WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default It Is Good to Live in the South

I had a few hours Saturday afternoon to kill so I decided to walk about for a while. I got on the trail at Woody Gap and walked the 3.5 miles west to Gooch Gap and then back to Woody Gap. Friends, it was a great day to be alive and in the woods. The sun was out, the air was warm and spring is just around the corner here in Georgia. I am setting up my vacation plans this morning.

Only John

aka Kudzu
    Images

You suck.

Sure was a nice weekend. Glad you got to get on the trail to enjoy it.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

Always a good day when you can get on the trail, even for a bit. Glad you got to enjoy it!

Images

I’m in total agreement!

I spent Sunday at Morrow Mtn SP in NC. It’s about 50 mile southeast of Charlotte.
    Got in about 15 miles carrying my full pack (28lbs). That park makes a great place to
    do tune up’s and shakedowns and it helps me gat in shape for my section hikes. I live about 4 hours from the AT so, this is much more covenant I would highly recommend that place for anyone that lives in the area & want a decent weekender or day hike. The trails are not very long, but there are some very steep assents. With a little imagination, I can walk for 6 or 7 hours a day and not see the same thing twice.

I do feel for our friends north of the Mason Dixon.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyJohn View Post
    I had a few hours Saturday afternoon to kill so I decided to walk about for a while. I got on the trail at Woody Gap and walked the 3.5 miles west to Gooch Gap and then back to Woody Gap. Friends, it was a great day to be alive and in the woods. The sun was out, the air was warm and spring is just around the corner here in Georgia. I am setting up my vacation plans this morning.

Only John
    keep that s*** to yourself!
    just kiddin' wish i lived close to the trail
    might just have to pack up and do something about it

Default hmmm

good to live in the south huh?

Just wait till summer hits. It's 95 degrees with 90 percent humidity. Meanwhile, up here in New England we'll be enjoying a nice breezy 70 something degrees with blue skies. Then there's our brilliant fall colors.

I rest my case.

It's good to live in the southwest, too. I went for a nice hike in the very rare snow. Hiked down from the summit and out of the snow. Found mushrooms to take home for dinner. Spent some time basking in the warm spring sun in a meadow. Hiked back up to the summit, still in snow, but much had melted. Had a great dinner of lobster ravioli with fresh mushrooms and goat cheese cream sauce.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

it's good to live no matter where it is. 2 years ago today i almost bought the farm so i'm just happy to be breathing

Don't take being able to walk for granted either.

Images

Default wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's good to live no matter where it is. 2 years ago today i almost bought the farm so i'm just happy to be breathing
    we're glad to LW.... but I sure wish I was in GA right now.... gotta wait 2 more weeks though, promised Mom I wouldn't miss her birthday this year

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Just wait till summer hits. It's 95 degrees with 90 percent humidity.
    And what's wrong with THAT?!!! Our skin is nice and moist and supple all summer long. LOTS of people pay big bucks on moisturizers to get skin like we get for free! You ever try to play tennis in Colorado on a summer afternoon? You skin dries out, gets a salty crust, and starts to CRACK. Right before the lightning strikes and kills you, but that's something else.

Plus, we don't have to join gyms and health clubs to go to saunas like Yankees do!

Yes, it's great to live in the South!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    we're glad to LW.... but I sure wish I was in GA right now.... gotta wait 2 more weeks though, promised Mom I wouldn't miss her birthday this year
    i'm goin' to georgia in 3 weeks. gonna join circuit rider and sherlock for a little walkin'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Good post. You are so right

Talking Every Place has its good points.

I do like the north in the fall.
    I prefer the south, deep south in the winter.
    Heat & humidity are dealt with by ways of air conditioning.
    The extreme cold is dealt with by a furnance.

Actually ,I think the weather of San Diego has it all beat. That place is really beautiful much of the year. If I hike the PCT I may get to the southern terminus and say "I'm not going anywhere, this place is too nice, I'm staying right here." I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened before.
    THE LONGER YOU LIVE THE OLDER YOU GET

Images

I hiked 16 miles this weekend along the Suwannee River the weather was absolutely perfect. Woke up to dew falling off the trees landing on my tent just enough to make it soothing. It was a great weekend in the south.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

You can't beat the ability to hike in the South in winter.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

spent the day watching bald eagels down by the river great to be in the north this time of the year. maybe today I will go out to see if any seals happen by the beach

[QUOTE=DavidNH;1121413]good to live in the south huh?

Just wait till summer hits. It's 95 degrees with 90 percent humidity. Meanwhile, up here in New England we'll be enjoying a nice breezy 70 something degrees with blue skies. Then there's our brilliant fall colors

Yeah, that weather will be good for the two weeks when it is there. As for the 95 degree days, that is why the Lord invented air conditioning and cold spring water coming out of a mountain.

I think it is good to LIVE wherever you might happen to stay.

Only John

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    good to live in the south huh?

Just wait till summer hits. It's 95 degrees with 90 percent humidity. Meanwhile, up here in New England we'll be enjoying a nice breezy 70 something degrees with blue skies. Then there's our brilliant fall colors.

I rest my case.
    HMMMM, If I remember correctly, it was hotter in New England last summer than in the southern states. Besides I'll take the heat. Longer spring and summer weather. What the heck, I was still hanging out by the pool at the first of October.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah I took a 15 mile wander on Saturday in SNP. The only time my allergies didn't act up. Today they are awful.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++