WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cheap gray socks from Wal Mart.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I hated my wrightsocks, wore clean through at the heel twice less than a week of use. Returned them to Campmor. I like smartwool or wigwam myself.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I have Wrighsocks that I have been wearing every day to run in that are probably three years old. Not a hole anywhere and these the the Lite verson. I have never worn a sock out at the heal, always at the big toe.

I loved my wrightsocks...but I had the same issue as Blissful. Wore them out in no time. I used them in SoCal portion of the PCT without gaiters, maybe all the sand dirt that got in my shoes was the culprit? I eventually went with the cheap walmart nylon socks and have been very happy. I wear 2 pairs at the same time, effectively acts like wrightsocks, but cheap and indestructible.

Good luck with the lighter weight patagonia socks.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Wrightsocks Coolmesh for me.
    Me too. I like Wrightsocks and Solomon Trailrunners.
    OnlyJohn

I use Darn Tough Vermont socks, in colder weather I use the merino wool boot cushion or micro crew cushion socks, sometimes with a Smartwool merino sock liner.

in hotter weather I use the Coolmax boot cushion or micro-crew cushion, without the liners. last summer it was impossible to keep socks/feet dry during the hot, humid weather, I tried stopping every 2-3 hours to take off shoes to try to dry socks and feet.

good luck

avoid cotton socks for hiking. In my local hiking chapter down here in Florida, I hear from many who boast of buying their hiking clothes and socks on sale at Walmart or Dollar General store.

nothing wrong with searching for bargains, but be smart about it. Big difference between what you can use on shorter dayhikes and on a long duration AT thru hike.

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to reply!

I had lots of problems with boots, changed to trail runners last season and found a thick sock worked best for me. I use the Darn Tough, made in Vermont.

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Default Socks

This is good information. Thanks
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Images

Injinji toe socks for me. No more toe blisters! Tape my heel with Leukotape and I am now a blister free hiker.

I use Injinji socks as well. Not the super thin ones.

Before that, and still occasionally, I also use Dahlgren alpaca wool blend hiking socks.

I'm a little nervous about this issue. I'm starting my thru at Springer on April 5th and not sure what to expect with shoes and socks combination. I've been on a few 5-7 backpacking trips, nothing like a thru - but I've never had any foot issues with blisters, etc.

So I just bought the cheapest pair of Vasques on Campmor, paired with some SmartWool light socks. Hopefully it'll work. I think the hikers are mostly worn in, I got a couple hot spots initially but no blisters.

I guess only time will tell. One the one hand, if I'm gonna freak out about a blister I'm in trouble for my thru. But I was raised in my parent's shoe store, so I have weird psychological issues with feet. Haha

I'm a big fan of Icebreaker's running socks. I think they are the Micro or Micro Lite version. Also their ankle length hiking socks are good if you don't like the low cut and want a little more cushion. Honestly the cushion is not that big of a difference though.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Stay far from cotton. Cotton socks truly suck and will give you awesome blisters. With trail runners get the thinnest synthetic sock their is. I use Iron Man Triathalon by Wigwam (I believe) I used to use the cool mesh with the double layer but found that all sorts of junk gets stuck between the layers like pine needles and little pebbles, and you have to tear a little hole to get them out. The thinnest socks dry a lot quicker and wick moisture away from your feet preventing blisters. I haven't read this whole thread, but don't believe people suggestions, if they suggested it, of heavy wool socks, thats an old school heavy boot approach that wont help you out a bit on the trail. Stay with the thin ones and your feet will be happy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++