WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: NJ Hiker Needs

Default NJ Hiker Needs

I thru hiked the PCT last summer and received so much love from trail magic and trail angels, I would love to give back! I just moved to the NJ area, specifically near Culvers Gap/Delaware Water Gap. I don't have a ton of flexibility with my job so I can't really host or shuttle hikers, but I would like to help out however I can in other ways. What do hikers need in this area? Is there already a trail angel in the area that could use some help during the hiker season? Is there a waterless stretch I could provide some water? Really, any and all suggestions I would welcome. Thanks!

Serial Hiker
    Images

There is definitely a shortage of water in the summer. I wish I lived closer. I have this idea to tote water up to the Mashipacong shelter from Deckertown Turnpike which is only a 0.25 mile walk. I'm sure a cooler of water at the AT parking area on Rt. 94 would be well received as well as perhaps Millbrook-Blairstown Rd. or Blue Mtn Lakes Rd. Maybe others closer by know better.

A big thanks for anything you do for our hikers here in Jersey! Welcome! Hope to meet you someday!
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker2010 View Post
    I thru hiked the PCT last summer and received so much love from trail magic and trail angels, I would love to give back! I just moved to the NJ area, specifically near Culvers Gap/Delaware Water Gap. I don't have a ton of flexibility with my job so I can't really host or shuttle hikers, but I would like to help out however I can in other ways. What do hikers need in this area? Is there already a trail angel in the area that could use some help during the hiker season? Is there a waterless stretch I could provide some water? Really, any and all suggestions I would welcome. Thanks!
    Here's a suggestion, join the NY/NJ Trail Conference and volunteer to be a trail maintainer, shelter maintainer, or AT corridor boundary monitor. That way you can help hikers and the trail at the same time and there's a lot of satisfaction to be had knowing you're part of a much bigger effort.

Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    There is definitely a shortage of water in the summer. I wish I lived closer. I have this idea to tote water up to the Mashipacong shelter from Deckertown Turnpike which is only a 0.25 mile walk. I'm sure a cooler of water at the AT parking area on Rt. 94 would be well received as well as perhaps Millbrook-Blairstown Rd. or Blue Mtn Lakes Rd. Maybe others closer by know better.

A big thanks for anything you do for our hikers here in Jersey! Welcome! Hope to meet you someday!
    Had this covered since 7/10. Met some great people as a result. It was a nice part of the day to hit the box at dawn, stock it up on citrus and water
    and read the log. Looking forward to doing the same this year.

I drop water at mashipicong ocasionally in dry times.Whoever is caretaker there does a heckuva upkeep there. Thanks for all your efforts!

Water is ALWAYS appreciated, regardless of where on the trail. As I recall, the area south of High Point was one that could use an angel. If you find that another trail angel is helping at one road crossing, try another one a few miles away, because not every angel can get to the trail on a regular schedule.

Thanks all for your suggestions and information! I will scope out the access points closest to me, which is south of High Point, and see what I can do in the way of water and such. From what I've seen of the trail so far in New Jersey I've been impressed! It's quite pretty with all the lakes. Thanks!

Going to second Skid on the water around highpoint. In July-August most of the streams are dry.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker2010 View Post
    You could help out at the Church of the Mountains hiker hostel in DWG- Matthewski sometimes goes and just does handy work and it sounds like they really appreciate it. And there are some iffy water spots just north of Lehigh Gap sometimes during the summer. I went with a cooler of soda and ice water last year, and left it in the parking lot at the DWG trailhead for a couple hours, but I felt a little pointless since most of the long distance hikers coming thru would be hitting the town in about .2 miles. But, it was a hot day...
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

It doesn't matter, its the thought that counts! I'm sure that last .2 miles was a hell of alot more enjoyable with a cold soda in your hand!

I'm about 1hr from DWG, if anyone wants to get together and do some maintenance or something please PM me. Once schools over and work slows down, it'll be time for me to start giving back.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I came downhill into Damascus from the South a few years back and there was a cooler with bottled water and soda in it...ice cold. Over top of it was a sign saying "Welcome to Virginia"......Not too far into town but the last bit of the walk was much better after running across this kindness

++ New Posts ++