WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hammock with down bag

I'm planning a end to end hike of the long trail this summer. Is it safe for me to bring my down bag with me? I know down is useless when wet, and I was wondering if that will be an issue or not on the trail. This will be my first extended hike.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

From my brief (1 yr) experience with a hammock I can tell you this - you will have to sleep in the bag, in the hammock over a maybe 30 or 35 degree night and then decide for yourself.

When you lay on a down bag inside a hammock, you are compressing that down underneath you - to a virtually flat state, right? Down only works when it's trapping air (which is why it doesn't hold it's warmth when wet). Without some good insulation underneath you, you will be cold (even if the bag is perfectly dry).

Check out the post at www.hammockforums.net You'll get a feel for the advice from those who live and breathe hammocks.

You can also take a look at the set ups at www.hammockgear.com just to give you a visual as to what the "top quilt", "under quilt" jargon is refering to. You can also take a look at the pics I have up on my postholer.com journal - I have some of my quilts on there.

Good luck and have an awesome hike! Maybe I'll be that far north by then...

tf
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

Thanks for your input. I'm aware about UQs and topquilts. I just don't have the money right now to make that investment. I use a thermarest pad which will be my bottom insulation, and then I can use my bag as a topquilt. My real question was concerning whether a down+hammock combination is safe enough for an extended hike of the long trail.
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

Images

yes, I used a Warbonnet and a WM down bag last year with a down UQ and both were fine. Of course, I did have a nice big tarp (winter speer) to keep me dry

Images

Most hammock cottage industries make primarily down top quilts. It's perfectly safe as long as you have good coverage with your tarp. I've been out 5 days or more with a down top quilt/sleeping bag and I have been fine. Just take the necessary precautions for wet weather (bag liner, water proof dry bag, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    My real question was concerning whether a down+hammock combination is safe enough for an extended hike of the long trail.
    I've used down bags for years, and never gotten them more than a bit damp. I used down bags and a Hennessy hammock for my AT thru-hike in '09, with no issues. After stuffing my bag into its stuff sack, I pout the stuff sack into a trash compactor bag, then put it in my pack. It can pretty much sit in a puddle and stay dry.

I am totally lost on the significance of using your bag in a hammock vis-à-vis keeping it dry.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

I've only used a down bag while hanging or on the ground. Make sure your tarp is set up properly, maybe try experimenting with some drip lines on your support lines. They helped stop any extra water from dripping down during really heavy rain.
    -milkman

got soul?

Thanks for your input. I'm aware about UQs and topquilts. I just don't have the money right now to make that investment. I use a thermarest pad which will be my bottom insulation, and then I can use my bag as a topquilt. My real question was concerning whether a down+hammock combination is safe enough for an extended hike of the long trail.

You might check out Insultex UQ and TQs.
    IX insulates when wet, and can be easily field dried.
    Is light and very warm
    Compresses about the same as down
    and is a fraction of the cost of down.

2 links that might help you out:
    IX TQ I just made:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29579

IX UQ I made:
    http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a...-camping-myog/

Everyone is different. Make sure you spend several nights in your setup before you decide what to take. Some folks love a thermarest in the hammock, some HATE them.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

You'll be just fine. Put your mat under you in the hammock. Use you bag as a quilt (unzipped). Get a trash compactor bag for a pack liner.

Down bags are not dessicants. The outer case is DWR material and sheds water. You would really have to work at dunking and holding it underwater to actually soak it.

It would be wise to camp out a few times at home to test your details.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

I've been using a down bag in my hammock for a year now and haven't had any problems. Make sure you keep it in a dry sack it'll be fine. I don't know if its because Hammocks have more ventilation or what but since I switched to a hammock my bag doesn't have that clamy feeling when I get ready to go to bed. Anytime it got below 50° in a tent ir felt like my bag was damp.

You'll be fine. Don't worry about it.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Default setup

I'm planning a end to end hike of the long trail this summer. Is it safe for me to bring my down bag with me? I know down is useless when wet, and I was wondering if that will be an issue or not on the trail. This will be my first extended hike.
    Essentially, a hammock setup should be drier than a tent. A lot depends on your tarp and how well you use it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

I used a down UQ and TQ last May and June in Me & NH. I had no problem keeping things dry, comfy and cozy in some torrential multiday rains. Keep your sleeping bag in a waterproof bag and you will be fine. Have a great hike.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Your bag will work fine... Key is to fix the bottom insulation...As bridges freeze before roads so do butts...

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

++ New Posts ++