WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default I-40 to Erwin - Cell Service?

I'm in the midst of planning my next section (my wife uses a different term, somewhat derogatory, indicating I might need medication). How is service between those two end points. I'd assume that as long as there's line of site to I-40, I'd have service, but what happens when I'm in the "shadow" of Snowbird Mountain? I've read Hot Springs has no service (although there are land lines available). How about through the Southern Balds? Camp Creek Bald fire tower is an antenna farm, I've read, so maybe acceptable service? And as you approach I-26 and parallel it up to Erwin, I should be OK.

My wife doesn't hike, and I'd like to be able to check in with her periodically. If she knows ahead of time there will be "dead spots", she'll be fine, she says. Even if she doesn't hear from me unexpectedly, we have a routine for that worked out, which culminates with me calling her as soon as I can while she waits anxiously by the phone and calls the rangers out for me.

Just kidding, of course, but it seems polite to let her know if there will be times I can't call on schedule.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I think you have a pretty accurate picture... 10 miles either side of Hot Springs will be the area of the most spotty coverage.

Once you climb out of Allen Gap going north coverage is pretty good - not 100% but I don't think I've ever really needed to make or receive a call and not been able to without too much trouble.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I think you have a pretty accurate picture... 10 miles either side of Hot Springs will be the area of the most spotty coverage.

Once you climb out of Allen Gap going north coverage is pretty good - not 100% but I don't think I've ever really needed to make or receive a call and not been able to without too much trouble.
    10-K, thanks a lot. That helps tremendously. Sounds like there shouldn't be very many areas I can't reach out to reassure her I haven't fallen off a cliff and been eaten by a bear while starving to death.

Tell her that hiking the AT is safer than her daily commute to work, or wherever she goes

Images

Thanks, High Side, she knows. (Especially her commute in that hot little sports car she just got!) And she's not really worried about me, especially considering the number of hikers I've "rescued" (3) vs. the number of times in our 37 years together (0). It's just polite to keep in touch. After all, she'll still be in Florida.

I went thru there last year and cell service was very poor. Best reception is at the very tops of mtn's. I was not able to call home for 3 or 4 days in a row.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There should only be a couple dead spots where there is very little cell service. Back sides of mountains and hollows, and the lower gaps. Flint Mtn, No Business, Spivey Gap.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Some dead spots. Some seem like you should be able to get service, but can't. I just went for a hike in the SNP. You could see cell towers and it was tough to get a signal. I was hiking in the Wilderness and got 4 bars at the Antlers campsite. Best not to tell the wife you will call at any particular time. If you can't get a signal, she will worry.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

<Gleefully taking notes!>

All great info, everyone, thanks so much. I'm leaving her a map with probable campsites, so she'll know where I'm more or less supposed to be. I'll be adding all these spots on, as well, so she has a general idea of when not to hear from me.

We've got a routine. I try to call morning and evening (heck, I like to tell her what she's missing!). If no voice signal, I can often get a text message out instead. After a period, she calls me; we've found a land line can reach my cell when I can't call out. After that, give up until the next check in period. (You're right, earlyriser, it's not a set time, knowing the uncertainties of hiking.)

Again, thanks for all your help, everyone.

Images

Tell her the whole trail is a dead spot and you'll call her when you get off the trail. Enjoy.
    It's a great day to be alive !

++ New Posts ++