WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CivilAir Rugger View Post
    So my question is what kind of pack should I buy for a section hike??

Do you have the rest of your gear?

The "norm" is generally between 3,000-4,500 cubic inches (depending on how long you go between resupply and what your personal weight threshold is). What you'll want to decide first is what all you need, at a minimum, for a safe and enjoyable excursion. Make a list of "Necessary" and a list of "Like to Have". It's up to you, but generally the "Like to Have" list will be left behind.

Peruse the websites for Osprey, Granite Gear, Gregory, ULA, Deuter, GoLite, Arc'teryx . . . . . I know I'm forgetting a few, but anyways check to see where they are sold, and then go visit said outfitter for a proper fit. They'll have weights for the bags and usually an incline, so you can get a feel for a full pack and your center of balance. I personally bought (sight unseen) an Osprey that just didn't fit me right - finally drove out to Chicago, tried on everything in the stores, and finally settled on a Gregory. A pack is something you should ALWAYS thoroughly try before you buy.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by CivilAir Rugger View Post
    For the water is it better to take a hydration pack or bottles of water?
    This is a personal thing, I use gatorade bottles, especially in areas where water is ubundant. I just find them easier to deal with, plus I know too many folks who have a had a bladder leak on them. It is nice to have the mouthpiece right there though.

Images

I have a 3L hydration bladder, its vey handy for hauling water to camp. I usually dont fill the bladder unless its unusually dry, but I found I can fit 2L in a 3L baldder but I cant get 3L into a 2L, no matter how hard Ive tried. I used to carry Nalgenes, but Gatorade bottles are a lot lighter, then I found with the bladder and my cup, there was no need for an extra bottle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++