WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default AT Section from Italy

Hi,
    Me and my girlfriend have planned to trek 1 or 2 sections of AT from 20 may to 6 june..
    In this period we think to arrive at NY and leave USA from Washington DC..
    We have think to walk in two sections of 4-5 days (2 x 50-60 miles); we have read your forum and chose the Shenandoah National Park and Delaware Gap Water.. The first is "near" at Washington and the other one at NY..
    But we would to know if this is a good choose!! It's not easy from Italy understand what part of AT it's better.. We don't know when we'll come to walk again in AT and so we would spend your holiday not in the wrong place :-)
    And we ask you where can start the trek and where we can go out by bus or train.. Maybe if someones know where there are shops (in the choosed section) to buy foods or we have to buy all food for 5 days at the start ?
    If you think it's better you can propose an unique section of 8-10 days...
    Thank you in advance for your help!!

Personally the Smokies would be a must see for me but I have not hiked the entire trail. There are shops along the way sometimes. It depends on the section. If you were doing a five day trip I would just carry what I needed at the start so you do more hiking and less trying to get to shops.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure I would choose Delaware Water Gap area if I could only do a section. Its not that unique, in my opinion. But if you have to fly into NYC, then the Appalachian Trail in NY is the closest. If you have the option of flying out elsewhere, then we can narrow it down more.
    Shenandoah area is a fine place for a section, especially if you haven't done much backpacking.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

As TheChop mentioned The Great Smoky Mountain National Park (GSMNP) would be really nice and beautiful that time of year. You could just do one long section there, but the challenge would be since you are not a "thru-hiker" (defined by GSMNP as a hiker that hikes 50 miles on both sides of the park) you would need to book reservations at the shelters. That takes some planning but it's very much possible, especially if you book your reservation 30 days in advance. Reservations are limited so you need to try to book as earliest as possible, but no more than 30 days in advance. There are hiker friendly establishments at both ends of the GSMNP that may be able to help with transportation to/from the airport.

The other option would be to fly in and out of Atlanta and do the first 100 miles of the AT from Springer Mountain. Again there are hiker friendly establishments that could easily help you with shuttle to/from the airport.

Do either of those options sound good to you?

If you want to look into the GSMNP option more, you might want to consider emailing these folks to see what services they could provide for you, such as shuttles to/from the airports (Asheville NC or Knoxville TN) and to/from GSMNP trailheads:

Curtis Owen at Standing Bear Farm and Hostel is located just north of Davenport Gap (the northern end of GSMNP) at mile 238.

Jeff and Nancy Hoch at The Hike Inn are located just south of Fontana Dam NC (the southern end of GSMNP) at mile 162.

If you want to look into the Springer option more, you might want to consider checking out this website to see what services they could provide for you, such as shuttles to/from the Atlanta airport and to/from GA and NC trailheads:

Josh and Leigh Saint at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega GA, near Springer Mountain.

Images

Shenandoah National Park is a great section for a hike. The Central and North section combine to make a 65-mile section that is relatively easy and can be hiked in 5-6 days depending on your physical condition. There are plenty of places along the trail that offer food and drink and places to stay (though you'll still want to camp most nights.)

Not sure about Delaware Water Gap.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The views in the DE Water Gap are pleasant. They aren't spectacular, but they are very pretty. You will see Sunfish Pond, which is very pretty. The walk into the small town named is especially pretty if you take the Dunnefield Creek Trail rather than the Appalachian Trail. Please be aware that black bears can be very active in that area. They will also be active in Shenandoah National Park. These are very nice sections of trail to hike. I know both areas pretty well and understand a very, very little bit of Italian. I live about halfway between the two areas. If I can help you out, please send me a personal message here on White Blaze.

If you are considering the section in Shenandoah (which I would recommend as relatively easy with many conveniences), keep an eye on this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69660

I haven't done the Smokies, but they come highly recommended by other AT hikers. Consider this as well (though hiking will be more difficult as will be resupply).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Darietto-- I am switching places with you! I will be hiking the Amalfi coast this summer!
    I highly recommend the Virginia section, especially starting in Damascus and going north. Beautiful scenery and plenty of small towns for supplies. Kind of far from NYC, however.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Ending at Harper's Ferry from either south or north would help you get into Washington, DC. You can take trains from there. My choice would be the Shenandoahs north.

Just curious but why come all the way to the US to hike two short sections of the AT?
    The AT is a great long distance trail but there are more spectacular places for short hikes in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by royalusa View Post
    As TheChop mentioned The Great Smoky Mountain National Park (GSMNP) would be really nice and beautiful that time of year. You could just do one long section there, but the challenge would be since you are not a "thru-hiker" (defined by GSMNP as a hiker that hikes 50 miles on both sides of the park) you would need to book reservations at the shelters. That takes some planning but it's very much possible, especially if you book your reservation 30 days in advance. Reservations are limited so you need to try to book as earliest as possible, but no more than 30 days in advance. There are hiker friendly establishments at both ends of the GSMNP that may be able to help with transportation to/from the airport.

The other option would be to fly in and out of Atlanta and do the first 100 miles of the AT from Springer Mountain. Again there are hiker friendly establishments that could easily help you with shuttle to/from the airport.

Do either of those options sound good to you?
    Thank you very much! you were very kind and helpful! Your information will be very helpful! we are seriously thinking about a single section of 8-10 days in GSMNP.. it seems really nice..

Quote Originally Posted by mad4scrapping View Post
    Darietto-- I am switching places with you! I will be hiking the Amalfi coast this summer!
    I highly recommend the Virginia section, especially starting in Damascus and going north. Beautiful scenery and plenty of small towns for supplies. Kind of far from NYC, however.
    Thank you for yuor information..
    I have never seen Amalfi (I live near at alps and 1000km far from amalfi :-) ) but everybody says it's wonderful and I hope you enjoy this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    Just curious but why come all the way to the US to hike two short sections of the AT?
    The AT is a great long distance trail but there are more spectacular places for short hikes in the US.
    Sometimes it's a random choose
    We loves hinking through the alps in the summer and in the winter, in addiction I have hiked 650km of Cammino de Santiago in 2007 summer and I have found that experience really nice and "relaxing"..
    Then my girlfriend have read the book of Bill Bryson and we are curios about this trekking...And we hope to relax from the stress of every day...
    But I have had this dubt too...
    Do you think is it better to go to other place?
    Why don't you propose us some place plesase?

Thank you!

Thank you everybody for your information! Really!
    We are really thinking about a "long" (8-10 days) in the Smokies.. I like very much the part in crest
    This evening I talk about this with my gilrfriend and we are going to decide and plan the trekking and the transport from the city to park and viceversa...
    Then we'll read about cooking and sleeping tips ( the reservation can be a good solution for us because we are sure to have a place to sleep and maybe we can leave the tend at home.. right this? )
    But if you have a good idea or important tips we thanks to write us!!

Quote Originally Posted by Limo View Post
    The views in the DE Water Gap are pleasant. They aren't spectacular, but they are very pretty. You will see Sunfish Pond, which is very pretty. The walk into the small town named is especially pretty if you take the Dunnefield Creek Trail rather than the Appalachian Trail. Please be aware that black bears can be very active in that area. They will also be active in Shenandoah National Park. These are very nice sections of trail to hike. I know both areas pretty well and understand a very, very little bit of Italian. I live about halfway between the two areas. If I can help you out, please send me a personal message here on White Blaze.
    Thank you Limo for your availability!!
    I hope not to disturb you

Quote Originally Posted by Darietto View Post
    Sometimes it's a random choose
    We loves hinking through the alps in the summer and in the winter, in addiction I have hiked 650km of Cammino de Santiago in 2007 summer and I have found that experience really nice and "relaxing"..
    Then my girlfriend have read the book of Bill Bryson and we are curios about this trekking...And we hope to relax from the stress of every day...
    But I have had this dubt too...
    Do you think is it better to go to other place?
    Why don't you propose us some place plesase?

Thank you!

Are you really set on your late May/early June time frame? If it could be about a month later there are definitely more spectacular ridge walking views out west, such as Yosemite and the Rockies (USA- Glacier National Park & Rocky Mountain National Park and in Canada - Banff and Waterton). The Grand Canyon is spectacular too. The AT is going to be full of trees with their leaves blocking views much more often. But the AT is very different from your Alps so that might make it more special for you. Not really sure what you are looking for. If it is spectacular views, the AT in my opinion is not what you want to come all this way for.

Quote Originally Posted by royalusa View Post
    Are you really set on your late May/early June time frame? If it could be about a month later there are definitely more spectacular ridge walking views out west, such as Yosemite and the Rockies (USA- Glacier National Park & Rocky Mountain National Park and in Canada - Banff and Waterton). The Grand Canyon is spectacular too. The AT is going to be full of trees with their leaves blocking views much more often. But the AT is very different from your Alps so that might make it more special for you. Not really sure what you are looking for. If it is spectacular views, the AT in my opinion is not what you want to come all this way for.
    UNfortunately we can just that time frame..
    We have decide to try the AT int the Smokies for 8-9 days
    Maybe you are correct: there are more spectacular places but they are more touristic and with a lot of people..
    In this moment we would try a new experience.. more relaxing and in the nature.. We are dreaming to spend the evening around a fire and sleep in a tend or shelter.. if we'll be lucky watch some animals
    We have thinked it's easier in the future to visit "famous" parks but maybe it'll be more difficult hike a section of AT...
    So we are planinng to fly to Washington DC and to Knoxville or Asheville where we think it will be easy found a bus to the park...
    When we have finished to hike go to some nice place to the coast (now we don't where :-) )...maybe a beach ...and at the end some days in NYC before come back to Italy...
    When we'll have a good plan I'll disturb you to ask other info

Thank you everybody!

Sounds like a great plan! The Smokies are very unique. Who knows you may end up writing a followup book to Bill Bryson's Walk in the Woods that led you to this American adventure.

As mentioned above, these folks should be able to help you get to/from the park: (I'm not aware of any bus to the park - we haven't advanced our public transportation as well as other countries.)

Curtis Owen at Standing Bear Farm and Hostel is located just north of Davenport Gap (the northern end of GSMNP) at mile 238.

Jeff and Nancy Hoch at The Hike Inn are located just south of Fontana Dam NC (the southern end of GSMNP) at mile 162.

Have a great trip and hike!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++