread But dammit I love to hike, and BadAndy is looking to log in some AT miles and this fits. I'd also like to meet some of my NJ neighbors.
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

Like I said, I'm good for whatever, would like to make Lehigh Gap at a minimum and could stretch to a 4th day but don't have to. I think I'm finally dry from the last trek so it's time for some more.

Images

If the bosses will approve days off I'm game for 4 days DWG to Route 309. It just has to involve a Sunday and a Monday. And for once please NO RAIN
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by harryfred View Post
    And for once please NO RAIN
    If it doesn't kill you , then it only makes you stronger.... or some bs sayin' like that.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

If the bosses will approve days off I'm game for 4 days DWG to Route 309. It just has to involve a Sunday and a Monday. And for once please NO RAIN
    what day are you leaving?

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    If it doesn't kill you , then it only makes you stronger.... or some bs sayin' like that.
    This will make a great story if we live to survive it

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    what day are you leaving?

Panzer
    We're looking at leaving Saturday May 14

Images

I'll be there. This will be my alternative to trail days which is that weekend but is a little too far for me. At least I'll be on the trail that weekend that's what matters the most.

Panzer

Images

Rethinking trying to make 309, as it would mean a 12.7 mile hike over fairly rocky ground including the Knife Edge. The figure atlest for those of us heading south maybe six hours of of travel, run back up to DWG then head south Suggest on the third day we make George Outerbridge shelter, 16.7 miles from Leroy Smith. Spend the night at George Outerbridge, then on the fourth day maybe hike out to Devils Pulpit and maybe a bit of the North Trail. Then back track to vehicles left at the parking area at the Lehigh River, run back up to get vehicles left at DWG, head home.
    Anyone that can only do two days can get out at Wind Gap, three days can leave at the Lehigh River Keeping in mind we will probably cross the river close to dusk.
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

Now do I put in for Friday the 13th or Tuesday the 17th off. T make four days.
    Alcohol was involved!

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

If y'all don't mind a slow fat guy bringing up the rear I'd like to tag along on Saturday. If anyone else wants to do just Saturday we could coordinate a car drop at Fox Gap, or I could probably talk my wife into shuttling me from Fox Gap to DWG.

Rethinking trying to make 309, as it would mean a 12.7 mile hike over fairly rocky ground including the Knife Edge.
    I can offer to shuttle y'all back to DWG from either 309 or Bake Oven Rd. on Tuesday. I'd park and hike north to meet you and hike back out.
    Last edited by Second Half; 05-02-2011 at 11:42.
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Images

Now do I put in for Friday the 13th or Tuesday the 17th off. T make four days.
    Duh, wasn't thinking when I posted that. I'm taking Tuesday the 17th off.
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Second Half View Post
    If y'all don't mind a slow fat guy bringing up the rear I'd like to tag along on Saturday. If anyone else wants to do just Saturday we could coordinate a car drop at Fox Gap, or I could probably talk my wife into shuttling me from Fox Gap to DWG.

I can offer to shuttle y'all back to DWG from either 309 or Bake Oven Rd. on Tuesday. I'd park and hike north to meet you and hike back out.
    Old fat guy bringing up the rear is usually my position. I'd say this is a more the merrier hike so If you can make it up for Sat great. I guess we should agree on a meet time at DWG. The offer of a shuttle from Bake Oven Rd. would work see what BadAndy has to say. and how many are in for four days.
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

Ah, y'all feel free to hijack away with my thread because now I can't do this one. ARGH!!!! I'm preparing to leave for Croatia and need to wrap things up and make money like crazy before I leave, and I only have TWO WEEKS LEFT! So, you all have fun and I'm REALLY sorry that I can't come. But I'm planning a long term hike in September, if anyone is interested. (My last hurrah before I sign my life away for school)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Ah, y'all feel free to hijack away with my thread because now I can't do this one. ARGH!!!! I'm preparing to leave for Croatia and need to wrap things up and make money like crazy before I leave, and I only have TWO WEEKS LEFT! So, you all have fun and I'm REALLY sorry that I can't come. But I'm planning a long term hike in September, if anyone is interested. (My last hurrah before I sign my life away for school)
    That's too bad, I was looking forward to the scones. And to meeting you. Not necessarily in that order of course!

How about Matty? Is he still in? Bacon?
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Images

Wow sorry to hear that Shlep. I was also looking forward to meeting you. I am hoping BadAndy is still in because I am putting in for two days off tomorrow. I should email him. Panzer sounds like he will try to make it may be he can pick up Matty. There was a couple of others Jersey Dave and Snorze I believe.
    As for Sept. unless you are planning to do the Shenandoahs the last two weeks I'll have to pass.
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

Wow sorry to hear that Shlep. I was also looking forward to meeting you. I am hoping BadAndy is still in because I am putting in for two days off tomorrow. I should email him. Panzer sounds like he will try to make it may be he can pick up Matty. There was a couple of others Jersey Dave and Snorze I believe.
    As for Sept. unless you are planning to do the Shenandoahs the last two weeks I'll have to pass.
    Don't worry buddy, I'm still in! Been rather hectic the last 2 weeks so I've been in hiding but I'm still here and ready to get the heck back outside. I'm all clear for the full 4 days. I'll email you when I get a chance to talk logistics.

Second Half, I'll bring up the slow fat end with you too. Looking forward to meeting everybody.

Images

That would be like hiking without whiskey and Cheese
    Wow. Now I'm even more sad that I'm not coming. Several days of hiking. Outside. With awesome people. And scones and bacon. And whiskey and cheese. Good whiskey. Balvenie 15. AWWWW MAN. Okay. Don't take me off the "might come" list yet. I might be able to meet up for only two days (and not the four).

So this is May 14-17, starting in DWG? What's the current plan?
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

I almost definitely can't make the 14th though. Work. Need make money. Zombie.

Images

[QUOTE=ShelterLeopard;1156045]Wow. Now I'm even more sad that I'm not coming. Several days of hiking. Outside. With awesome people. And scones and bacon. And whiskey and cheese. Good whiskey. Balvenie 15. AWWWW MAN. Okay. Don't take me off the "might come" list yet. I might be able to meet up for only two days (and not the four).

So this is May 14-17, starting in DWG? What's the current plan?[/QUOTE
    First forget good whiskey.I'm too cheap. I usually bring Black Velvet cheap smooth and comes in a plastic bottle. I some times bring Clan MacGregor scotch which I transfer into an old Black Velvet bottle. Sometimes I bring Admiral Nelson or Calico Jack. Cheese could be anything but one of my favorite hiking cheeses is a smoke cheddar I get at the bulk Mennonite store down the road.
    As for a plan..
    On the 14th let us meet at DWG at 11:00 should give even slow hikers time to make Kirkridge shelter. Someone? how is the tenting around that shelter the only tent I saw when I passed through was in the shelter I tented on up the trail.
    On the 15th we make for Leroy Smith shelter anyone that can only do two days can get off at Wind gap. Shlep you might jump in here. Tenting is good but up the hill from the shelter. It is listed as only 13.8 miles but the rocks will slow things down we should plan on a early start and keep moving.
    On the 16th we shoot for George Outerbridge 16.7 miles doable, I did it plus a mile,I had to get water in the morning. we have to get to the Lehigh river before dark. we can stumble up the trail from there if we have to. Spring is on the trail there was a small tent site just past the shelter and another maybe 15min. up the trail IIRC. Second Half we may need a bail out at Little Gap if the weather is too bad.
    On the 17th is up to BadAndy. Devils Pulpit and a little blue blazing? Bake Oven Rd.? or 309?
    Either my Tracker or BadAndys Jeep will be at the end of the trail and able to carry three other hikers. OK two plus me and BadAndy. Second Half has jumped in and offered rides.
    I do not know the roads but I am sure we can figure a way to get Shlep back to her ride at Wind Gap should she decide to join us.
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

Tenting is not bad at Kirkridge- I've been there a couple times when two boyscout troops flooded the area, but even then, everyone found a spot. I love that shelter. I might jump in at Kirkridge the morning of the 15th. Might meet ya by the road crossing about half a mile from the shelter. I'm HOPE HOPE HOPING to be able to come, I'll know by tuesday. And if I do, there will be scones.

PS- thanks harryfred for taking over the planning and getting everyone revved up- I was just going to let it fall off until mid summer and be lazy!!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++