WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to get??

Question What to get??

I'm starting my through-hike within the next month or so and was wondering the best stove available to use. It was recommended to me to use a Jetboil with white gas although I'm unsure as to what model. I've also heard I can make my own stove with alcohol, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Thornton

You are opening a giant can of worms. Use the search function on this forum and search for stoves. I have been looking for 6 months and I have changed my mind 7 times. There are a lot of interesting stoves to use it all depends on what you want.

Check MSR Wisperlite
    Check this web site: Alcohol Stove - Packafeather.com
    Check this web site also: ZZSTOVE - HOME of the SIERRA and SIERRA TITANIUM STOVES

If you're starting within a month or so it's probably not a good time to experiment with alcohol or wood fired stoves.
    Get a nice, dependable, simple canister stove like a PocketRocket or Vargo Ti-Jet (or Jet-ti - same stove). Canisters are widely available along the AT and most brands will fit every new stove. Jet Boils force you to use their cookware (unless you buy an adaptor which adds to your pack weight).
    Sleep with your fuel on cold nights, and put it inside your insulation layer (jacket) when you reach camp, and you will get more efficient operation.
    White gas stoves are relatively heavier and more complicated to operate and repair. They are good for extremely cold conditions but are not necessary for most of what a thruhike requires.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thrntnandrw View Post
    I'm starting my through-hike within the next month or so and was wondering the best stove available to use. It was recommended to me to use a Jetboil with white gas although I'm unsure as to what model. I've also heard I can make my own stove with alcohol, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that.

-Thornton
    A lot pf people swear by the jet boil stove..but I'm not 100% sure but I think it uses a Butane and Propane canister.. they may make a white gas model though...I was just looking at an add on one today and it used the butane propane mix canister I think...I'm not sure about propane or the mixture but I had a stove once that used a Butane canister and it didn't work well at all when it was cold.. Butane (Bic) lighters won't work when they're cold until you warm em up in the palm of your hand ..I know that from experience..I guess if you don't go out in cold weather a canister stove would be cool ..
    I use a MSR Whisperlite Shaker jet with white gas
    There is some good instructions with photos here on WB to build alcohol stove ...here is the URL for that ...
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=1030

fill an empty water bottle with denatured alcohol and mark it and wrap duct tape around it so you can feel its not water even in the dark. now empty a can of cat food and fill it with an ounce or three of fuel. set any three rocks around it or any three objects, and place a cheap dollar store pot on it. now start thruhiking and observe stoves awhile. when at an outfitter in town, make your choice.
    matthewski

-Thornton
    Check Out Trails Designs Caldera Cone Keg systems. Mine weighs 4oz and is the JetBoil of the Ultralight. Easy and light. It's an alcohol stove and very easy to use. Switched from Jetboil to this at the end of last season and love it. Fuel is easy to find when compared to canisters.
    "May the Road Rise to Meet You"- The Wolfe Tones

Baron
    Images

-Thornton
    I have the Brunton Raptor, which I use the most. Being a gear addict I have a Whisperlite International I got at an REI sale("I'm actually saving money") annnnnnd I just bought the Jetboil because of Backcountry's sale, so I would have a stove system to loan out to my brother when we camp together.

I definately fulfill my patriotic duty in stimulating the economy.
    Last edited by Bucherm; 02-23-2011 at 15:19.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

wood gas stove

Jetboil is hella-ez, but it does weigh considerably more than my pocket rocket with a titanium pot. Just depends on your weight requirements, it's also quite bulky. I have both and love them both, I find warming up the butane canister isn't much of a big deal. Although some people don't like to wait. The new jetboil flash I got comes with a can stand and a stove stand (allows other pot/pan systems to rest on the stove) however if you use a different pot... why buy a jetboil? Especially for a thru.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    I have the Brunton Raptor, which I use the most. Being a gear addict I have a Whisperlite International I got at and REI sale("I'm actually saving money") annnnnnd I just bought the Jetboil because of Backcountry's sale, so I would have a stove system to loan out to my brother when we camp together.

I definately fulfill my patriotic duty in stimulating the economy.
    I hate materialism and consumerism, so I only buy stuff when I really need to. That said, Esbit tabs on a bent piece of sheet metal is what I use. Just as good as expensive stoves, and definitely much cheaper. I have never seen a point in spending more money than you absolutely have to.

I'd say it depends on what you like to eat. If you like to cook, a canister stove would be best. If your like me and struggle to boil water, an alcohol stove is a good choice.

just got the jet boil GCS which comes with a 1.5 liter pot and i also picked up a 1 liter companion cup so i could make my coffee and enjoy while im cooking my meals ... works great ... i will be carrying an extra canister at all times but im by no means a UL'er ... hope to see you out there im starting NOBO around april 7

Baron
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I hate materialism and consumerism, so I only buy stuff when I really need to.
    I prefer the term "One who enjoys the boons of civilization" good sir.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    fill an empty water bottle with denatured alcohol and mark it and wrap duct tape around it so you can feel its not water even in the dark. now empty a can of cat food and fill it with an ounce or three of fuel. set any three rocks around it or any three objects, and place a cheap dollar store pot on it. now start thruhiking and observe stoves awhile. when at an outfitter in town, make your choice.
    Now I know we all say stupid things from time to time, but your telling this person not to put any holes in his can how is this going to work? Unless I'm just not picturing it correct.

The best stove is NO stove. The only thing a stove is good for, is to make muffins which I was darn good at. Still it's a waste of time and more to worry about like clean up and takes up room in the pack. If I were to hike a long distance again I will NOT carry a stove. I did not for the first few months and it was so much more easy to sit down make a sandwich then consume it. While others are still cooking I had "green tea" in hand
    I don't know

Hash House Harrier

You sound pretty new to the stove game, so simpler is going to be better for you. I'd go with a canister stove, either an MSR Pocket Rocket or a Snow Peak Giga (or similar). It looks like you live pretty close to the West Hartford REI, so head over, grab a salesperson and ask them to help you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    I prefer the term "One who enjoys the boons of civilization" good sir.
    Well, I just don't see the point in spending money when you don't have to.

Whatever you get, before you leave for the trail, practice cooking with the stove. Get to know what it will do for you.

Baron
    Images

Cool

eh, nevermind

I think Jersey Tim has the right idea, canister stoves are small enough to not make a huge difference, and they are relatively cheap/reliable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralLee10 View Post
    Now I know we all say stupid things from time to time, but your telling this person not to put any holes in his can how is this going to work? Unless I'm just not picturing it correct.
    You're not picturing it right.

The only reason to punch holes in a cat food can is to set the pot directly on the can and not smother the fire.lf you use rocks to hold your pot above the can it works fine. Probably better, in fact, than a Supercat.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++