WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 50-60 miles in Shenandoah?

Looking to hike Virginia in July or August with my 2 sons (12 & 14). Can anyone suggest a good 50-60 mile section?

We did 60 miles of NCT in Michigan's UP last summer, and 50 mile section of AT from Harpers to PenMar the summer before.

Thanks!

Images

Although I haven't done all of SNP yet, I've done a good chunk of it. In my experience, everything I've seen has been really nice, great trail and great shelters. Only thing I'd suggest is starting at either the north or the south entrance to the park. That way next time you take a trip there you can just pickup where you left off.
    Though since you mentioned you've been south to Harpers, maybe you could pickup there and hike to front royal (not sure the distance for that) and then however much more you want in SNP. Just an idea.
    Good luck on your trip! I wish I was going on hikes like that when I was that age!
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

The distance from Rockfish Gap in the south to the northernmost crossing of Skyline Drive at Compton Gap is 102 miles with an additional 5 1/2 miles down the ridge to Rt. 522 outside Front Royal. The Big Meadows area is about 60 miles from the south end and 40 miles from the Compton Gap. So I suggest doing one of these halves.

Starting your hike from either end (Rockfish Gap or Rt. 522) means you start with a 1,500' ascent but the upside is you get to end at Big Meadows where you can celebrate with a dinner at the lodge. Beginning at Big Meadows is an easier start i.e. no initial ascent.

You can't go wrong with either section - have fun!

We did a 4 (or 5) day from US-522 (Front Royal) to Harper's Ferry last year that was pretty good. If you go NOBO, it starts off easy and then gets into the Roller Coaster and Devil's Turnpike (which is subjective) and then into HF.

Edit: That is just over 53 miles, and through Sky Meadows, which I really enjoyed walking through cause of the views down into towns.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Looking to hike Virginia in July or August with my 2 sons (12 & 14). Can anyone suggest a good 50-60 mile section?

We did 60 miles of NCT in Michigan's UP last summer, and 50 mile section of AT from Harpers to PenMar the summer before.

Thanks!
    come-on dad lets hike the entire SNP section of the APPALACHIAN TRAIL. its only 40 more miles

Images

Water may be a problem that time of year in the souther section.

Images

We did the 65 miles from Swift Run Gap (US 33) to Front Royal in June a few years ago. Very nice hike, though it was unusually hot. Stopping at the waysides for food and cold drinks was awesome.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I don't see how anyone could have a water issue on the AT in the Shenandoahs. If you run out just walk over to the highway and flag down a tourist for some water.

That's what the faint-of-heart were doing last year when I went through in mid-June.....or so the story goes.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Bug View Post
    Water may be a problem that time of year in the souther section.
    Yeah you have to watch water south of Blackrock.
    I'd do from Swift run gap in SNP north to Rt 522. Most interesting park features in central and north areas. Take side trails to Bearfence, Dark Hollow Falls, Stony Man cliffs, White Oak Canyon, etc. Get food at the waysides at Big meadows and Elkwallow, or a nice lunch at Skyland

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Take the time to see the interesting aspects of Shenandoah as noted above . Include in that list ; Marys Rock , Hawksbill Summit ( highest elevation in the park @ 4,050) and the summit of Sugarloaf Mt. ,all within a short walking distance from the AT.

Personally , I would culminate by finishing at Big Meadows where you could eat a meal at the wayside resturaunt and celebrate with ice cream or a smooth blackberry shake afterwards.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    come-on dad lets hike the entire SNP section of the APPALACHIAN TRAIL. its only 40 more miles
    LOL... It's MOM! Dad has a bum knee and only goes for the canoe/portage trip like Boundary Waters ...(this July!).

Perhaps I will try to convince the boys they can do it! From what I gather, it is much more level than what we did from Harpers to Pen Mar, correct? (I am still waiting for my new AT Trail book to arrive...I learned the hard way and left all but the pages I needed in a shelter 2 years ago to reduce weight!).

I do have to watch the time...plan on departing Michigan and being back within 10 days...

Images

I liked the southern half of SNP the best. I also like the section of PA between penmar and boiling springs PA. The southern half of SNP has better views but southern PA is flatter and has better shelters.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    LOL... It's MOM! Dad has a bum knee and only goes for the canoe/portage trip like Boundary Waters ...(this July!).

Perhaps I will try to convince the boys they can do it! From what I gather, it is much more level than what we did from Harpers to Pen Mar, correct? (I am still waiting for my new AT Trail book to arrive...I learned the hard way and left all but the pages I needed in a shelter 2 years ago to reduce weight!).

I do have to watch the time...plan on departing Michigan and being back within 10 days...
    So if you have 8 days of hiking time, you need to average 13 mpd to hike the entirety of SNP. Could you do it? Probably. But do you really want to make finishing SNP a priority vis-a-vis taking time at overlooks and mountaintops and enjoying treats at the waysides?

It's important for you to enjoy the hike but equally important, you want the hike to be a pleasurable experience for your sons. Only you know your collective desires and capabilities. I'm just saying don't put too much pressure on yourselves to "finish."

If I only hiked 13 mpd in SNP I would die of boredom. Plan your snack breaks around the overlooks and your meals around the waysides.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Journal Entries

i will be hiking section hike in september from rockfish gap to frontroyal, it's about 70 miles. i've hiked that region my whole life, and it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    So if you have 8 days of hiking time, you need to average 13 mpd to hike the entirety of SNP. Could you do it? Probably. But do you really want to make finishing SNP a priority vis-a-vis taking time at overlooks and mountaintops and enjoying treats at the waysides?

It's important for you to enjoy the hike but equally important, you want the hike to be a pleasurable experience for your sons. Only you know your collective desires and capabilities. I'm just saying don't put too much pressure on yourselves to "finish."
    i wasn't trying to say death march the kids, i was looking at it thru the kids eye's. some kids might want to do the side trail and all, but some kids might get a bigger kick out of completing the entire park section. mom will know best, when the time comes

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tuswm View Post
    I liked the southern half of SNP the best. I also like the section of PA between penmar and boiling springs PA. The southern half of SNP has better views but southern PA is flatter and has better shelters.

Disagree about the southern half having better views, but that's my personal opinion. I mean Blackrock is nice, but the trail does not go over any peaks hardly at all in the south (except maybe Hightop). Its also very dry except the Ivy Creek area and north from Simmons Gap. In the central you have Bearfence. One whole nine mile stretch between Big Meadows and Skyland is all views as it follows a ridge. There's Marys Rock. Up in the North there are the Marshalls, Hogback, Compton Peak etc. You have much better selection of views and waterfalls opportunities Swift Run to Front Royal. Plus eating
    Last edited by Blissful; 02-16-2011 at 12:07.

Hiking Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    i will be hiking section hike in september from rockfish gap to frontroyal, it's about 70 miles. i've hiked that region my whole life, and it's beautiful.

Too bad you can't wait a few weeks and go mid Oct. Even better

Hiking Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    i will be hiking section hike in september from rockfish gap to frontroyal, it's about 70 miles. I've hiked that region my whole life, and it's beautiful.
    rockfish to front royal is 107 miles Isn't it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++