WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Winding Stair to NOC questions

Rocket and I are doing Winding Stair to NOC late March (probably 3/18ish or 3/25ish-weekend warrioring it due to work schedules and that we live in Florida).

I am guessing water should be decent then with the 'thaw'.

Should we expect much of the thru crowd during this time?

Any cool views etc. that we should look for? Campsites taht may not be mentioned in the guide book?

Anyone ever had snow on that section on that time of year?

Thanks

water is not an issue in that section. there will be quite a few thru-hiker types. good views from silers bald, wayah bald and wesser bald

Images

Odds are you will see some thru hikers (unless the weather in early and mid March locks them out). But you'll have plenty of water.
    Last edited by Uncas10; 02-21-2011 at 13:47.

This a great section, I have walk it many times (mostly b/c I live in 10 minutes from Winding Stair Gap). The last time I went was the end of March last year and there was plenty of thru hikers. Water will not be a problem at all either. There also will be plenty of Trail Magic/Angels along the way(thats all nice). As said before the best views are Siler, Wayah, and Wesser (make sure you walk up to the top of Siler, its the best out of the three IMHO) When I went I stayed at the cold springs shelter and walked the rest of the way the following day(2 day trip). The toughest part of the trail is from Wesser to NOC, pretty steep downhill with lots a bigger rocks, but it still isn't that bad. Hope this helps, let me know if you guys need a ride or anything else that I maybe able to help with.

Images

Thanks, we may hit you up. I think Rocket has a buddy in Franklin, so, we may not need a ride. We plan on tenting it. doing it in 3 days. So that should be very doable.

I did Carvers to 19E last year on a truncated trip (a friend- the driver, bailed early). I love that section and am doing an overnighter in June when I go to Bakersville with the wife and youngin.

Agree...if it's clear, the view from Silers is awesome. The view from the fire tower after Tellico Gap is something to behold also. I'm kind of afraid of heights, but climbing the tower was well worth it.

Images
    It's a great day to be alive !

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bus View Post
    Rocket and I are doing Winding Stair to NOC late March (probably 3/18ish or 3/25ish-weekend warrioring it due to work schedules and that we live in Florida).

I am guessing water should be decent then with the 'thaw'.

Should we expect much of the thru crowd during this time?

Any cool views etc. that we should look for? Campsites taht may not be mentioned in the guide book?

Anyone ever had snow on that section on that time of year?

Thanks

there is a great campsite about a 1/2 mile or so past cold spring shelter. Plus...wayah shelter does not have many campspots near it so you might be better off continuing on to Licklog Gap since there will probably be quite a few thru's out there at that time.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Images

Siler bald is amazing plan to camp up top the sunsets are great. I'll be hiking burningtown gap to NOC this weekend Ill let you know what else I see
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yep lots of thrus but good hiking and views. Get to see the sunrises at the towers if you can. Enjoy.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

My favorite spot to camp on the AT is on the observation platform on Wesser. If the weather is good, you can see for miles. A billion stars at night. My biggest problem was that I stayed up way too late. Once in a while you do get locals coming up from the road. When I was there last we had a church group come in about 10pm.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

You guys will love that section. About the closest place to hit the AT from FL. There have been major snowstorms around that time. Just keep checking the weather. The other posters have told you the major places. The Wayah and Wesser towers are great places to see sunrises. Wesser has good sunset views. You can cowboy on Wesser if the weather is right (a lot of other people have had that idea). Blaze used to be scared to go up the Wesser Tower, but, now she goes right up. Go figure.

How's the shuttle coming along. Peace out.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Looking to do this section over Memorial Day. Can't wait. Actually starting at Deep Gap though.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

JaxHiker...did Wayah Gap to NOC last Memorial Day. Perfect time of year, good water, great views, and met a bunch of fine folks. Happy hiking.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Glad to hear it. Thanks! Really, really, really can't wait. I HAVE to get out of this cube!!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Meant to say did that hike Memorial Day WEEKEND. It was fun hiking into the NOC, pigging out, and getting a hot shower before the short drive home. Got there before breakfast ended. Cleaned up and poked around a bit, then went back for lunch! Seriously thinking about this same hike this year or starting at Fontana and hiking into the NOC southbound.

Wayah Bald: well worth the climb. Have fun! I never had a problem with water in this section. Cold Spring Shelter was my favorite cooking spot, due to the spring being right in front of the shelter. Campsites above the shelter are preferential to the shelter itself though.

Default Ride from NOC back to Winding Stair fell thru

My buddy is back in Florida for three weeks. Anyone know of a shuttle from NOC back to Winding Stair Gap? We'd need it on Friday March 25th, early afternoon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Images

We plan on hitting the trail around 2 or 3 pm on Friday-after the drive up form Florida, hoping to camp on Siler Bald, or very near, the, hike about 8-10 miles each day to NOC on Monday.

Are there many campsites at Licklog Gap? That should be a little over 8 miles past Siler Bald. which will be good for the 2nd night

I figure Wesser Shelter or near there on the third night. Unless someone has a tip for a nice campsite near this mileage.

Then finish up at NOC Monday.

But, yeah a ride back to Winding Stair would be nice.

Images

Hello bus.

I hiked same section last November. You can see pictures I posted on my gallery (picture No. 0175...~0205...). Call NOC (828-488-7230) Outfitter's Store for shuttle information. The store will not shuttle hikers, however they have business cards for others who do provide rides. We actually got a ride from one of their employee after they got off work. Our original ride never left us hanging, did not bother to show up. Leave yourself enough time to take a shower - In November it was free for hikers - and eat at the restaurant on the river. Excellent food....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++