WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Day Hikes

Images

Default Day Hikes

If your only out for the day and want to carry a couple meals plus drinks and maybe a few snacks, what kind of pack/size do you use ?

I had simply used a regular backpack that I used to use when I was in college to tote my books in. Then I found an REI 25L Trail pack very inexpensively so I picked it up. It is very similar to the regular backpack that I used before except it is a little more geared towards backpackers/hikers. It features a hip strap, not belt but strap. This more so helps to stabilize the pack rather than bear weight. It also has a sternum strap for this same reason. It has a bladder sleeve and ports for the tube to exit and it has a side pocket on each side to carry water bottles or something that you want fast access too. Here is a little write up I did on it:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/my...-l-trail-pack/

However, I have successfully used this on a very minimalistic overnight trip in the Smokies. (At least for me. The total pack weight was 14 pounds, but I understand that some of the SUL guys carry this much for longer periods of time...) A full gear list and video of the pack being unpacked can be seen by clicking the link above.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

just a normal sized daypack deff not bigger than a middle school students book bag.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I use my regular pack, I am not concerned about the weight since I don't need to save any when you are only carrying 15 lbs.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

I picked up the Outdoor Products Skyline 8.0 at Walmart for day hikes. Big enough to be useful when conditions warrant, I like it a lot. Inexpensive too, around $30.00 I think.

Images

Default Osprey Stratos 24

I use an Osprey Stratos 24. It is overkill as a say pack, but I bought it because it was the smallest backpack I could find with a hip belt capeable of carrying weight. I also use it for training (when I do that which is rare); it can easily carry 20 lbs with comfort, which at 2/3 my usual pack weight, is a good (max) work out load.

It has great features, and I am very pleased with this pack. Very comfortable, good pockets (hip belt and shoulder strap). I also use this pack for my weekend tote bag when I camp with the scouts (car camping style, not backpacking). I generally put my hammock and bedding in a separate stuff sack and put everything else in this one. Very functional. I use it as much or more than I do my full backpack.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    If your only out for the day and want to carry a couple meals plus drinks and maybe a few snacks, what kind of pack/size do you use ?
    I used to use a Golite Peak-- 36L capacity, a little under 2lbs and I think that it cost me about $40 at one of their warehouse sales. However I still found this pack is still a little too big for my day hike needs and I have since switched to the REI Flash 18.

In the summer I can easily fit: my misc. items, rain gear, windshirt, down jacket, gloves, hat and then lunch. Although I never do, I could easily just leave my lunch out and throw in my alcohol stove cookset and a FB meal. There are also two daisy chains and separate ice axe loops on the pack.

Images

Thanks for the replies, I had not thought of using it as a training aid. I have a bigger pack (plans for hike through), that is a great idea. Probably be best to start out with a much lighter weight, since I am not use to carrying a pack. 20 lbs sounds much better than 35
    I mite should look for one with a decent load bearing waist belt

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    I picked up the Outdoor Products Skyline 8.0 at Walmart for day hikes. Big enough to be useful when conditions warrant, I like it a lot. Inexpensive too, around $30.00 I think.
    +1 I use the same pack. The only thing I dislike about it is it has no waist strap, but you really don't need it.

Its just a tad larger then a schoolbag pak, and hydration bladder compatable.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I personally think I am rougher on my daypacks than my overnight pack. I throw it in the back my truck and take it to do maintenance, so I don't want to put a whole lot of money into it.

You can just go to Walmart and get you a cheap day pack or hydration pack for day hikes. The Outdoor Product line at Walmart have a nice selection. $15-$30.

Target has a small line of Kelty packs. But they are higher in price.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

I use an old heavy Gregory because I Use my day hikes for training. I fill water bottles to provide the weight and if I want to shed the weight, I just pour the water out. I know water bottles don't pack well, but its still good training.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

+1 for using water bottles to adjust weight as needed.

I have used this method for training and it works well. I just use 2 liter bottles.

I use my regular pack and only put in what I plan to carry that particular day.

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    I use my regular pack, I am not concerned about the weight since I don't need to save any when you are only carrying 15 lbs.
    me too
    hehe

Images

Default re: Day hike backpack

Same pack I use on the trail. I keep my $30 Walmart OP Arrowhead packed at all times. Its nice to have a hammock or cook set handy on day hikes. I usually keep 1-2 days of food and snacks in the pack ready to go. Just add water. (I often jam a liter of Aquafina into a side pocket so the pack is usually fully stocked)
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

I personally use the Mountain Hardware Enterprise. It is a good solid pack with plenty of room for a day. It also has a hydration port on the top for a water bladder hose. A small hip belt is attached along with a sternum strap. The shoulder straps themselves are nicely padded. I recommend it. Below is a link to a better description.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Ente...efault,pd.html

Images

I use a mountain smith lumbar pack. The biggest one they make. I can haul a lot of stuff if I need to.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

++ New Posts ++