For a while now I've had the idea of using radiant reflective barrier insulation (aluminized polyester, space blankets, etc) in camping gear. My big idea was to use it in a sleeping pad, but I recently discovered that it's already been done (Thermarest Neoair). By now, I've gotten used to having ideas only to find that Someone else had them first, but what shocked me is how much the pad costs.

Out of curiosity, I started looking up "space blanket material" on the internet, and found that "radiant reflective barrier insulation" can be bought in bulk for use in insulating buildings for a fairly low cost.

Why not mate this stuff between two thin layers of closed cell foam so theres no heat conduction, and make what's basically a 2oz heavier version of a Z-lite pad, with R values of something like 7.5-15?

It sounds like it should work, but I'm half skeptical that it would, just because of how simple it is.

If anyone has a way to construct and test this inexpensively, or has any helpful input as to whether or not this would actually work, please feel free to comment

Thanks for your time.