WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Why do my toes get cold?

When I hike in the winter the tips of my toes go numb. To battle this i bought a pair of keen growlers which are insulated hiking boots and a pair of smartwool mountaineering socks. Yet I still have frozen toes. What I think is that i may have to much insulation causing my feet to sweat which makes the inside of my boot and sock slightly damp preventing them from keeping warm. Then they are never able to dry out. What do you guys think?

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrnj5k View Post
    When I hike in the winter the tips of my toes go numb. To battle this i bought a pair of keen growlers which are insulated hiking boots and a pair of smartwool mountaineering socks. Yet I still have frozen toes. What I think is that i may have to much insulation causing my feet to sweat which makes the inside of my boot and sock slightly damp preventing them from keeping warm. Then they are never able to dry out. What do you guys think?
    Possibly ..also ..put on a hat..yep..when your feet are cold sometimes a hat on your head will warm em up...You lose a lot of heat through you're uncovered head...As your vital body parts lose heat your body automatically pulls blood from your extremities (feet first) to try and warm the more vital areas, such as your brain, heart, lungs... My feet are seldom really warm when out in the cold..but a hat can help..seriously..

Images

i wear a fleece beanie

Images

i wear a fleece beanie
    Basically put on a hat or some type of head cover I have a fleece balaclava for when it's really cold..otherwise a hat

Images

I wear a hat!

Images

I wear a hat!
    Then it could be that what you suspected...your feet may be sweating a lot or it could just be that you are like me and will never have really warm feet when you're you're out in the cold..Mine don't get quite as cold in the insulated boots though as when I wore regular uninsulated boots...I also use Smart Wool socks...

Images

Do they get cold during the hike or when you are camped? Cant really tell from your original post.

Well if you are hiking and this happens thing about using a vapor barrier liner (VBL) between your feet and your socks.

If at camp thing about using a couple pairs of clean winter socks coupled with a down bootie or other insulated winter camp shoe.

If your toes get cold, it may be that your boots plus the socks you wear may be constricting the circulation to your toes. I am not familiar with the boots, but if they have thinly insulated rubber toe bumpers it may actually be contributing to your problem. Try using thinner socks (sounds irrational, I know, but it will help your circulation) and if that doesn't work, try using plastic bread bags either directly over your bare feet and under your socks or over a thin liner sock and under your insulating sock - this will be a vapor barrier which keeps the moisture from your feet from soaking the insulation in your socks. Your feet will not "swim in sweat" but rather the sweat glands will shut down when the humidity withing the bread bags reaches the saturation point. Your feet will only feel damp after you remove your socks.
    "Reader's Digest" version-Too tight, too cold - insulation too wet, again, too cold.
    Try vapor barriers.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

they get cold when im camped

Default Vapour Barrier

Vapour Barrier (plastic bags)
    'Twas my project this winter to Test - very happy with the results.

Ok, Tinker, time for another glass of sake .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default Booties

Solution: Booties! The down jacket of winter camping.

Images

Then probably dry socks and some type of insulated bootie worn around camp..this will also give your boots a chance to dry out some....a trick I read by Tipi Walter to dry and warm your boots at night... for next am..when you sack out for the night heat some water put in water bottles ..put inside a sock, sit one bottle in each boot, cap a glove over top of each bottle and cover the whole enchilada with your goose down jacket or parka if it's cold enough you took one with you..

Default cold toes

When I lived in Michigan, I left my boots in the unheated garage during the winter. The cold boots prevented my feet from sweating and they stayed cool and dry instead of getting wet and cold.

Images

after hearing all your recommendations, i think my feet are sweating when i hike causing my socks and boots to get damp. warmlite.com makes vbsocks which i just ordered.

Images

after hearing all your recommendations, i think my feet are sweating when i hike causing my socks and boots to get damp. warmlite.com makes vbsocks which i just ordered.
    Hopefully that will solve your problem..Let me know how it works for you and maybe I'll give it a shot too..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HIPOCKETS View Post
    When I lived in Michigan, I left my boots in the unheated garage during the winter. The cold boots prevented my feet from sweating and they stayed cool and dry instead of getting wet and cold.
    Hmm..that makes sense too.. a lot of unthought of stuff can be learned here ..as long as it's not so cold the damp boots freeze that sounds like a good idea

sometimes shoe strings are tied too tight and restrict blood flow. try tying your boots a little more loosely

I have owned a pair of Warmlite socks for about 12 years. They work well. Make sure you put them on and trim and sew them to fit your feet snugly, otherwise they may bunch up and cause blisters.

Images

Go buy a can of spray anti-perspirant and use it on your feet. Let dry before putting on socks. Then go out in the cold and see if it helps.

Might help get an answer, might be only part. Tight might be part.

I find my feet stay/feel dryer with a polypro liner under wool, than with a single coolmax sock. Year round.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++