WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Kind of Socks with Trail Runners?

I'm switching over from boots to trailrunners, and I'm wondering if the sock configuration (liner and smartwool-type sock) remains the same, or if you can get by with just one multipurpose sock with trailrunners. Right now I have Vasque Breeze boots, which I wear with liners and a hiking-weight Smartwool sock...I've never had a blister with this set-up. Now I'm thinking about going over to the Vasque Blur trailrunner, and just an ultralight smartwool hiking sock. Do I need a liner?

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

It depends on the season, but for most warm-weather hiking I just wear low cut cotton socks. I've found that once socks are wet, whether synthetic, wool, or cotton, they're wet for good anyway.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Sorry for the second post...but it really is a personal preference that you won't be able to make a solid judgment on until you've tried out different configurations. What works for me might tear your feet up and vice versa. It's impossible to give a definitive answer on things like this.

Images

Wrightsocks Coolmesh for me.

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    It depends on the season, but for most warm-weather hiking I just wear low cut cotton socks. I've found that once socks are wet, whether synthetic, wool, or cotton, they're wet for good anyway.
    Interesting, I have exactly the opposite experience. I wear Smartwool socks with my Teva Dozer sandals. The socks dried within a half hour of stepping in a puddle. Temps were below 50 on a dry Autumn day. The socks also dried within an hour after rain stopped. I certainly believe that wearing sandals is a significant part of this equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple_Sky View Post
    I'm switching over from boots to trailrunners, and I'm wondering if the sock configuration (liner and smartwool-type sock) remains the same, or if you can get by with just one multipurpose sock with trailrunners. Right now I have Vasque Breeze boots, which I wear with liners and a hiking-weight Smartwool sock...I've never had a blister with this set-up. Now I'm thinking about going over to the Vasque Blur trailrunner, and just an ultralight smartwool hiking sock. Do I need a liner?
    I made the switch last year. First factor; gore-tex or not gore-tex? I use non gore-tex Salomons. I wear Wigwam Cool-Lite Hiker Pro socks (Syn). Good cushion and dry very quickly. Of course this isn't for Winter. I also use FITS Lite Hiker socks (Merino Wool). So far so good.

PS A lighter pack will help with Trail Runners
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

Default Trail Socks

I wear several styles of low cut socks but mostly Wright coolmesh. I wear these in temps down to about 35/40 degrees but my feet seldom get cold. The wright socks are an all in one combo sock/liner. I wear a Patagonia low cut in cold weather it's a thicker sock. I have also used Ingenus sp? socks they are pretty good socks. You really need to try a few styles to see what works for you. If a separate liner works well keep using it and experiment with other styles on shorter hikes.

I also refrain from wearing Goretex shoes until temps are very cold/ snow is on the ground ankle to calf deep. Generally I wear different Vasque shoes. I don't care for Gortex because once it gets wet it stays wet longer. Also dirt, sweat, etc. breaks down the membrane and your shoes are always in a dirt/sweat environment. Just my 2 cent's worth.

wrt socks in trail runners I use Darn Tough micro crew socks : http://www.darntough.com/hike-trek-1467.html

Garlic
    Images

When I wore boots, I used a liner sock. Now that I wear trail runners, I no longer use a liner. I use Smartwool light hiker or equivalent for all my three-season hiking.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

man - I have to disagree with buff-jeff about the cotton socks - I use the new smartwools in my trail runners - when they get damp, they are still nice and warm - if they get dunked in a creek, you can wring them out and use them until you get some sunshine - they work (and dry) much better than cotton. The new smartwools fit a little tighter when wet too - I even wear them in my regular running shoes on cold day runs - and no, I'm not the rep.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Normally I wear a midweight merino wool sock.

This winter with all the snow I've been wearing a lighter sock with a pair of Rocky goretex socks over them. Works great - my shoes have gotten completely wet and my socks, while damp from perspiring, have never gotten completely soaked. (So it was pretty easy to dry them overnight).

A few days ago I went on a hike and just wore socks and trail runners without the goretex socks and my feet got soaked from hiking in the snow.

+1 for Gortex socks in the winter.

Another vote for Wrightsocks. They are very durable and come in various weights and heights. This is a two layer sock that is like wearing liner sock. Kinda expensive. Oh yeah, Made in the U.S.A.

Default Socks

REI and EMS both sell the Wright socks for a pretty good price. They also both sell a 2 pack. EMS has them buy 3 double packs get one free $17 per 2 pack. A lot of money but I've worn mine for 2-3 years before they wear out.

I wear tightly knit wool socks with no liners. I've used Smartwool, Omni-wool (Sam's Club), Pearl Izumi (cycling socks) and DeFeet Woolie-Bullie socks - all have a majority of wool fibers and a bit of something else for stretch. They cut way down on the stink factor vs. synthetic or cotton socks and dry very well. Different shoes require different thicknesses of socks, and as you hike it's likely your feet will swell so I plan on wearing thicker socks at the beginning of the week (usually the length of a typical section hike for me) and thinner socks towards the end of the week.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

im a big fan of the darn tough my self i hvnt been able to put a whole in a pair.

I second the darn Tough mid cut. I have over a years heavy use out of a pair and there still without holes.

Love wright's cool mesh, but I've used mostly for running and only a bit of backpacking. I'll be scouring for lightweight options for backpacking this summer.

I also use smart wool socks with my trail runners. My son tried a low cut cotton sock once, the size of the blisters around his ankles were amazing!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++