WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question night sweats, drying things out

Hi.

Mostly in the past now, I used to sweat alot while I slept, and I would wake up quite sweaty, wet, and chilled. I'm healthier now and this doesn't happen as often and not as badly. Hopefully, it won't happen very much at all.

But I'm thinking about if it does happen on some nights, will this be a problem during a thru-hike starting late March? Would this cause a down sleeping bag to gradually become wet over several nights making it like wet toilet paper? Would there be time to hang it out to dry? What if it were raining for several days in a row? How would I keep things dry?

I've thought of some possible solutions.
    1 - Use a sleeping bag liner. This would get wet instead of my down bag (which I haven't bought yet but plan to). And the liner would be easier to dry (I think).
    2 - Wear long sleeve thermal layer which I can take off if it gets wet, then hang on my pack or in a mesh pocket to dry while I hike?

Again I'm wondering how one drys things out if the rain keep coming for multiple days in a row, especially if the max temperature is not getting very high during the day.

Thank you Whiteblazers in advance for sharing your experience and knowledge.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A silk liner might work. But have you been checked for this by an MD? I'd get evaluated first as to why you sweat and see if its a hypothalmus/ pituitary issue. For me, I'm going through that marvelous change thing which is why I've been sweating at night.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

After multiple days of rain things, including sleeping bags, will get damp. Bag get damp just sleeping in them. Airing out/drying my bag is just part of my daily routine. If things really get out of hand you can stop in town and throw the stuff in a coin operated dryer.

As long as it's nOt raining the first thing I do when I wake up each morning (after I pee) is turn my sleeping bag inside out and hang it On the clothes line to air and dry out.
    "Bravo" NoBo 3/20/11
    Trail Journal @ HikersCircle.com

Trail name=juggernaut Still a Master of Sarcasm though.

I'm not experienced, but I was wondering why you would have a down filled sleeping bag instead of a synthetic if you have problems with sweating.

Down does not handle wet very well, and if you sweat a lot it may be worth considering a different material.

Also plan to not be able to dry anything for a week or so at a time. Plan for the worst.

Just my .02
    Brad

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jang View Post
    I used to sweat alot while I slept, and I would wake up quite sweaty, wet, and chilled.
    Too much insulation makes you hot, you sweat, you're wet, you chill. Not an uncommon problem.

But I'm thinking about if it does happen on some nights, will this be a problem during a thru-hike starting late March? Would this cause a down sleeping bag to gradually become wet over several nights making it like wet toilet paper? Would there be time to hang it out to dry? What if it were raining for several days in a row? How would I keep things dry?
    Yes your down bag will get damp. It's up to you to make time to hang it. If it rains for a week everything gets wet.

I've thought of some possible solutions.
    1 - Use a sleeping bag liner. This would get wet instead of my down bag (which I haven't bought yet but plan to). And the liner would be easier to dry (I think).
    2 - Wear long sleeve thermal layer which I can take off if it gets wet, then hang on my pack or in a mesh pocket to dry while I hike?
    Use a vapor barrier liner.

I agree with Blissful, if assuming you're not sleeping in a really hot room or something, if you're waking up sweaty enough to be wet and chilled, you need medical evaluation, if you havent already been cleared for this (I'm an MD). Not sure what you mean by being healthier now, but i would not ignore this.

Journal Entries
    Images

Bliz1 - is right here - there is a lot more info needed here weight size, age and overall state of health even if you are better.

I fail to see how a silk liner would help at all in this case as silk would absorb very little water, but would dry out fast, Cotton would grab more at night and not dry out at all unless it was very wind or bright, (Remember Mom's clothes line?)

I would recommend an inexpensive thin polypro bag and if it becomes damaged over the week you can throw it out exspecially if it doesn't come clean. Use it as a piece of test gear with up-grading in mind later. If it lasts there still no harm done and go get a better one.

This way you wont drop $200-300 and ruin it.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

It is my age, and I do sweat at night, but I have done down and synthetic. I think down does better for me. The key is to wear very breathable night clothes. No thermals or flannel, but stuff that breathes...or next to nothing in the sleeping bag. It is not flop sweat or stinky work out sweat. We just glow at night.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    Too much insulation makes you hot, you sweat, you're wet, you chill. Not an uncommon problem.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz1 View Post
    I agree with Blissful, if assuming you're not sleeping in a really hot room or something, if you're waking up sweaty enough to be wet and chilled, you need medical evaluation, if you haven't already been cleared for this (I'm an MD). Not sure what you mean by being healthier now, but i would not ignore this.
    It's not only about too much insulation. Night sweats can be due to mid life hormonal changes, or your body's response to too much physical activity. Both of these are normal. It can also signal a latent disease. I'd get checked out by a doc if you don't fall into the first group.

A VB would protect your bag from the moisture, but would prevent your clothes from drying out. I'd rather wake up dry and air my down bag out, but HYOH.
    Last edited by Egads; 03-01-2011 at 06:58.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    It is my age, and I do sweat at night, but I have done down and synthetic. I think down does better for me. The key is to wear very breathable night clothes. No thermals or flannel, but stuff that breathes...or next to nothing in the sleeping bag. It is not flop sweat or stinky work out sweat. We just glow at night.
    Agree. I can't use a synthetic bag because it doesn't breathe as well as my down and I glow even more. Down works better for me and as mentioned I air dry it was often as possible. A pretty day and I hang my bag in the sun while having lunch etc.

Also agree that breathable fabrics like EMS Techwear shirt works better for me. Cotton just gets wet and stays wet.
    Sue Buak

Quote Originally Posted by blitz1 View Post
    I agree with Blissful, if assuming you're not sleeping in a really hot room or something, if you're waking up sweaty enough to be wet and chilled, you need medical evaluation, if you havent already been cleared for this (I'm an MD). Not sure what you mean by being healthier now, but i would not ignore this.
    I have been tested for HIV and I do not have it, as I understand that HIV or AIDS can cause night sweats.

It used to happen more in the past when I drank alcohol and did wild things. Like I said, the sweats are much better now, yet still occur infrequently.

In the past I was so ill, sweating at night was not high on the list when complaining to my doctor. Now having taken my health mostly into my own hands, I suspect it could be an internal candida infection, which writers claim 9 out of 10 people unknowingly have, and which typical doctors ignore anyway. I would be happy however to meet a holistic doctor who does not give me crap medicine which causes me more illnesses. Still, thank you for your concern and care.

I have never used a down bag so my concern was whether I would be able to dry it out faster than it gets wet. I think I will order a down bag and test out liners or various ways of sleeping in it.

I just looked through the sleeping bag threads in this section of the forum, I remember someone linked to a 0 degree down bag at a good price.. around $150? I can no longer find the link. Does anyone know the bag/seller/link?

This is the cheapest 0 rating down bag I could find. I'm not sure whether I should buy one right away or if the rating is deceptive. I could not find any "high peaks" manufacturers website on Google.

http://www.amazon.com/Goose-Down-Deg...8997778&sr=1-8

I am getting the message that my sleeping bag is one of, if not the, most important pieces of my gear. I should probably invest in a good one.
    I have done camping trips, and many day hikes of mountains, but I haven't really combined them into a backpacking trip.

Images

Lots of people have used Campmor's house brand down sleeping bags, $149 for a 0F bag:
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40067 A zero degree bag will be way too warm for later in your hike; perhaps someone more familiar with southern mountain weather will advise you on whether you need it for the beginning of a late March start.

Quote Originally Posted by crazystick View Post
    As long as it's nOt raining the first thing I do when I wake up each morning (after I pee) is turn my sleeping bag inside out and hang it On the clothes line to air and dry out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post

Yes your down bag will get damp. It's up to you to make time to hang it. If it rains for a week everything gets wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Nature View Post
    Agree. I can't use a synthetic bag because it doesn't breathe as well as my down and I glow even more. Down works better for me and as mentioned I air dry it was often as possible. A pretty day and I hang my bag in the sun while having lunch etc.

Also agree that breathable fabrics like EMS Techwear shirt works better for me. Cotton just gets wet and stays wet.
    bits and pieces:

first thing I do in the morning with a down bag is to squeeze as much (wet humid ...) air out of the bag while it is still warm before the water vapor condenses in the down

if you can stand it use a vapor barrier next to your skin to keep the bag dry

hanging the bag as needed in the sunshine with the black lining toward the sun light is useful

if the bag is wet you can get it dry on the trail by sleeping in it optionally with a vapor barrier - works better with barrier but still works if without - you may be cold but the heat from your body will dry the bag

snowleopard - yes that was the link, thanks.
    hog on ice, and others - thanks for the tips on how to dry.

Jang...this is a problem I have quite frequently....unfortunately I'm at that age! But, in any account, make sure you don't sleep with too much clothing and by all means use a liner (I too always use a down bag and worry about it getting "wet"). Since I tend to sleep with just lightweight thermal pants and top, I often (if it's cold) have a fleece sweater tucked in the bag with me in case I need to temporarily drape it over my torso. ALso, it will be helpful to sleep with a hat or at least have it near by (is easy to take off too if you are sweaty). I also always have a relatively loose and lightweight pair of socks and because they are loose, I can use my big toes to take them off when I get hot.
    Good luck but don't stress too much about it...March will be cold but warm weather is on the way for you!

Default Night sweats - diabetes and/or BPV

Still working through this issue. I have diabetes. That is the reason that my metabolism is abnormal. Getting checked for diabetes is a good move for anyone who remotely might have the disease. My glucose levels are well controlled by limiting carbohydrates and exercising, along with moderate drug therapy. A1c 5.4 - healthy non-diabetic level.

Metformin is possibly the most commonly used diabetes drug. It is cheap and effective at moderating insulin resistance. Taking additional Metformin at bedtime makes a substantial difference for me. I tried adjusting the dosage of my combination drug Metformin/Actos for a few nights without consulting my doctor, being careful not to exceed the allowable dosage guidelines. Once I knew that it made a big difference, I asked the doctor for a prescription for Metformin alone as a supplement. Initially only 250 mg at bedtime was what it took. Still, I have to be a little too cool when falling asleep in order not to wake up in a sweat about 2 AM at home in my temperature controlled bedroom.

Sleeping on the trail is a bit more difficult. If the bag is too warm, it is very difficult to stay dry. I use a silk bag liner and find that I can remove the bag liner and dry off before climbing back into the bag. The bag liner contains most of the moisture. I am going to carry a second 4-5 oz bag liner from this point as insurance. I need a dry one at the start of the night and another dry one in case I sweat.

My sleep is so sound, that often I do not wake up before I am drenched. It is better to wake up cold and dry, rather than wet and sweaty. Since the temperature generally decreases as the night goes on and my metabolism issue subsides after approximately 3AM, I find that I can add insulation (or decrease ventilation) after I wake up cold and not have sweating issues from then on. A quilt worked well the last time I was out.

Many years ago, I had a hernia repaired. That was before I was diagnosed with diabetes or had had night sweats. Following the surgery, I had intense night sweats every night. I also had benign positional vertigo. After the canalith repositioning procedure, the vertigo disappeared and the night sweats stopped abruptly. Do you get dizzy when you move your head suddenly? BPV.

++ New Posts ++