WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default black diamond hiking poles

I have a chance to pick up a pair of black diamond poles, new, for about $85 with free shipping. They weight 1lb 3 ozs. Good idea?

Images

I have a pair of black diamond poles. Love 'em. They have the thumb lock rather than the twist lock. I haven't had any problems at all. I think I paid $99 for mine so $85 is a good deal.

everything black diamond makes can be trusted with your life.
    matthewski

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I would not consider buying a different brand.

You might want to make sure they're not the "Compact" model - they come up on Steep and Cheap from time to time and I understand they're a bit on the small size.

Images

My next pair of poles will be Black Diamond. With that being said , what model are you buying ? Is this from an outfitter , e-bay , etc. ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

best poles for useing as tent/tarp poles with the thumblock easy adjustment well worth the money!!
    Efficiency is intelligent laziness
    Anonymous

aka Kudzu
    Images

Which ones? I just got some Trail Shocks in the mail and took them on a couple of short day hikes this past weekend. So far I really like them. I do need to re-tension the bottom lock on one since it collapsed twice. Other than that they were solid. I find both the grips and the wrist straps to be very comfortable. They seem to be very well made.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I've owned 2 pairs of hiking poles over the last 12 years. My first was a pair of Leki Makalu. Those poles "collapsed" on me causing me to go head-first down a very steep incline along the AT. I never used them again.

After I recovered, I bought a pair of Black Diamond poles. I am noticeably heavier now that I own the BD poles, and I can put all kinds of weight on these things. They haven't let me down yet. Also, I think that the locking system is not only safer, but a LOT quicker than what Leki has to offer. If it were me, I'd jump on a pair of BD poles in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Red Beard; 02-19-2011 at 12:57.

Thumbs up

I like mine. I think they're $99 poles but I procured them through an unusual arrangement. I had REI brand poles and when they broke in 2005, I took them back and REI offered an trade-in upgrade so I paid a net of $25.

One thing I like about the BDs is the rubbery part of the grip extends down the handle several inches. This helps when you're hiking up a steep hill on a hot day with sweaty hands and you need to "shorten up" on the poles.

I've lost Black Diamond tips 2 or 3 times. The first time, the company gave me a replacement lower shaft gratis. Subsequent times, I had to pay.

The poles don't collapse easily - not just for me but I've heard others say the same thing. But I'm getting better at it! Got them collapsed right away after today's hike in the Red River Gorge.

Black Diamond sell poles (at RRP) from $46 to $150, so I am not exactly sure how anyone here can tell you if $85 for a pair is good value or not...
    Here is a link , so you can figure that out for yourself ..
    http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles
    BTW, having had only a quick look I could not see one at exactly 1 lb 3 ozs.
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    I have a pair of black diamond poles. Love 'em. They have the thumb lock rather than the twist lock. I haven't had any problems at all. I think I paid $99 for mine so $85 is a good deal.
    +1 on this post and the cost. I have a pair if BD Ergo Corks, and I love them! Great poles. Wouldn't hike without them.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Default Bd

Asked for more information on model number but really like the general opinions about black diamond. One of my leki's died a noble death in Maine last year torqued apart but saved a nasty fall on Big Blue or Blue something like that. Oh well that's the purpose in the end.
    Regards,
    Aquaman

I have a pair of BD poles with the thumblock mechanisms. They're great, and I find the locking mechanism to be better than twist locks.

I have a pair and have not had any issues using them.

Images

BD are the best SAFEST pole for the money due to the locking system. Never collasped on me, even at my heaviest weight of 350 lbs. Much more sturdy and just as comfortable as the overpriced Leki with the inferior twist locks.

Images

Agreed. BD poles are nice. Thumb lock is much better than the twist lock.

Journal Entries
    Images

Red face cork handles

my BD poles have the natural cork handles and i LOVE them!!!

and their locking mechanisms are great, too. no complaints coming from me...buy up while they're on sale!!
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Images

another thumbs up for BD poles. I switched to BD poles last year after using another brand for years. BD poles, IMO, are much better. The lock system makes the poles much more stable.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

aka Kudzu
    Images

Just posted a review on my blog today.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I also have a pair of ergo cork BD trekking poles, they are great! Love the flick lock.

Jab.
    The other day I...No, wait.....That wasn't me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++